Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Best move from Quad to Heli

Hi everyone. I fly a Blade 180QX quadcopter and I'm getting pretty comfortable and proficient with it. I have always wanted to fly Helicopters and so this has been my stepping stone (I have also flown coaxial helis and have progressed past them). My question is once I am fully capable with the Quad, which would be the best Heli to start with? Should I go with a fixed pitch like the 200SRX or go right to a Collective Pitch heli like a 130X or 300CFX? I'd appreciate any thoughts, advice or recommendations. I use a Spektrum DX6 radio (the new one) so I will be looking for BNF heli's. Thanks everyone for any help you could give!
DiggyStyle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Best move from Quad to Heli

If you're proficient with co-ax and quads, you might as well go straight to a CP. FP helis might be too small of a step up for you and get boring quickly, CP helis are much more capable and have more discovery potential I think.
200QX - Bone Stock
Naito is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 go straight to CP, get either a NanoCpx or a Mcpx bl and a bigger one preferably a 450X and go nuts, get the feel for it with the smaller one for a few flights then spool up the big one and enjoy.
terryv83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would try the 200 SR X.

I fly lots of quads but I can only fly the SR X on the first mode where it self levels. When I switch it into intermediate (no self level) it becomes a whole new hell. And allot harder to fly.
Wicked!! is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's what the 200 SRX is intended for. Another alternative is the Nano CPX with rates lowered to 50-60% and Expo around 20-30. You can work your way up to higher rates and lower Expo without stress. The benefit there is that over grass the Nano CPX is pretty durable. Very capable and cheap too. If you go that route give yourself LOTS of room on your first flights.
ToddMcF2002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryv83 View Post
+1 go straight to CP, get either a NanoCpx or a Mcpx bl and a bigger one preferably a 450X and go nuts, get the feel for it with the smaller one for a few flights then spool up the big one and enjoy.
You make a good point here...and someone else added about going with the Nano CPX and lowering the rates/expo...also great advice! I do possibly see myself getting bored with a fixed pitch heli rather quickly and wanting to get into 3D as soon as I become comfy with it. I kind of like the idea of getting the tiny one and then possibly moving up to a 450X soon after. That might be a good solution. What are the major differences between the Nano CPx and the mCPX...other than about a hundred dollars? Any special considerations for buying one over the other? Also if I was to get a 450X would there be any limitations with flying it using a 6 channel radio (DX6)?

Last edited by DiggyStyle; 07-05-2014 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: revision
Old 07-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The mcpx is bigger heavier and brushless, it's great in the wind and is more stable. The nano cpx is small very light and great for indoors or outside in little to no wind, it barely ever breaks anything in a crash however the brushed motors are hit and miss at times and you never know how long they'll last. The nano is also way more twitchy due to its size. I own both but I prefer the Mcpx bl over the nano, it's just personal preference though because the nano I can fly 3d while sitting in front of my tv no matter the weather, but I find the Mcpx bl flys way better. In the end it's up to you, but like I said get either and a larger heli, I think the Bl might just be better in your situation, unless you have fairly large rooms or very calm weather where you are. Plus you'll definitely fly it even after you go larger the nano will just become the other heli that warms the shelf, Kinda like mine does now I've got a few larger birds. The majority of helis other than scale and gassers are 6 channel, so there should be no issues running with a dx6. The RTF 450x package comes with a Dx6i as standard.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The mcpx is bigger heavier and brushless, it's great in the wind and is more stable. The nano cpx is small very light and great for indoors or outside in little to no wind, it barely ever breaks anything in a crash however the brushed motors are hit and miss at times and you never know how long they'll last. The nano is also way more twitchy due to its size. I own both but I prefer the Mcpx bl over the nano, it's just personal preference though because the nano I can fly 3d while sitting in front of my tv no matter the weather, but I find the Mcpx bl flys way better. In the end it's up to you, but like I said get either and a larger heli, I think the Bl might just be better in your situation, unless you have fairly large rooms or very calm weather where you are. Plus you'll definitely fly it even after you go larger the nano will just become the other heli that warms the shelf, Kinda like mine does now I've got a few larger birds. The majority of helis other than scale and gassers are 6 channel, so there should be no issues running with a dx6. The RTF 450x package comes with a Dx6i as standard.
Thank you Terry! That is great info. I think the Mcpx bl is the way I will go! Learning to do Funnels and Inverted flight is definitely on my "To Do" list sooner than later! I appreciate the advice!
Old 07-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wouldn't recommend the mcpx bl for beginners. It's got way too much power, is really twitchy and I still haven't had a 450x crash cost more than my worst mcpx BL crash. Boards are extremely fragile. They tend to overheat and they tend to die easily. Unless you have a huge 'great room', it's really not an indoor heli like the ncpx is. And for 3d, it's considered a really sloppy heli... I like the nickname Angry Hornet to describe the BL.

