Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Users

chosen69, Great job!

How fit the black umbrella in the torque tube? loose or tight?

Please check my thread

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=481744

Thanks in advance
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #102 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was going to do that and chuck it in a lathe, but alas, no old torque tubes, so I just had to gut it up and do it by hand. Not saying I SHOULDN'T have had an old torque tube end, he, he, but I just discarded them at the burial service.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
rcflyerheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #103 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by msallua View Post
chosen69, Great job!

How fit the black umbrella in the torque tube? loose or tight?
They fit pretty snug. Not as tight as the white ones in your first vid though. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Goblin 700

chosen69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

keep the fit very snug or the gear can pop out or move in the bearing
Old 12-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #105 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen69 View Post
Installing the upgraded gears in the bearing was a pain.
I came up with a little tool - I just cut an old 600 torque tube that I had and put it in the drill. Made it much easier to sand down the gears to the point where I could almost get them in there. Put them in the freezer for an hour and viola, in they went.

Seems to me like a HELLUVA lot of trouble to go through to "fix" a "fix" for a manufacturing defect that you had to pay additional money for.

Align seems to have really screwed this one big time.
bshinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't know if anyone has already pointed this out, but for those who are having trouble fitting the new black umbrella gear into the bearing, Precision Heli Tools makes a Torque Tube Gears Bearing Press. I bought one a year ago and it works on all size helis, 450 to 700.
here is link, just FYI, I don't work for them, just something I found to be useful.

http://shop.precisionhelitools.com/T...-Press-107.htm
skyrotor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #107 (permalink)
Registered Users

I promise you that unless you get the new thicker bolt on end, the original end will bend/flex enough to cock the bearing, and it will end up being notchy. You have to sand enough off the umbrella gear so that it will almost slide through the inner race of the bearing.

I have been in contact with Bob, and found out that he has a heavier gauge end piece that is strong enough to take the force. I have it ordered, but haven't had a chance to actually try it. If you don't have the new end piece, you can clamp the top edge of the end piece on each side and use it without messing up the bearing. That was what I had to do after I destroyed the first bearing.

BTW, I am just an end user, and not affiliated with the mini-press.

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
Old 12-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #108 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyerheli View Post
I promise you that unless you get the new thicker bolt on end, the original end will bend/flex enough to cock the bearing, and it will end up being notchy. You have to sand enough off the umbrella gear so that it will almost slide through the inner race of the bearing.

I have been in contact with Bob, and found out that he has a heavier gauge end piece that is strong enough to take the force. I have it ordered, but haven't had a chance to actually try it. If you don't have the new end piece, you can clamp the top edge of the end piece on each side and use it without messing up the bearing. That was what I had to do after I destroyed the first bearing.

BTW, I am just an end user, and not affiliated with the mini-press.
I ended up bending the mini press as I had the older version. So, I used heat/cold + brute force and got the bearing on. I ordered and received the newer thicker end piece for the mini press, but haven't had a chance to use. Bob was going to replace the bent end piece for free, but I had already ordered the upgraded parts - can't beat that for service!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #109 (permalink)
Registered Users

He did the same for me, and I've had mine for over a year. Too bad Align can't follow his example on these tail "upgrades"

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
Old 12-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #110 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default That may be true

Quote:
He did the same for me, and I've had mine for over a year. Too bad Align can't follow his example on these tail "upgrades"
Hi rcflyerheli,
I do tend to agree with you on that point, but true also, Align came to the table with replacement parts in very short order. That's not something that anyone disagrees with, correct? Looking forward, just think, In a few short months ahead, these TT issues with be a thing of the past. Something that was very newly redesigned with a couple very minor faults, but that has already generally been addressed and corrected, with the updated, re-redesigned parts. Albeit "snug fitting". . & Sure to be included with future kit productions.

