Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Belt CP

Belt CP E-Sky Belt CP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Problem with Esky Head Lock Gyro Setup

Hi. I have an Esky Belt CP. I recently switched the original esky professional gyro for the head lock 000855 version per several recomendations I have read. I cannot get the gyro to function properly. When connected, the tail servo will move, but will not center properly. This causes the heli to get stuck spinning in one direction. I have tried swapping sevos and adjusting the delay and range settings on the gyro with no effect. I made sure the control linkage is not binding. If I plug the tail servo directly into the receiver or flip the gyro switch on the transmitter, the tail funtions correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
silver93t is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That is not necessarially wrong. Your gyro is a headlock gyro and in heading hold mode it will continuously try to move the tail to where it thinks is the correct center position.
If you try in rate mode it should center properly, though.

Here is a thread on setting up your gyro : https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=81986

RC Heli Lounge on Discord : https://discord.gg/92HmhxWK
Tjomp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

What is happening is after i spin it up the tail gets stuck to either side and the heli just wants to spin. I was told a head lock gyro is better.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also I don't have an aftermarket transmitter. I have the stock esky transmitter. It does have a gyro switch but I thought that turns it off?

Also my gyro says 000855 on it, not the number shown on that thread.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

From what I can see the EK2-0704B is the same as EK-000866. http://www.rc711.com/shop/esky-ek207...yro-p-857.html

The switch on your TX does not turn off the gyro but turns off heading hold mode. Or rather switch between heading hold and rate mode.

The problem you describe could be that your gyro is reversed.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thats seems to be what I have. If I have the tail servo channel in reverse, then the gyro should be set in reverse correct? What is the head holding mode for? Hovering?
Old 01-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also the directions on that site say that the remote gain on the transmitter must be disabled? How do I do that?
Old 01-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

After your tail is set up, you will want to fly in heading hold mode all the time.

I found this guide that I think will answer all your questions : http://www.chopperaddict.co.uk/chopp...t-tips-47.html

Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver93t View Post
Thats seems to be what I have. If I have the tail servo channel in reverse, then the gyro should be set in reverse correct? What is the head holding mode for? Hovering?
1) Not exactly; gyro direction is about which way your gyro tries to compensate for yaw that you didn't put in. Don't worry about the relationship between servo and gyro direction. Firstly, set the servo up, so that it moves the way you want it to move by the Tx. Then go through the whole tail set up, which will allow you to determine and set the gyro direction as part of the process.

2) Heading hold mode / rate mode determines how the gyro tries to correct yaw drift. In heading hold mode, it remembers which way the heli is facing and will constantly try to make the heli go back to that direction, unless you as a pilot put a different input in. In rate mode, it has no idea which way it is facing, but is senses a turn and tries to stop that turn. Once it has stopped a turn, it stops trying to correct it.

Tjomp says you will always want to fly HH....and many people (most people) do; but I don't...lol. I found it wooden and didn't give me the feel of the heli. But it does keep the tail pointing where you want it, which when you are learning to hover, is right back at you! It gives you less to worry about, but for me it was learning to drive in an automatic car....only half a job.

That said, try flying 3D without it! Mind you, try driving an F1 car with a fully manual gearbox....
Old 01-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ran through the setup but can't get it to work. I did notice that my radio is a ppm version, not 2.4 and there is no remote gain adjustment on the radio. Is there a way to adjust the gain on this gyro or am I out of luck with this radio?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

@Luke : Indeed it was a little single minded of me to indicated that everybody wants HH mode all the time. I know that rate mode is quite popular with people flying scale helis and of course some others aswell. But if I understand Silver93t correctly, he has just swapped his rate gyro for a HH one. And setting it up in rate mode would defeat the purpose of swapping altogether.

@Silver93t : I have a hard time remembering all the specifics of the Belt CP. It's been a few years since I had one. But I had a FM radio for mine and I think it did have gyro gain adjustment. What excactly is the radio you are using ? (part number)

Old 01-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

hi there
im just poping in and then out. if your transmitter dosnt support remote gain sadly you have a problem. your giro has two leads, one has three wires and the second has only a single wire. disconnect the single wire to the reciever. now your options are using the pots on the giro its self so help set it up. i cant remember off the top of my head but your giro may default to rate mode without the remote gain option
foloow the others advice on setup

me well
have the heli's tail facing you without the giro connected so you just have the rudder connected to the reciever. what you want then using the rudder is for the servo to move the oppersite way you press the rudder.. i.e you move the rudder stick full left the tail servo should more far right and vice versa.now you have the servo working in the correct direction its time to connect the giro up correctly and go into setup mode or use the dip switches on the giro so set its direction correctly
if it just spins uncontrolably its time to reverse the giro
Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

once the heli stops spinning around and around it may thrash around left to right, using the pos on the giro(sensitivy or sens) slowly lower it down till the tail holds right and dosnt twitch left to right

edit you may need to reboot the giro after ajustments..power off heli then power on
Old 01-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjomp View Post
@Luke : Indeed it was a little single minded of me to indicated that everybody wants HH mode all the time. I know that rate mode is quite popular with people flying scale helis and of course some others aswell. But if I understand Silver93t correctly, he has just swapped his rate gyro for a HH one. And setting it up in rate mode would defeat the purpose of swapping altogether.

@Silver93t : I have a hard time remembering all the specifics of the Belt CP. It's been a few years since I had one. But I had a FM radio for mine and I think it did have gyro gain adjustment. What excactly is the radio you are using ? (part number)
This is the radio I have http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...adio-72mHz.jpg
Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here is a good thread on your radio : https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=68558

While your radio don't have a knob for adjusting gyro gain, the radio does indeed control gain with the gyro switch. It must be a preset number for rate and one for heading hold.

The Belt CP that I used to have came stock with the same radio and gyro you have right there. I indeed think that all your parts are compatible.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm going to try to reverse the gyro. I was thinking about it and may have it wrong.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver93t View Post
I'm going to try to reverse the gyro. I was thinking about it and may have it wrong.
Yep gyro was reversed. After all that it was as simple as flipping the switch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in