Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gasser Helicopters > TRM Power

TRM Power TRM Power - Toxic Al Factory Support Forum Worldwide. Any Product.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dano wind that Quickdraw/Toxic up to 2150 head speed (14,800 engine rpms) and report back. That was Doug's suggestion and mine is cranking.
fastflyer20 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

fastflyer20 what is your flex pipe length on your quickdraw pipe.. Just wondering if I needed to change mine to run motor rpm that high.. I was told that the 4 inch length was to long if you went over 2000 head speed.....
Old 01-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am using 3 5/8. Doug tried it down to 3 1/4 but that was too short. He is using 3 1/2. I ordered a few couplers, 3 5/8, 3 3/4 and 4". I tried 4" at lower head speeds and it was ok. Everything seems to come alive with the 3 5/8 and 2150 to 2200 head speed. I still want to do some more testing at longer lengths and lower head speeds.

MA is releasing a 17 tooth pinion which = a 7.29 gear ratio. At 15,000 rpm's the head speed will be 2057, this may work out even better with the pipe.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I need to get me a 3.5/8 coupler then. I was told by Al, that is what I needed to run if I went to 2100 head speed.. I am happy with the way it runs now but I think I will try to up the head speed and see how I like that.. I will also get the 17 tooth pinion and give that a try.. Thanks for the info..
Old 02-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fast flyer and/or Doug,
I am new to gas powered helis. I just bought a whiplash g, trm vx270tt and a QuickDraw pipe in the last week. Please explain the changes you made to the pipe length. Why, how and where u got the parts. Any help you can provide is very much appreciated.

As it relates to this thread, I am very excited to get my vx270tt. Al was very helpful during our on conversation earlier this week. He went out of his way to let me know he is there to help me out in the future. Great guy.
Chris
invalid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another Quickdraw Whip, fantastic.

Break it in on a regular muffler for 3 gallons first.

You can install a longer flex coupler to get the QD tuned in, but a 31/2 to 3 5/8 should be the hot ticket for max power.

QD or Don can supply different length couplers.

Needles are fairly sensitive, you will end up around 1 to 1 1/8 on the low and 1 3/16 to 1 1/4 on the high. It does not like being too rich, very different from a standard muffler.

Gov has to be set to around 14,800 or higher to get it "up on the pipe", then hang on! It makes a little more power once it pumps heat into the pipe, you will notice a power gain after 2-3 minutes of running.

I warm it up in normal, throttling up slowly to mid stick (30 seconds or so), hit idle 1 at 14,200. and fly for a minute or 2 then hit idle 2 and let it rock.

The plug comes out whiter than I am use to, but Doug confirmed it is how his looks too.

When running well, you should not have any leaks at the flex intersections but you will see the header and flex are getting hot and burning all residual fuel off.

It should burble on low throttle and completely clean out once on the gov.

Do not use any sealer on the flex coupler

Permatex Ultra Black works great to seal any muffler or pipe to the cylinder, Doug has tried it and he likes it too. Best sealer I have found and it cleans up easily with Scotchbrite.

Last edited by fastflyer20; 02-24-2013 at 07:40 AM..
Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I used to use one of DDM super gsskets between the pipe header and motor but I started using the Ultra Black with no gasket and it works fine and most importantly allows the pipe to heat faster to get to its full potential.

Yesterday the weather was cold (40) and I fattened the needles to be sure it had enough fuel... it ran like $hit.... it just has to be leaner to run good. I got it back close but the weather sucked so we just called it.

Toms info is spot on....
Hollar if you need help..

TRM Power - RC Racing Engines - - Blackout Mods Conversions - - VP Racing / Powermaster Fuels - - Gas-Powered-Helicopters.com
Doug Darby is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Even on the RJX, Century V2 and the Century V4...I've tried them all, my 270 likes to run at those lean settings as well. It is definitley sensitve and just the slightest move too rich and you can hear it start cycling...which is a good thing for me since it really helps me get those needles perfect.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys. The information is great! I will be coming to you guys with a lot of questions once everything arrives and I start the build. I am really looking forward to diving in to gassers!!!
Chris
invalid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too have joined the ranks of gassers. I bought my Whiplask Gasser in December and maiden it March 3rd. So far I have 25 flights on it. I've changed to full synthetic oil, trying out coleman's fuel with fuel fragerance mixed in.

With Al's heli, verifying I'm on the right path with my TRM 270 motor...it is making a gob of power! I just need some nicer weather so I can get out more.

I have a Trex 700N with a blown O.S. 91...I'm thinking of getting the Helibug conversion and installing another TRM 270 in it! That would give me 2 gassers, 2 nitros, & 2 electrics. However, I think the electrics and nitros would sit all summer!

Citizen 654
rcnut is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in