Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spektrum DX9 - Firmware Update Issues - Please help

Hi all,

I purchased a DX9 direct from Horizon Hobbies and it came with Firmware v1.01. The SD card that came with the unit was bad (as in, no matter what I tried it would not format), so I used a sandisk 32GB SD card to export the serial number, then registered, then downloaded the 1.06 firmware and attempted to flash the DX9 with it.

During the update, the screen flashed on, the progress bar increased a bit, then the screen flashed off, then back on and the progress bar started from scratch and got a bit farther, and this repeated about 8 times where finally the progress bar went all the way and the update completed. The DX9 then showed it was at 1.06.

I started seeing some odd issues where channel 7 was active but wasn't registering anymore with my helis. I then downgraded the firmware to 1.05 and the same update process happened again with the constant flashing and restarting.

I sent it back to HH and they shipped me out another one. The exact same thing is happening.

NOTE: I've tried multiple SD cards, 4GB, 16GB and 32GB.

Has anyone else seen this issue?
consequential is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by consequential View Post
Hi all,

I purchased a DX9 direct from Horizon Hobbies and it came with Firmware v1.01. The SD card that came with the unit was bad (as in, no matter what I tried it would not format), so I used a sandisk 32GB SD card to export the serial number, then registered, then downloaded the 1.06 firmware and attempted to flash the DX9 with it.

During the update, the screen flashed on, the progress bar increased a bit, then the screen flashed off, then back on and the progress bar started from scratch and got a bit farther, and this repeated about 8 times where finally the progress bar went all the way and the update completed. The DX9 then showed it was at 1.06.

I started seeing some odd issues where channel 7 was active but wasn't registering anymore with my helis. I then downgraded the firmware to 1.05 and the same update process happened again with the constant flashing and restarting.

I sent it back to HH and they shipped me out another one. The exact same thing is happening.

My flash process was the same (with the progress bar resetting then continuing with the screen flashing - I was on the phone with HH during this period and they indicated that was normal.) I don't currently have a 7 channel helicopter to test with, but at least your flashing experience was the same as mine (including the 128mb card it comes with not working). Hope that helps at least a little. Good luck!
ormandj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormandj View Post
My flash process was the same (with the progress bar resetting then continuing with the screen flashing - I was on the phone with HH during this period and they indicated that was normal.) I don't currently have a 7 channel helicopter to test with, but at least your flashing experience was the same as mine (including the 128mb card it comes with not working). Hope that helps at least a little. Good luck!
Thanks for that info bud. I had this posting elsewhere and a bunch of people echoed the same experience and a rep from HH posted on there that is was also expected behavior.

Glad to know!
consequential is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes it is normal for it to go through several screens while updating. Occasionally one will hangup and stop in the middle of an update.This is usually a card issue. DX radios are kind of finicky about which cards they like. I found that an SD HC Class6 card has never failed me with any of my radios. The one I use is actually out of an old phone and is an SD HC Class6 2gig micro in an adapter.With the more standard Class 2 cards of any size some seem to work and some dont.
Always let it run through the screens until it completes the update.It should be kind of obvious if it hangs.
Also as a general rule you never want to go back with updates. This can cause other issues.

Im not sure what you mean about Ch7.Could you explain in a little more detail?
Is it functioning on the Monitor screen?
What are you using Ch7(aux2) for? The Gov?

If the channel is not functioning its more likely something that got programmed.
Can you Export the model to the SD card and then attach the SPM file here?
Ill look at it and see what I can figure out.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

had a similar problem with mine. The Sd card that came with the 9 would not read in my computer nor on the tx, it would see it but would not export to it. Tried a PNY 8G mini with adapter, formatted and worked fine. update process was the same as described above. Is there anyway to tell if the audio file was uploaded correctly though? My idle alarm interupted the update and im not sure if went through?
Persistence and disposable income required
stevolution is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you think you interrupted the sound file you can run it again. The current VOX in the version data should be 1547317A
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by consequential View Post
Hi all,

I have problem like You, when I use the 128 MB SD Card include of DX9, I update FW, Sound. After that I turn on my DX9 and Main Screen is blink continuously. So I change the 128 SD Card by 4G SD Card KINGMAX and DX9 update everything very good. I hope it helpful for you.

Thanks.

Hien Thach.
bibi1148 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2015, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I didn't believe it, but same for me. Got a good SD card from my old camera, and everything worked fine.
xxyz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2015, 05:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default sd card

Same thing here I think all the sd cards are bad, I used one out of a camera also no issues. Love the DX9
AMA#939908
IRCHA#4219
LCRCC Member
cabojay is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015, 10:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I export all my models to sd card it don't show the names of the models on the sd card. When I select import from sd card all i see is.

/.
/..
/..

In the import list. So I candidate tell wich model it is. But if I put sd card in my laptop and look in the sd card I see .

