Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters

Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters Minicopter Joker/Diabolo Helicopters Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

All I use is vbar and it's all I have ever used so I'm pretty confident with it, I have only had the one bad sensor and no other problems. I completely trust the vbar. I have it setup with a Bluetooth module so no chords to make changes either.

Some guys may also cringe at the fact that I am testing a set of Turnigy 7s 4400's to see how they fair in the S. They balance out nicely and and have low IR, and are getting better with each charge.. They are kind of a tight fit though, if they do well, I may try a set of 4k's to see how they do. On that note.. I wish Gens Ace would get some 4400's in. I also have been trying a set of TP 3850's.. They are a really nice fit, and light.

I found my spool up problems to be without the fuse on, and I think it had to do with my grass being too soft, either way, no problems whatsoever now.
Diabolo S #41
TDR 2
The others come and go..
craigdieselmac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #42 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Default S-DIabolo Maintenance

If you are using the silverline sensor, make sure you mount it with the thin 3M tape and not the foamy ones supplied with the blueline sensors.
I've seen pics of silverline sensor hard glued to the chassis by the vbar designer.
Apparently the silverline sensor works best if it becomes part of the chassis.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:55 AM   #43 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Got round to installing a NACA duct today - only have a small 4mm hole inlet - very pleased by the 20°C drop in post run motor temperature

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8030085 (Copy).JPG
Views:	627
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	526324   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8030086 (Copy).JPG
Views:	477
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	526325  
Old 08-03-2014, 05:42 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow 4mm hole shows how much airflow can make a difference. It really is a must if pushing any machine, obviously if its more enclosed the worse the problem is
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 05:51 AM   #45 (permalink)
HF Support

Actually putting in the exit vent made the big difference, I have always thought the exit of hot air as important as the input of cold, hence the NACA back to front acting as a exhaust Venturi - I am sure the rotor cut out inputs air in FFF and there is no where for the hot air to go. Motor temp was 100C after FFF with just the 4mm input hole and dropped to 80C after putting in the single exhaust NACA
Old 09-07-2014, 06:06 AM   #46 (permalink)
HF Support

Been going nuts trying to dial out porpoising which I put down to a newly tail heavy heli. The penny dropped the other day out at the FF with Kasmenu. The battery tray wasn't stopping and obviously when the canopy was put on was being shoved aft. Ripping the fuze off showed the block had rotated and letting the tray slide through

Used the opportunity also to tidy up the wiring around the HC ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 09-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #47 (permalink)
HF Support

Took a few hours, Avant terminals and strategically placed glass braid, but pleased how the ESC to motor wiring tidy up came out - Have to tidy up that butchered Kosmik next !

\\
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9090114 (Copy).JPG
Views:	366
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	535063   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9090116 (Copy).JPG
Views:	703
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	535064  
Old 09-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks awesome!
Diabolo S #41
TDR 2
The others come and go..
Old 10-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well today my wife and sister decided to join me at the field to witness the DS. It was one great flight with quite a tail wind and the GPS clocked 308km/h.....however, we could not fly at the rugby grounds so flew at one of the local clubs but no grass there

I took off on a synthetic grass surface but it's raised and quite small...almost hit the tail blades on the landing pad...I got lucky.

Upon landing I always land and hit throttle hold at zero pitch...well this time I landed on the tar and quess what.....the ds started her chicken dance and flipped over...all cyclic servos (bls 451) stripped gears...and links broke....

Probably going to have to change all the shafts as well....plus my new speedx blades also trashed .... It was a sad day fir me but that's the hobby I guess.....note to self...never fly the DS from the tarmac
wblombard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dude!! That sucks! My DS started out doing chicken dances.. Had a bad vbar sensor.. I almost cried.
Diabolo S #41
TDR 2
The others come and go..
Old 10-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #51 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblombard View Post
Well today my wife and sister decided to join me at the field to witness the DS. It was one great flight with quite a tail wind and the GPS clocked 308km/h.....however, we could not fly at the rugby grounds so flew at one of the local clubs but no grass there

I took off on a synthetic grass surface but it's raised and quite small...almost hit the tail blades on the landing pad...I got lucky.

Upon landing I always land and hit throttle hold at zero pitch...well this time I landed on the tar and quess what.....the ds started her chicken dance and flipped over...all cyclic servos (bls 451) stripped gears...and links broke....

