Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Any joy at all with the 14t pinion?

Hey guys, I'm doing an ultra light weight 3s stretch low headspeed setup and was thinking about trying a 14 tooth pinion. Anyone have any success at all with the 14t despite it's horrible reputation for cracking?
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Any joy at all with the 14t pinion?

No issues here, but a do fly at only 2500 rpm just sports flying.
This is the stock not stretched.
pgleesonuk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 03:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

There may be another way. 3S with 4S motor? Or just let the esc handle it?

spykez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 04:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by spykez View Post
There may be another way. 3S with 4S motor? Or just let the esc handle it?
That´s what I ran for half a year (15T pinion, after the stories of broken 14T I never tried it.). Can´t give HS numbers, but @100% throttle it had around the same performance as on 60% throttle with the 3S motor. As I like to gun it from time to time I switched to 3S motor and let the YGE handle it.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for that guys - gives me three options then as I have an unused 4s motor here and I've ordered a couple of 14t pinions with some other stuff. I think I'll just go with the lower throttle curve for now - I'm sure that'll be fine.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

there is no problem using the original 4s-motor at 14,8 v with 15, 16-teeth-pinions (thats exactly what I am doing now, rpm max: 3200, av 2600). it is for cruising and sporty flying, not for hard 3d (the 4s motor stands 28 ampere max and is made for 6s!!!),

a 14teeth gives you very low hs... so no need for a lower throttle curve. one nearly may use a 5s-lipo ... but - however - with high-risk for pinion-cracking (I used four of them, one about 30 hours flighttime, the others only 3 oder less... its unforseeable and does not depend on throttle, maybe on pitch-management and vibrations at the motorshaft ...)

macem
macem is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you have the stock esc (MSH/YGE) it should be fine at lower throttle %s.

I´m also interested in what you plan for for the rest of your light setup. My MiniP is quite heavy and I came up with just a short list for saving weight: switch to satellite (with BeastX) or go for AR7200, shorten cables, hollow main shaft, plastic case cyclics. Maybe there are non FG canopies which are lighter. Anything else? Ti main shaft?
Old 10-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My main area for weight savings is going from 6s to 3s saving 25 - 30 grams. One of my stock canopies is considerably lighter than any others I have. Get rid of anything unnecessary like the horizontal stabilizer on the tail boom, and the washers on the boom clamp bolts. It'll swing SAB red devil 350's which perform well at low headspeed. No really extreme weight saving measures, just a fairly light bird to float at lowish headspeeds . Rpms I'm running now on my 6s one are 2500 - 2600 , so I'll be shooting for slightly less, nothing ridiculous - I still want the tail to hold.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nifty View Post
My main area for weight savings is going from 6s to 3s saving 25 - 30 grams. One of my stock canopies is considerably lighter than any others I have. Get rid of anything unnecessary like the horizontal stabilizer on the tail boom, and the washers on the boom clamp bolts. It'll swing SAB red devil 350's which perform well at low headspeed. No really extreme weight saving measures, just a fairly light bird to float at lowish headspeeds . Rpms I'm running now on my 6s one are 2500 - 2600 , so I'll be shooting for slightly less, nothing ridiculous - I still want the tail to hold.
There is a company that makes a kit to make the mini-p ultra light. It's different frames, lg, boom, and other items. I can't seem to find the link anymore though.

Dylan was working on a 13 or 14t pinion. I just saw he is back on the boards. Dylan, are you still looking into those new style pinions? I've been wanting to do something other than lowering tc to slow down my mini but there aren't many options. I was thinking about giving the gaui x3 a try.
kpod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Found it. Sorry, it was the protos, not mini-p.

http://www.wurzer-heli.at/html/proto...m_english.html

You could do something similar with the mini though.
kpod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, my 3s stretch turned out ok - running 2400 rpm with 15t and 70% throttle on gov store set with 4v per cell with blades on. Pretty floaty bird and very quiet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in