Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2016, 06:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Omerco

Thanks for the assist.

I could not find a Cyclic Expo in V4.09 software. You wouldn't be referring to the Cyclic Gains (adjusted via transmitter end point)?

On the Cyclic 1 Tab - I turned the Base Gains and rates down to 150 deg/sec and that gave me a Bell gain of 29 for both the Elevator and Aileron.

On the Tail 1 Tab - I turned the Control Rate down to 180 deg/sec and made Control Expo 45.

To much wind to try this tonight, will re-hover in the morning. Hopefully this is good enough to do a full battery hover with a little FWD flight to re-adjust the tail gain (currently 48, and get that rock solid before trying more aggressive moves.

See Screen shots...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cyclic 1 042816.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	649497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail 1 042816.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	649498  

Last edited by dtfeld; 04-28-2016 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: add screen shots
dtfeld is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2016, 06:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gravity is 9.8 m/s^2--that should be average acceleration in a hover. Your RPMs look great so far--when you start doing pitch pumps is when you'll see if you need more precomp. That small negative spike in servo buss voltage (down to 3.6V) is likely a logging error--your sticks weren't doing anything crazy to load servos when that occurred and the event log showed no error.

Dan
Old 04-28-2016, 08:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Gravity is 9.8 m/s^2--that should be average acceleration in a hover."

Ah ha! Now it makes sense. I was thinking in terms of g's. 9.8 m/s^2 = 1 g. 10 g's would have been pretty high. Lots to learn on this FBL...sure hope it's worth it.

Hoping to get the basics worked out, them move on to the auto level and gps functions. Calm wind predicted for tomorrow, so I'll get a good hover in and report back.

Got another setup ready to go into a new 550L

Thanks all!
Old 04-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtfeld View Post
Omerco

Thanks for the assist.

I could not find a Cyclic Expo in V4.09 software. You wouldn't be referring to the Cyclic Gains (adjusted via transmitter end point)?

On the Cyclic 1 Tab - I turned the Base Gains and rates down to 150 deg/sec and that gave me a Bell gain of 29 for both the Elevator and Aileron.

On the Tail 1 Tab - I turned the Control Rate down to 180 deg/sec and made Control Expo 45.

To much wind to try this tonight, will re-hover in the morning. Hopefully this is good enough to do a full battery hover with a little FWD flight to re-adjust the tail gain (currently 48, and get that rock solid before trying more aggressive moves.

See Screen shots...
There is no expo in the gui for cyclic, you should do it in your tx. I personally use only the expo in my tx also for the tail with zero set in the gui.

But if you have lowered your rates so much you need much lower expo than the ones I stated before. I think your rates are too low now. Normal start numbers for cyclic would be in the 220-240 range and 350-400 for tail
2 X X7 | Scorpion 4525 Ultimate 4+6T YY / Xnove 4530 525 | scorpion Tribunus 200II ESC | Edge 713 | Logo 690SX | Pyro 440 7+8T YY | Castle 120HV | X3 | 4S | HW 50A V2 ESC | Scorpion 2221 2050KV 9T D | SK540 / Brain2 | Mks
omerco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2016, 07:26 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Omerco:

I was thinking the same thing as I did it, but still trying to get a feel for how all this affect the heli, so on my end I'm "guessing" based on prior FBL units. I appreciate everybody's input. I'm going back and do as you suggest.

Along the same lines of trying to "tame it down"...

Stick Dead bands - I thought about this last night...I have 2% Stick Dead bands on all 3 axes (default setting). I expect that the first 2% of stick travel produces no output, then as stick deflection increased beyond that 2% I get a large change in control output, especially considering I had linear control curves. Expo should help, but I don't think I need the Dead bands with the Expo.

I think I need to turn Dead bands OFF, or to 0 and use Expo in the transmitter instead. Anybody else use stick dead bands or turn it OFF?
Old 04-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtfeld View Post
Omerco:

I was thinking the same thing as I did it, but still trying to get a feel for how all this affect the heli, so on my end I'm "guessing" based on prior FBL units. I appreciate everybody's input. I'm going back and do as you suggest.

Along the same lines of trying to "tame it down"...

Stick Dead bands - I thought about this last night...I have 2% Stick Dead bands on all 3 axes (default setting). I expect that the first 2% of stick travel produces no output, then as stick deflection increased beyond that 2% I get a large change in control output, especially considering I had linear control curves. Expo should help, but I don't think I need the Dead bands with the Expo.

I think I need to turn Dead bands OFF, or to 0 and use Expo in the transmitter instead. Anybody else use stick dead bands or turn it OFF?
The stick deadband setting is there to account for any small stick centering errors seen from your TX at bootup. This can change as temps change. Use the Expo in your TX for tuning the stick center feel, not the deadband in the SK.

1-2% deadband on the SK side is typically fine
Old 04-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use 0.5 dead and for cyclics with my dx9, which is very accurate at centers. You want it as low as possible.

The tail is a little different and I leave it with 2 to prevent erroneous tail movement on quick collective inputs.
2 X X7 | Scorpion 4525 Ultimate 4+6T YY / Xnove 4530 525 | scorpion Tribunus 200II ESC | Edge 713 | Logo 690SX | Pyro 440 7+8T YY | Castle 120HV | X3 | 4S | HW 50A V2 ESC | Scorpion 2221 2050KV 9T D | SK540 / Brain2 | Mks
Old 04-29-2016, 01:16 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerco View Post
I use 0.5 dead and for cyclics with my dx9, which is very accurate at centers. You want it as low as possible.

The tail is a little different and I leave it with 2 to prevent erroneous tail movement on quick collective inputs.
I put a battery through it, trying to get the tail to "stick". Has just a slight side to side wag, and I set the tail gain from 50 down to 40. Tail wagged no matter the tail gain, and had a slight tendency to blow out on an easy pitch pump with the gain around 40. However, I think there may be something mechanical...the trex 500 tails always have a little slop in them, and that might be an issue here. Gotta go back and read.up on that.

Next item on the agenda, get Self Level & GPS functions working. 2% Deadband minimum for the self level to work...gerrrr. Any recommendations on the initial GPS Alt and Self Level Gain?

Currently:

GPS Alt Gain = 30

SL Mode = Center Stick, Gain =100
Old 04-29-2016, 01:27 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Slow wag is almost always mechanical, and usually related to binding somewhere. Less to slope.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:28 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm thinking it might be the push rod...a lot of up down movement as it goes through the guides.

I have 2 guides on the tail, may remove one and place other one slightly off center to avoid harmonic.

However, did get a second battery through it and settle on the tail gain at 45%, seems the best for now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in