Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > Futaba 14MZ - 12Z

Futaba 14MZ - 12Z Futaba 14MZ and 12Z Help and features Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default T18MZ or JETI DS 16

Which radio eqippment to go for?

What are the disadvantages / advanteges each.
RogerRabit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Maybe you want to read this thread and check the links in it.
Actually might give you some information.

Besides talking about a big price difference there are some differences in features as well.

I am sure both are great radios. I personally prefer the DS 16 due to ability swapping around the switches,accelerometers (so you can request information by just moving the radio), voice messages for telemetry and other information and .... price.

But again - both seem to be great radios and I would suggest you read up some of the specs and decide what might fit better your needs.
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Do you have experience with one of them?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Actually as you may have noticed the DS16 is going to released this month and Sorry but the T18MZ is out of my price range since it does not have that many additional features for me to justify the spending.

I did hold the DC16 and DS16 a few times at multiple fun fly events last year. It feels great and playing a bit with the programming options looked pretty good.

Based on the options available and the way they felt I pre ordered the unit. I think in Germany the DC16 is out for some time and proven to work well. The DS16 should get out for sale in Europe this month too.

Voice announcements and music plays loud enough to hear it well plus you can plug in a headset if needed. Checked the videos for some setup and additional features plus ... pre order price made the decision easy to me.
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

To me, it seems like the DS-16 is a far better radio. Telemetry that measures battery current instead of voltage is a killer feature, imho.
Jotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My thoughts are that the DS-16 has a LOT more meat to it, which is why I pre-ordered one.

By meat, I mean things like:

Hall effect 9 bearing gimbals that should never wear out for all practical purposes.
Solid metal case
Switches that can be physically moved anywhere you want
Amazing flexibility in configuration
3 internal antennas that can not snap off like the Futuba's.
The display is up on top making it easier to see
Wireless buddy box ability
Since you really don't want to look at your TX while flying it has the ability to talk to you with telemetry and when any event happens, or switch is pressed.

I would call the Jeti's very high content in terms of hardware and software.

Jeti also has a lot more experience dealing with telemetry data, so there are a lot more ways to get telemetry with it, and their telemetry sensors have been in production for a while.

While a touch color screen and built in camera to take pictures of your models are cute features, I don't see any compelling features in the 18MZ. It is Futaba's flagship and there is some appeal there, and if you have a lot of helis that already have Futaba receivers it may be easier. However to get telemetry, you will still end up needing to replace all of your receivers.

The Jeti DC-16 appears to be well sorted and the DS-16 is based on the same hardware and software.

Right now I would have a very hard time justifying paying twice as much for an 18MZ which seems a lot more limited in abilities that I can make use of.

In the end I voted with my wallet.

I'll be happy to give you feedback from actual experience after I get mine, have it configured, and have used it for a little while. At the moment I am very hopeful, but can only speculate based on what I've read and from the accounts of a few people who have touched the Jeti. The only feedback I've heard on the18MZ is that it is complicated to configure, but that could very well just be an initial reaction.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I looked at the 18mz not in reviews but reality today for some hours and did go for it.
Just unboxing.
What got me was the overall feeling and the s-bus easiness.
And the very big adjustable letters on the screen i can stillread without glasses.

When i have programmed the first few models i know more.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRabit View Post
I looked at the 18mz not in reviews but reality today for some hours and did go for it.
Just unboxing.
What got me was the overall feeling and the s-bus easiness.
And the very big adjustable letters on the screen i can stillread without glasses.

When i have programmed the first few models i know more.
When you are ready to buy and can touch and feel something, but would have to wait a little longer for another product, that can be a deciding factor too.

While I'm sure this doesn't matter at this point, the Jeti's also have a large font option.

Enjoy your 18MZ!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, same for your jeti when delivery is at you.
Futaba germany is only one hour from here.
That was one of the decision points also.
It was not a rational more a gut decision at the place and moment.

I like the jetis design also (at least before their last change).
Would have ordered one if they would not habe done the design change probably blind.

Stepping through the manual of the t18 at the moment.
Very easy to program as far as i see.

I like the small picture on the display where the switches for the functions change at their real position when you assign them.
Also the small wheel for the adjustments in conjunction with the touchscreen is genius.
Nearly as easy as on Devo 8 s with the touchscreen,
A lot of analog givers and gimbals on the radio that you can use from above and bottom side.

They must have spoken to some people really flying while desining that thing.

Or might be they have some designers flying themselves.

Small things i like on the first reading is like allways the small details .

The RX has a voltage area so that it can be used from 4 NIx to 2s lipo without stepdown converter.
Same with the HC3SX
So with some HV servos you do not need any voltage regulators longer in the heli.

The system even runs in 1s without changes.

So this gives you a lot of safety margins.

That is what i like on futaba.

Remember the spectrum sats who need 5.5 or so as minimum?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in