I'd suggest learning how to fly agility mode on the nqx (it's more difficult than the ncpx, but you don't have to worry about crash costs) and then go to the 450x. Either that or go for the 200 SRX. Sure, crashes costs, but it's got SAFE mode.

With prices as they are now, it's hard not to recommend a 450x. The 450x will teach you respect that you might not have with the small toys. They fly more stable and can be dialed down really tame. Of course, you need to have the room to fly it.

The 130x is NOT a good first CP heli. They fly great when they're flying great but they're also the most difficult to maintain and troubleshoot.

The only thing bad about the 450x compared to the micros is that you'll need to learn how to setup and fine tune the flybarless system.... but if you plan on flying larger helis, you'll need to learn how all that works anyway.

Oh, and beware, the ncpx, mcpx bl and 130x can be vicious little money pits. When you get to the 450x, spare parts are actually cheaper. I'd rather crash my 450x than either of my mcpx bl.
xenophobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post
I wouldn't recommend the mcpx bl for beginners. It's got way too much power, is really twitchy and I still haven't had a 450x crash cost more than my worst mcpx BL crash. Boards are extremely fragile. They tend to overheat and they tend to die easily. Unless you have a huge 'great room', it's really not an indoor heli like the ncpx is. And for 3d, it's considered a really sloppy heli... I like the nickname Angry Hornet to describe the BL.

I'd suggest learning how to fly agility mode on the nqx (it's more difficult than the ncpx, but you don't have to worry about crash costs) and then go to the 450x. Either that or go for the 200 SRX. Sure, crashes costs, but it's got SAFE mode.

With prices as they are now, it's hard not to recommend a 450x. The 450x will teach you respect that you might not have with the small toys. They fly more stable and can be dialed down really tame. Of course, you need to have the room to fly it.

The 130x is NOT a good first CP heli. They fly great when they're flying great but they're also the most difficult to maintain and troubleshoot.

The only thing bad about the 450x compared to the micros is that you'll need to learn how to setup and fine tune the flybarless system.... but if you plan on flying larger helis, you'll need to learn how all that works anyway.

Oh, and beware, the ncpx, mcpx bl and 130x can be vicious little money pits. When you get to the 450x, spare parts are actually cheaper. I'd rather crash my 450x than either of my mcpx bl.
I agree with most of this. You'll destroy an MCPX BL before you even know what hit you, assuming it doesn't hit you. Same for a 130x. These are powerful brushless micros and require some tangible collective pitch experience. I hated the NQX myself and while the controls are transferable the visuals certainly are not and its wind performance is horrible. Its certainly an option though, although I'd go Nano CPX. It wasn't a money pit for me. The 130x however is a serious money pit. No argument there!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my experience the mcpx bl tamed down way better for a beginner, the nano no matter what you do the smaller size makes it not only harder to see but way less stable. The mcpx is more floaty on lower head speeds as well. But I do agree once it gets away if you don't hit throttle hold it can end up in pieces. The picture is of my mcpx yesterday after I got the go lower bug with my flips, needless to say I couldn't get any lower the picture of it all together is 5 minutes after the crash, nothing broken and I continued my low flips. This was over fairly soft well mowed grass, it's a very resilient bird.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140705_114937.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	520102   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140705_123003.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	520105  
Old 07-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

How the heck did you get the main shaft to pop out? Impressive! As far as the BL vs the Nano I guess its down to preference. I can do everything in the Nano as smoothly as the BL (except punch outs of course!) and relax while doing it. The BL is a freakin screamer at a flat 90 throttle curve. A noob is going to have a serious pucker factor going on the first time he spools it up. Mine are pretty good and pretty stable with the Lynx stretch kits, but compared my 130x's they are still a bit unrefined.