Trex 600n
Blade mcpx bl
3d twist

So what's going on here. Is this how its supposed to work.? It kind of sucks if I can't tell wich model I'm importing from sd card to tx.

Also can someone please tell me how to formatt the sd card using the transmitter or is it even posible .?

Thanks.
krazycarl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

To import individual models one at a time, first select "Import Model" as the "Option". If you choose "Import Models" (plural), then it will import ALL model files in a folder and you won't get any choices. So for one model, you need to select the folder first at the "Folder:" prompt (even if they're not in a folder, but they're in the root at "/"), and then you'll be able to choose model a file from within that folder.

You can format the SD card with a computer if you really need to. Use FAT as the filesystem, not NTFS. Unlike most cameras, the transmitter doesn't require certain folders to exist in order for it to work, so it's happy with an empty card. Usually the format function on cameras just erases all files and lays out a default folder structure. You can delete all of the files on the card using your computer if you like.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2015, 09:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr View Post
To import individual models one at a time, first select "Import Model" as the "Option". If you choose "Import Models" (plural), then it will import ALL model files in a folder and you won't get any choices. So for one model, you need to select the folder first at the "Folder:" prompt (even if they're not in a folder, but they're in the root at "/"), and then you'll be able to choose model a file from within that folder.

You can format the SD card with a computer if you really need to. Use FAT as the filesystem, not NTFS. Unlike most cameras, the transmitter doesn't require certain folders to exist in order for it to work, so it's happy with an empty card. Usually the format function on cameras just erases all files and lays out a default folder structure. You can delete all of the files on the card using your computer if you like.
Thank you .
I kept selecting import or export all models . If I select model I can see my individual models.
As far as the original post to this thread . I've only had my dx9 black for a week but I was able to update the airware to 1.07 and the sound files without issue.
What boggles my mind is spektrum will sell a 600 dollar transmitter and provide such cheap ass sd card. Just doesn't make logical sense . Like selling you a porshe and installing a $19.99 radio from autozone.
krazycarl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2015, 08:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am sure this is an old thread but I am having this issue with my DX9 only it will not complete the update even after 15 mins or so. I tried a samsung 64gb micro sd card with a mini adapter and it is not working, intact it doesn't even show any progress when i tried it with that card. The only thing i can think of at this point is the battery is running low, I have it plugged in the charger and we will see what happens.

any ideas or help would greatly be appreciated
GrantBakerIII is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Of course, don't attempt to use the card that comes with the transmitter. They're horrible slow and often don't work at all.

Does the upgrade even start with your Samsung card? If not, the firmware file must be named SPMTX.SAX and it must be in the root folder on the SD card. Also, you must register your transmitter and get an update file specifically for your serial number. You can't use someone else's file.

I remember reading that Class 10 cards are sometimes too fast for these transmitters, so class 4 or class 6 yield the best results. 64 GB is obviously total overkill, but it should still handle a card that big. I think 128 GB is the limit on the Gen 2 transmitters.

The voice/sound file update process (the .SVX file) is manual and is totally different. Only the firmware update process is automatic when you turn on the transmitter and it discovers the SPMTX.SAX file on the SD card.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

thank you for a quick reply. the update does not even start with the samsung card. it just sits there with an empty progress bar. I did register the radio with spektrum. the only thing i can even think of at this point is that the battery might be low.. i had it trying to update for almost 15 mins at a time and the backlight can drain a lot of battery but without the radio being able to start up i don't know.

also i did not change or edit the name or the extension of the file. i downloaded it on to my computer put it on the card and then tried to put it on the radio
Old 10-22-2015, 09:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Uh oh... now your transmitter won't start up at all, even without an SD card loaded? If that's the case, then you're probably going to end up calling HH support. (Call, don't e-mail, for faster service.)
Old 10-23-2015, 06:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

well I'm not sure what happened.... i was trying to update to 1.07 and it was giving me trouble so i updated to 1.08 and it went fine the first try... I'm just happy i don't have to ship my radio off.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

my dx9 arrived yesterday. i turned it on once and the screen worked. i then charged it up and inserted the sd card that comes with the tx. turned on the dx and the screen is blank. the manuel says the "on" indicator light should be orange....it flashes on then goes off and the screen stay on blank.

now i'm searching threads and forums for an answer and discover there plenty to read about having to register with horizon?? do i have to update the dx9 right away ,didn't it come ready to use out of the box??

any thoughts will be very helpful as this weekend i was going to program a quad with gps....now i am fretting the dreaded blank screen issue. thanks ,stu
stuart beggs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2016, 07:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Take out the SD card and try again.

Bad SD cards can prevent the transmitter from starting up properly.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

i removed the card and its working now. can i go ahead and program a tarot fc on a 650 sport quad thats been waiting for the dx9 to arrive? do i need to leave a sd card in the tx when flying?

thanks for answering so quickly,this weekend is dedicated to programing the dx9 and i feared i was going to be boxing it up to horizon instead.
stuart beggs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in