What more, can we ask?
Just list them off in the order of preferences... Smile

Chas
Parrot AR Drone 2.0 Traxxas QR-1 RealFlight Drone 6.5
ChasCS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #111 (permalink)
Registered Users

If anyone else is encountering the same problem as I had with the new tail shaft having side to side play, I found a fix for it. It is the Kyosho 96046 6x8mm shim set. It comes packaged with several of each thickness (.1, .2, and .3mm thick) shims. My tail needed a .1mm thick shim to eliminate any play and get the gear mesh perfectly smooth. As I recall, it's somewhere around $5.00.

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
Old 01-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #112 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
If anyone else is encountering the same problem as I had with the new tail shaft having side to side play, I found a fix for it. It is the Kyosho 96046 6x8mm shim set. It comes packaged with several of each thickness (.1, .2, and .3mm thick) shims. My tail needed a .1mm thick shim to eliminate any play and get the gear mesh perfectly smooth. As I recall, it's somewhere around $5.00.
Not me, zero side play.

However loose torque rod creates too much play on umbrella gears. I'm going to try and tighten up with material carefully placed on end.

Got to fly today with all new black gears and hub and the sound is completely gone. Zero vibes at 2150, BUT horrible at 1850. Going to swap out a tail boom/bearings to see if that resolves it.

Happy thou!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 01-02-2013, 02:35 AM   #113 (permalink)
Registered Users

What's the issue with getting the umbrella gear in? I just used my vice (with some soft balsa on each side to avoid marking the gear or casing). I didn't even have to rechamfer it, the small existing chamfer was enough.

I don't think it's a surprise (or an issue) that one needs a vice to assemble a heli (this kind of assembly is pretty common on some older models, and very common in mechanics in general).

Or is it that I was lucky and that some can't shove it in even with a vice... whatever, that mini press sure looks flimsy, no doubt I prefer the vice.
HarveyR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #114 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's not about being physically able to get the bearing on the umbrella gear. It's about being able to get it on without damaging the bearing. Before I got the stronger end piece for the mini press, I went the route of using my vice, and the interference fit was so tight, once I got the bearing in place, it was so notchy that it couldn't be used.

That is all I am referring to.

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
Old 01-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #115 (permalink)
Registered Users

The best tool for this job is made right here in the US of A, in Cassville NY.

Here is the sight: http://www.precisionhelitools.com/

My grandpa always said: "Son, in order to do the job right, you have to have the right tools!" I took that to heart. This is the right tool for this job, hands down.

Team GrandRC
ualdrivr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #116 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, that's what I use, especially now that he has come out with the heavier endpiece for the 700 sized bearings.

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
Old 01-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #117 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdrivr View Post
The best tool for this job is made right here in the US of A, in Cassville NY.

Here is the sight: http://www.precisionhelitools.com/

My grandpa always said: "Son, in order to do the job right, you have to have the right tools!" I took that to heart. This is the right tool for this job, hands down.

+ 1
Seaview Rotary Wings, Brooklyn New York
61Espo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #118 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just finished doing the routine to fit the new tail on my new 700 DFC. This is now the 4th one I've done, and 3 out of the 4 have had side to side play. This one was the greatest, as it took a .2mm shim to remove the play.

I am happy to say though, it is now really smooth. Funny, but this is the first one that I've disassembled that didn't have the TT bearing come out of the tail case with the white umbrella gear. The mini press works great for putting the bearing on the umbrella gear, but can't insert the gear into the tail case if the bearing is inside the case. My 16lb sledge and shop vice did the trick (just kidding) I got the new gear sanded down and was able to press it in with just a mild force.

For now, all is well.

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
Old 01-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #119 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got both my TT bevel gears in by sanding down the gears to 12.05mm and using this tool, which is only $8.90:

http://www.rc711.com/shop/700-drive-...er-p-5380.html

I queried my supply about these gears being to big, and the reply to them from Align was to sand them down. No offer to replace them.

My 6mm tail shaft also needs a shim, but thanks to rcflyerheli I have some of the shims he pointed out on the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bevel_Gear_Tool.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	382206  
KDS 550 VBar, 550E DHPS VBar, 550E DFC Pro VBar, 700E DFC HV iKon
beenflying is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in