At any rate I don't think the OP is going to encounter limitations in any of these heli's any time soon.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh it was a spectacular thing to witness, it looked like someone threw a hand full of confetti in the air if you look closely at the first pic you can see the bearing from the swash plate that popped out up near the rotor head. If only my Mobius cam had arrived already, there would have been video as well. I love this heli almost as much as my Goblin.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
I agree with most of this. You'll destroy an MCPX BL before you even know what hit you, assuming it doesn't hit you. Same for a 130x. These are powerful brushless micros and require some tangible collective pitch experience. I hated the NQX myself and while the controls are transferable the visuals certainly are not and its wind performance is horrible. Its certainly an option though, although I'd go Nano CPX. It wasn't a money pit for me. The 130x however is a serious money pit. No argument there!
I loved the nqx... It's quick and flies great outdoors if there is little to no wind. I think it's great for orientation training because you have to really pay attention and I think that translates well.

Even tamed down the BL likes to bob and weave... It's not very precise. It is a bit precarious. They do tend to explode very dramatically upon contact with stuff. They can get away from you really quickly.

The nano on the other hand, has a more beginner friendly power to weight ratio and is much more precise.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Considering the OP already has a 180qx and wants a heli the Nqx even though even I think it's a great little machine, is pretty much irrelevant in the conversation. It's funny because I feel my Mcpx Bl is way more precise than my Ncpx, the motor is getting old though and fairly neglected. I remember not to long ago the smallest heli you could get was a 450 which a lot of us learnd to fly on. You know what the one question none of us have asked is if DiggyStyle is flying the 180 in agility mode yet? Because if so and not crashing a lot, there's ultimate no reason why they can't just jump straight into a 450X. Now don't flame me for it, but I've got a mate who went from a Nano qx to hovering a blade 400, and don't get me started on how bad they are to keep in one spot. I truly believe that the Diggy will be fine with the Mcpx bl.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I assume the 180qx in agility mode flies a lot like the mqx. If so, the nano in agility mode is much more difficult to fly. The mqx is really easy to fly...
Old 07-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Considering the OP already has a 180qx and wants a heli the Nqx even though even I think it's a great little machine, is pretty much irrelevant in the conversation. It's funny because I feel my Mcpx Bl is way more precise than my Ncpx, the motor is getting old though and fairly neglected. I remember not to long ago the smallest heli you could get was a 450 which a lot of us learnd to fly on. You know what the one question none of us have asked is if DiggyStyle is flying the 180 in agility mode yet? Because if so and not crashing a lot, there's ultimate no reason why they can't just jump straight into a 450X. Now don't flame me for it, but I've got a mate who went from a Nano qx to hovering a blade 400, and don't get me started on how bad they are to keep in one spot. I truly believe that the Diggy will be fine with the Mcpx bl.
Very good point Terry! I have gotten the 180QX into agility mode and not crashed, although I consider myself lucky as I'm just in the beginning stages of getting out of the high angle stablility mode (I can fly it pretty comfortable in that mode with no crashes, indoor or outdoor, so it's time to step up the game a bit!) I have been reading all the comments carefully and I think I will continue flying the 180QX for now until I am very comfy and proficient in agility mode and then I will re-assess. At the moment, I am leaning toward the idea of moving up to the 450X when that time comes. I may skip the micro heli's altogether for the first one. I certainly would not mind having a much larger, more easily visable bird to fly anyway but I really feel like I will be ready to save the money and skip the fixed pitch heli and move up to the "real" thing with collective pitch after I master the 180QX in all modes. I highly appreciate all the great feedback from everyone! I will be carefully considering it all! Good discussion guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in