Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 07:09 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was putting the 10th tank to the 56. Power is good and I thought I load the engine with tic toc, landed the heli and check the backplate temp. It was only warm, barely warm. I was thinking if I could lean a bit more.

My hovering needle was 1 3/4 out, high speed needle was 1/2 turn out. Idling was stock from factory.

My previous YS50ST was running hotter than this. I am on +10 -10 pitch, 7 on cyclic.

Is YS supposed to run hotter than an OS?

http://nitro-magic.blogspot.com
TmMugen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2010, 07:13 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As to those having some carb issues, I also had to pull out my carb barrel and take a file, and some very fine sandpaper, and smooth out the edges of the slot in the barrel that the pin contacts. There weren't any burr's on mine, but it did have what looked like about a .001" machining step left in the slot, so I simply filed it down to match the rest of the slot, and I also polished the end of the bolt that contacts the surface. It took some trial and error to get it perfect, but in the end the carb now works perfectly with no sticking issues whatsoever.

Flyboy: can you elaborate more?

Old 01-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi..

Can I ask how to calculate things like 18,500-19k rpm on the motor..??

If I am flying a raptor titan se and using a YS-56 with a 566. What kind of RPM (in thousands) should I run on a ATG gov setting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaL View Post
I think the OS55 bearing scare is just a select few. I've had no issues with mine after about 50-60 flights. it's WAY smoother than any 50Hyper I or any of my friends have had.

The YS56 WILL use a spektrum backplate sensor fine. PM flyboy 1 and ask him. He's on team outrage, so you can probably find one of his posts in that section. I do know he uses one though, and I don't think he had to grind anything to get it to fit

One thing I'll say is. Keep the OS55 at about 18k rpm and you SHOULD be ok with the bearing. One of the guys with bearing issues had his going about 18,500-19k rpm on the motor. Also, power wise the YS is probably somewhat better on top end, and moderately better with midrange/recovery from what I've heard/seen. That said, my Velocity 50 with 620 blades flies awesome with the OS55 and Align pipe which I'm sure is choking some power from the motor. The YS56 WILL NEED a 56 type pipe. The Hatori 566, Outrage 56 pipe etc... The OS seems to do well, not optimal but well with the older 50 pipes like the Align 50, Outrage 50, Hatori 50 etc... the MP's don't work well at all from what I've read.

Tuning wise-the OS I think wins hands down in it's ease of tune. Not that the YS is super hard, but it's just different, and unless you are pretty good at tuning, I could see people having issues they blame on the motor, do solely to the tune.

I think most people would be happy with either motor if they setup the combo correctly and are aware of the tuning characteristics of the motors.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:29 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is based on the gear ratio.

If your heli has say an 8.5 to 1 pinion to main grea ratio, the engine is turning 8.5 times as fast as the rotor.

So 8500 engine RPM is 1000 RPM rotor speed. 17,000 engine RPM is 2000 RPM rotor speed.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2010, 10:16 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

The carb sticking issue I had was caused by binding of the carb barrel on the special retainer bolt where it rides in the carb barrel. It has a machined slot, and the pin rides in it, and when the engine was running, vibration caused the machine step to bind on the pin, so I had to file it down to get the engine to run properly, otherwise the barrel would stock at low throttle positions in the air. My engine was a pre production model however so I doubt that the engines people are getting now will have any issues.

To get this motor to make optimum power I'd reccomend running it around 17,600 rpm or so. Much more or less, and it doesn't respond as well to a load in the air and loses the consistency it has at that rpm.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly boy 1 View Post
The carb sticking issue I had was caused by binding of the carb barrel on the special retainer bolt where it rides in the carb barrel. It has a machined slot, and the pin rides in it, and when the engine was running, vibration caused the machine step to bind on the pin, so I had to file it down to get the engine to run properly, otherwise the barrel would stock at low throttle positions in the air. My engine was a pre production model however so I doubt that the engines people are getting now will have any issues.

To get this motor to make optimum power I'd reccomend running it around 17,600 rpm or so. Much more or less, and it doesn't respond as well to a load in the air and loses the consistency it has at that rpm.

I got one a couple weeks ago and got to wait for spring to fly it, i hope mine doesn't have this problem. It seems like every new motor that comes out has carb issues.

I think I've seen 'ya out in rockford before, do you drive a lincoln?
RJ79 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What extent do you guys mean by a sticky carb?

Mine wasn't sticking at any one point, but it isn't as free as it could be. It turns pretty easily just with a little bit of resistance throughout the entire range. I figured a full size servo would have no problem with that, considering I can easily move it with one pinky.