Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 300 CFX or 450x?

I've been flying a Blade Nano CPx and a hand full of 130's (including the underpowered Red Bull 130). Love them but the short flight time and seemingly questionable power to learn 3D are making me want something with more power. A bit larger and more visible would be nice as well. My Raptor 30 V2 is fun, but I'm a bit nervous about crashing it since it has been discontinued and parts are a becoming scarce at my LHS.

I'm comfortable with fast forward flight, forward flips, and working on inverted hover. I want to learn Tick Tocks and continue progressing.

Any recommendations between the Blade 300 CFX and the 450x? I'm open to other options as well if anyone has another recommendation. Working my way from Blade CX, mCPx, mSRx, nano CPx got me here. The E-Flight / Blade brand has been good to me and I would prefer to stick with them, but I'm not against looking into another brand.

Key factors to me are (in Order):
  • Availability of parts
  • Cost to repair
  • Ability to grow into it it's abilities
  • Size

Thanks for your help!

Dean
deanwesterburg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you want something to grow into the Gaui X3 is a awesome heli, built like a tank and can be run on 3 or 6 cell lipos. You will need to build it yourself though. Both of the blade heli's you are asking about have the same issues with electronics but the 450x is definitely the better deal at the moment, at Amain hobbies you can get it for $350. It's all really how much you want to spend and how big is too big, because I think the Align 450L dominator is a good heli too.
terryv83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think if you are between two choices, I would go for the 450x. I really like my 300 CFX, but the 450x is going to fly more easily and not cost much more to crash. Parts availability for both is extremely good. They also include an AR7200BX which is useful even after you grow out of a 300/450 size machine as it can be used on 700 size machines and beyond.

That said, the 300 CFX upgrades are sexy.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
gtr
Registered Users

Never flown the 300 CFX. But the 450x flies much better than the 300x. More power, more stable, faster and in my opinion easier to fly for someone whom already know how to fly.

This may not be a good comparison but you can say 300x is like the red bull and the 130x is like the 450x. The red bull is underpowered and not necessary more stable and more difficult to fly because you need to be on the throttle so it doesn't drop.
gtr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 12:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

450x. Almost nobody ever says "damn I wish I got the smaller heli".
xenophobe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 12:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post
450x. Almost nobody ever says "damn I wish I got the smaller heli".
This. Both need the same amount of room to feel comfortable. And if you have to travel somewhere to fly, you may as well fly the bigger - more stable, easier to see.
numbermonkey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll put a vote in for any of the 360mm 6s 450's. Skip the 450x for now, either wait till they revamp it or move to a different brand. I hear there's a small goblin just around the corner, might be worth waiting for
MotorG525 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 11:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorG525 View Post
Skip the 450x for now, either wait till they revamp it or move to a different brand.
http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...rodID=BLH4380A

The new 450x comes with metal gear servos and slant gear and pinion... and the msrp dropped $50... Not everything everyone asked for, but definitely a good start.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post
Almost nobody ever says "damn I wish I got the smaller heli".
They do after they crash!
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tough question to answer, but here's my take on it. The 450x is a little larger, and a little more stable. The 300CFX uses cheaper smaller batteries. Either are great flying helis, but if you're a new(er) 3d pilot, I'd go for the 300CFX because of the less expensive batteries.

By sticking with the Blade brand, you'll have great parts support in more hobby shops than any other brand.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
gtr
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian James View Post
By sticking with the Blade brand, you'll have great parts support in more hobby shops than any other brand.
Are you guys going to add the new DX6 and DX9 setups to your heli lines? +1 on Blade stuff. If it wasn't for all the RTF BNF and better radio instruction compared to other vendors I'd probably be out of the hobby since free time is so limited now a days.

True those batteries are inexpensive on the CFX. If you have the space usually the larger the better. I personally like smaller helicopter since I can fly those in my backyard and I don't feel 250 size and above is unsafe when people is around.
gtr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2014, 07:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I decided on the 450. The size sold me. Yea, the batteries cost a little more, but the parts are about the same. My eyes are getting worse, so bigger is better.

The 450 3D is on sale pretty cheap right now ($349 WITH a DX6i) , but I might wait for the new 450 (BLH4380A) that comes out in October, 2014

I actually like the flybar better then flybarless, but I'm concerned about how long I can get parts for a 450 3D.

Does anyone know if Blade has a statement or policy about how long they guarantee parts after they discontinue a hell?
Old 06-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 300 CFX or 450x?

I don't think any manufacturer has a formal commitment to parts availability after discontinuing. It probably has more to do with how much stock remains in the warehouse and how deep the retail channel is than a policy to meet an arbitrary date. Again, I'm speaking generally, not specifically about horizon.

Historically I think Horizon is one of the better brands as far as that goes though, especially since they often carry parts forward with model refreshes. I think I'd just get a 450x now - prices are reduced due to the incoming changes.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Horizon has always been great about parts availability. Most of the time parts scarcity comes at the beginning of a model's life not at the end, due I suppose to the fact that most of the parts initially go into building complete birds.

I recently bough a 450 3D at the sale price even knowing it was discontinued. I also have the ability to buy the FBL head assembly and gradually build it into a flybarless machine. I think if you get the 450x now, whatever enhancements there are with the newer version coming out will likely be compatible and you could likely upgrade later. That way you get to fly NOW!

Jim
Old 07-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

So, it looks like on blades web site there's a blade 450x coming out in OCT for 399.00.. I can't tell what the difference is between the 450x now?? Anyone know?? I was thinking about getting the 300 cfx but maybe I should wait for the 450.
F>T>R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by F>T>R View Post
So, it looks like on blades web site there's a blade 450x coming out in OCT for 399.00.. I can't tell what the difference is between the 450x now?? Anyone know?? I was thinking about getting the 300 cfx but maybe I should wait for the 450.
It comes with metal gear servos and helical main gear and pinion. And a new canopy. Otherwise it's the same. Is it worth waiting 4 months for? That's your call. You might as well wait for a 450x Pro or CFX model to come out, which has not been announced yet.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 300cfx 0r 450x

Which Bird would be better if i mostly fly in a 2 acre back yard?? Any advice?
F>T>R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Either would be good, personally I'd go the 450 as it's easier to see at a distance, and has more power. Oh and it's cheaper at the moment.
terryv83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I ended up finding a deal on a 450 3D and I love it! My only disappointment is that it was not really "ready to fly", more like "ready to fix". Blade tracking was way out of whack and center stick was no where near 0 pitch. More like +4 at center and felt very bogged down on my first flight.

No funny tip over tendency like the fly bar less heli's I have flown. You can spool it up nice and slow like a real helicopter. Flies very true and much like a smaller version of my Raptor.

The only thing I don't like is its a little slow to respond for my taste. Guess I'm progressing faster toward 3D then I thought I would! I have not tried the advanced settings yet, but that is my next tweak. I'll remove the fly bar weights next. Have not looped or rolled it yet due to this.

I'm sure I will buy a 450x or 500 in the next 9 months. You can never have to many heli's! Right?
Old 07-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 300 CFX or 450x?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwesterburg View Post
You can never have to many heli's! Right?

As long as you aren't married!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in