Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FYI Tail Motor Life Span

Since there's so much negativity around here regarding the stock tail motor life expectancy I thought I'd post some data to see how I compare with others.

In the space of the 5 months I've been flying a Blade I've gone through 4 tail motors and have recorded the number of flights since day one. A "flight" for me is a minimum of 10 minutes in duration and a maximum of 15. I'll call it 12 minutes for my purpose here.

I don't wait for the motors to smoke themselves, but act at the first hint of power loss or increased whine. The first motor lasted 18 flights, the second lasted 32, the third lasted 36, and the most recent, 34. Tally everything up, do the math, and that's 24 hours divided by 4 motors = 6 hours per motor on average!

I break in all motors, except for the first one which might account for the lower time, and keep them lubed. Also, being a newbie I've been keeping the gain fairly low so I learn to fly the tail.

I'm not arguing against the merits of going to a DD or dual setup for the obvious performance reasons. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But from a purely life span point of view, I don't feel the stock tail setup is bad at all. And I look at the replacement interval for the motor as a good point to tear everything down for inspection, cleaning, and lubing.

Can any of you guys quantify your experience on this?
Phoebe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You seem to be getting decent motor life. Better than I ever got. Granted a lot of mine died grizzly premature deaths due to dumb thumbs and gravity, but I lost motors after 2-3 non-abusive flights.
WickedDragon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Doug,

That's my point! It seems like way too long life to me too, based on what I read here, but those are real numbers. I'm wondering if it's because I keep the gain so low? A typical flight for me is a combination of hovering and SFF. I'm carrying Super Skids with me, but no other overweight bling. Stock motors with a 1320 TP.

I'm doing something right?

Your input is always informative and appreciated.

Phoebe
Phoebe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 10:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Say whatever you want about the old CP's. All probably true. But the DD motor on the CP Pro2 IS different. Though I'm currently having HH problems with about 20 hours on the model, the motor doesn't seem to be the problem. Granted, I'm having to use bogus tail rotor blades to even get it to work, but the motor has taken a licking and is still ticking (lost the tail mount 4 times due to rough rear-landing and also numerous tail rotor blades). I haven't diagnosed the HH problem, it is too new (see other post).
Whoami is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in