Probably going to have to change all the shafts as well....plus my new speedx blades also trashed .... It was a sad day fir me but that's the hobby I guess.....note to self...never fly the DS from the tarmac
Really Sorry to hear that William. Good heads up for the rest of us. Any thoughts as to why? Fuse ok?
Raptorapture is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear
Congrats with 300+
Diabolo S #6
Diabolo
TDR
N7
crash at 42 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #53 (permalink)
HF Support

Damn! What a PIA esp loss of those X-blades! Anyway up and at them! Could have been worse, boom strike easy in those circumstances! I've repaired lateral,cyclic servo gear strips in situ but that pesky elevator servo has to come out
Old 10-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear about this, William! Hopefully the damage is minor and relatively easy to fix.

Being new to the DS family as the new owner of (the as of yet un-re-maidened) #40, I'm curious as to what causes this and whether it's a particular characteristic of the DS.

I fly off of grass at my home field, but when I competed in this year's ircha speed cup, we were flying off of tarmac. It would be horrible for this to happen at all let alone at a competition.

Anything I should be looking for during build and setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Justin Pucci is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2014, 10:09 PM   #55 (permalink)
HF MR Support

John and I have taken off from Tarmac without any adverse effect.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:42 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys...it was really very very sad. I honestly dont know what actually caused that...it could have been the blades...one being tighter than the other...I dont know.

However I had 3 flights last weekend with the blades and I have not removed them again since...so the tightness should have been the same...

I took off from a synthetic grass like diy build which is mounted on a timber chip board 20mm thick...I honestly have not had any resonance with the diabolo before...this was the first time.

I only took off from the synthetic grass because the torque of the DS would scratch the skids and I did not want that....

My sister took a video of the whole flight until I landed...but she stopped because she thought it was all over...I was walking towards the DS to actually pick her up when I stopped and saw the resonance. I came in very very soft with the nose pointing into the wind...there was a 18 knot wind yesterday...which was pretty rough.

Honestly, I dont know what it was...I just hope it does not happen again...its by far the worse feeling I have had...I could do nothing...just watched it shake it self to death.

I dont think it was the Tarmac...I have seen videos where Miles took of and landed on the Tarmac....in hind sight (which is always the best sight) I think the blades might not have been tight enough... that is the only explanation....I did everything by the book...landed, set pitch to zero degrees and hit throttle hold...It can only be the blades....I think one was tighter than the other and with the tarmac it just highlighted that point further

All my cyclic servos have been stripped...Now I have one question regarding the re-build....

The 451 servos is what's recommended by Gerd...maybe Gerd can advise...are these servos good enough for the speeds I'm hitting...I really push this machine to its limits...I dont hold back...or do I replace the servos with BLS 156 HV...yes these servos are better I know but cost more...plus I have spare 451's in the cupboard which will reduce the rebuild cost...

Gerd...can you advise on your thoughts?

I have never been a guy that take short cuts but dont believe the 451's classify them selves as short cut...
Old 10-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sometimes heavy blades and if not tight enough if you add neg sharply once landed it can fold the blades.

My rule is grass, and mini auto from 1m each time. Landing under power is not something i like to do at all
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2014, 01:14 AM   #58 (permalink)
HF Support

Agree with HC, grass always good if you can. Probably slightly loose blades which cause a bit of lag on spool down the commonest cause. Couple this with springy undercart and a firm head with little damping and it's easy to start a ground oscillation. A soft takeoff and landing surface is a good extra insurance as it gives a bit of extra damping ...

As far as servos, I think the 451 s are in the edge of the envelope for your level of FFF, I'd be looking at replacing with higher torque servos ...

The 1st gears are cheap here,, x4 the price at some other shops ..
Old 10-12-2014, 01:28 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys...I use to land with mini autos but with the banshee I always reduce head speed to below 1200rpm and then land...from there I have followed the same for every heli.

Thanks for the link John...but these servos will go in the trash...these are the master minds behind the whole heli and tampering replacing gears is a no go for me...I will get the BLS 156 HV servos to do the job!! Expensive little crash now.

Lesson learn t...do fly the DS or banshee when there is no grass...never again!! pretty pissed off about my blades to be honest.

My order with Mini copter is not that much...it a tad more because i'm going to replace all the shafts even though I think the mains will be fine but with this heli and the RPM i run..I rather just replace it for extra insurance...
Old 10-12-2014, 05:08 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

The brown double wheel is a predetermined breaking part to save the other wheels in the gear from overload. It is made from PPS, a high strength, high temperature plastic. If you have a sudden shock load then usually one or two teeth on the smaller gear wheel of this part are breaking. This is an advantage for those that are crashing often during 3D.

I have never heard that any of these wheels broke during flight. But nobody can/will give you a guarantee for that. On a ground resonance and the often following ground contact of the blades extreme forces are coming on the servos. If you feel not more save then use other servo types. This is a psychological problem you have now and that you can only solve in this way.
Gerd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in