Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's excellent!! Don't worry about the height thing, get yourself overly comfortable with the stick movements of the circuits you're doing. Then with hovering at different points in the circuit (3, 6, 9). Once you're able to do those to the point of being sick, THEN change something (IE: add altitude ). Good to hear of your breakthrough... almost sounds like an AA meeting here lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went home pumped and keen to have another go. I flew a couple of packs on the Walkera V400D02. I managed some pretty ok figure of 8's with the nose pointing in the direction of flight.

Later I went back on the sim and tried yesterday's excersise, keen to have a bash at hovering nose in, only to find my new found skill had deserted me and I was all over the place again.

More work required, but thanks for all the encouragement!
rbarra is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarra View Post
I went home pumped and keen to have another go. I flew a couple of packs on the Walkera V400D02. I managed some pretty ok figure of 8's with the nose pointing in the direction of flight.

Later I went back on the sim and tried yesterday's excersise, keen to have a bash at hovering nose in, only to find my new found skill had deserted me and I was all over the place again.

That's why we're all here!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarra View Post

:notew orthy
AcidDrink is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've started picturing the heli and controls as I go to sleep at night. I picture it right side in, left side in, head in, and I imagine the controls and how the heli moves as I move the sticks.

I can't hold a good steady hover, but I can move the heli around pretty good. I'm still trying to figure out my visual cues that tells me which way it's going to move next. Tail in is pretty good, but my visual cues for tail in don't seem to work for the other orientations.

edit to add, this is on my Phoenix sim, no RL experiance yet.

Last edited by AKjeff; 01-28-2011 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: add detail
AKjeff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjeff View Post
I've started picturing the heli and controls as I go to sleep at night. I picture it right side in, left side in, head in, and I imagine the controls and how the heli moves as I move the sticks.

I can't hold a good steady hover, but I can move the heli around pretty good. I'm still trying to figure out my visual cues that tells me which way it's going to move next. Tail in is pretty good, but my visual cues for tail in don't seem to work for the other orientations.

edit to add, this is on my Phoenix sim, no RL experiance yet.
Good work with sim, keep at it. Once you feel comfortable with all your steady upright hovering orientations, break out the real deal. It'll almost be like learning all over again because of the "pucker" factor lol! You'll know how to do it but there's this fear that pops into your head about crashing and the noise the heli makes usually sets it in even more. Good thing at this point though vs. others that haven't spent the sim time is that your reflexes for what to do will be engrained already and even though that fear factor is present, the reflexes will help immensely in reacting how you should. Keep it up!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:37 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Something that worked for me when i was learning side on and nose in orientations was to say to myself in my head what control input to use. For example: Left a bit, forwards a bit, right a bit, right again, etc......... This really helped to start with because I was always thinking about what I needed to do next to stop the heli from getting away from me. As soon as I lost this concentration I would put a wrong input in and panic. Just steady yourself for another go...

Also what really helped me was to watch and then practice the Rchelicopter1 flight school videos from John Salt on Youtube. Even when you're just moving side to side tail in, you are actually learning side on orientations.

Now I hover my little Blade 120SR nose in for at least 2-3 batteries every day for currency and that has really helped cement these skills into my brain, I can now nose in hover my Blade 400 pretty steady (with training gear still on as this has saved me a few quid).

Its all about practice...................
danny875 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in