Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories

KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Low inductance w/ Kontronik ESC's SOLVED

First off... Kudos to Aeolus1 as he is the mastermind who didn't give up and figured this out! Thanks bro... You solved a problem that has had many of us pretty torqued!

So I get a PM that says "Kde motor "low induction" FIXED" in the subject line. Of course this peaks my curiosity so I respond asking what the fix is. Then I get a picture of a ferrite ring. I responded that I already use them, and the wind instantly gets sucked out of my sail.

We start texting and he says that he put one on a motor lead and **BAM** it works every time now. He asked if I'd try it and I said, sure... But it's midnight right now.

Right after I typed those words though, I knew I couldn't resist and had to give it a shot since this has had me frustrated for months now.

I hooked up one of my 6S packs and all was normal. I hooked up my 7S pack which has never successfully armed because of the low inductance error... Same as usual.

I then installed the ring on the middle lead of my HeliJive, up close to the ESC and sure enough, it armed without hesitation. I couldn't believe it.

I hooked up a 6S pack again to try to trip it up, then back to 7S... It works every time!

Now I just need to change the pulley to gear it for 7S and go see how I like it compared to 6S.

Happy camper right here!!! Strange fix but I'll take it!

Thanks again Aeolus. Strong work!!

Below are a few pics of how I installed mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Update - I did this with a partially charged pack initially and it was fine. Once I put a fully charged 7S pack back on it did the same old error code.

I took it apart again and this time I did an actual loop with the motor lead through the ring, and it seems to work now. If I put any Velcro on the ESC leads to bundle them a little closer, it throws the error. Leaving them loose seems to do the truck. It is still intermittent, but it seems good for about 8 out of 10 attempts. If I get the error, I just recycle it once or twice and it seems fine after that.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you flight it yet? I have the same problem with Jive 100 LV. Please let us know if is working 100%.
Stamatis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry Josh but I can't leave that one alone.

" You should have kept the Mezon"

Anyway I know how a problem like that can be soooo frustrating, good you found a work around.

The way it reacts when you bundle the wires together would suggest that the shielding of the wires is not thick (or shielding) enough and that they interact with each other. Just guessing but the have you tried keeping them apart further or using some kind of extra shield between them?
I am not an electrical engineer so feel free to tell me II am out in left field.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

No idea... Works well with some motors, not so well with others. No change in shielding on the ESC wires between them.

The Mezon was good for me at higher PWM range, but low end was terrible. Jives never let me down in the regard. And my tail doesn't suffer either.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

All in good fun.

I know of the limitation of the Mezon in low range but having not venture that way it has not bothered me yet.

I will probably go the Kontronik way one of these days.

Looking forward to more fun and power with my KDE motor this summer. Thanks again for showing me the way
Old 06-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

What type of ESC to motor connectors are you using?

From the pics, it looks like they're like an EC3 or 5?....I couldn't tell exactly...

I use "bullet" connectors...and use an extra sleeve of heatshrink, slid on before engaging the bullets....and then slid over the bullets and shrunk...to add a dielectric layer at that junction.

Could there be some dielectric arcover at that point?

Also, try this, before changing connectors....get some dielectric grease from AutoZone....the stuff you use one your headlight connectors on your car when replacing a headlight.

Apply liberally to the contacts with your connector's contact housing.

Also, while at AutoZone, pick up some Liquid Electical Tape(LET).....

Coat the ESC/Motor connector junction with LET...so as to add extra dielectric layering....

Just some thoughts....
EEngineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputt maru View Post
Sorry Josh but I can't leave that one alone.

" You should have kept the Mezon"

Anyway I know how a problem like that can be soooo frustrating, good you found a work around.

The way it reacts when you bundle the wires together would suggest that the shielding of the wires is not thick (or shielding) enough and that they interact with each other. Just guessing but the have you tried keeping them apart further or using some kind of extra shield between them?
I am not an electrical engineer so feel free to tell me II am out in left field.
Keeping the motor wires spread worked for me.
seefest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2014, 01:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Wow!!!!!!

I have been beating my head against the wall over trying to get my jive 100Lv to work with the scorpion 4020-1350. I have tried a jive 120, sent my 100lv back to Germany for an inspection(no issues), tried 2 different motors of the same model and as of recently, I was warming the motor with a heat gun, trying to get it to work. The heat gun was kind of working but, I stumbled upon this post and tried it and the motor boots up every time. Thank you very much for posting this info!!!!!
HeliAficionado is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ouch

Well this post would sure have saved me a lot of money a while ago. Unfortunately, I pulled my brand new Scorpion 4020-1350 and installed the Pyro motor instead.

I too was getting fed-up with the heat gun prior to each flight.

Maybe I can reinstall it again?

Goblin 380 KSE Xnova 3215-930, NEO, DS-3001HV, DS5005HV, Koby 90
Scottyb410 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in