Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Got my Savox 1290 MG tail servo, had a couple questions

1) I plan to run it backwards per finless videos, do I need to do anything different for setup, shoudl the servo wheel still be closet to the rear of the heli as if I were running it on the other side?

2) The servo has ridges on the top part of the servo mounting areas which prevents me from using the servo screw adapters which came with the protos kit, should I just skip the protos adapters and use washers?
photocycler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocycler View Post
The servo has ridges on the top part of the servo mounting areas which prevents me from using the servo screw adapters which came with the protos kit, should I just skip the protos adapters and use washers?
I used a dremel ground the shorter single holed adaptors so they would clear the ridge.

I have photos in post 18 in my build thread.
www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=369118&highlight=wbefield's&page= 2
Old 02-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Got my Savox 1290 MG tail servo, had a couple questions

1) I plan to run it backwards per finless videos, do I need to do anything different for setup, shoudl the servo wheel still be closet to the rear of the heli as if I were running it on the other side?

2) The servo has ridges on the top part of the servo mounting areas which prevents me from using the servo screw adapters which came with the protos kit, should I just skip the protos adapters and use washers?
1) Install the servo as a mirror image from what is shown in the manual.

2) I had the same problem with my cyclic servos so I used a dremel to cut off most of the ridges and a fine file to make it flush with the tab and servo case.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

XL Protos 380
Jomaba4308 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbefield View Post
I used a dremel ground the shorter single holed adaptors so they would clear the ridge.

I have photos in post 18 in my build thread.
www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=369118&highlight=wbefield's&page= 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomaba4308 View Post
1) Install the servo as a mirror image from what is shown in the manual.

2) I had the same problem with my cyclic servos so I used a dremel to cut off most of the ridges and a fine file to make it flush with the tab and servo case.

perfect, thx guys
Old 02-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Should I setup the ESC before setting up the BeastX?

I think I am going to govern at 2500 which should be a good docile setting, didn't get the YGE program card but may get it if it makes for an easier setup

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-01-2012, 02:11 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The servo has ridges on the top part of the servo mounting areas which prevents me from using the servo screw adapters which came with the protos kit, should I just skip the protos adapters and use washers?
It's not necessary to mod your tail servo. The servo adapters go on the under side of the tail servo. There is a recessed groove in the servo mounts to accommodate the ridge on top of the servo mounting tabs.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still waiting for my ball link sizer as some links are tight

Also waiting for pitch gauge but I may see how far in the beastX setup I can go

Got my servo arms at 90, I assume the next step is to level mixing arms? Anyone have the length for the links?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Still waiting for my ball link sizer as some links are tight

Also waiting for pitch gauge but I may see how far in the beastX setup I can go

Got my servo arms at 90, I assume the next step is to level mixing arms? Anyone have the length for the links?
On my set up, the 3 links from the servos to swash are 28mm ( thats the size of the exposed part of the rod, not the total length). On the swash to blade grips is 53mm (part of the rod thats exposed as well and not the total length). This put me right at 0* on the blades with all cyclic servos at 90*.

As far as the BX, you'll be able to do everything without a pitch gauge, except for step J as well as setting your roll pitch and collective pitch which is no biggie. Once you get your gauge, it's a snap to go back to those steps and setup quickly. Just make sure when you are setting your pitch with a digital gauge, that your swashplate is level with the horizon as the Protos 500 have a rake which makes the tail higher in a normal stance.

I placed a digital angle finder on my boom block (if you have the BX mounted there, then put right on top of the BX) and shimmed the front part of my skids till the gauge read "0". Then I proceeded to set my Roll and Collective pitch.
BlazinBones is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinBones View Post
On my set up, the 3 links from the servos to swash are 28mm ( thats the size of the exposed part of the rod, not the total length). On the swash to blade grips is 53mm (part of the rod thats exposed as well and not the total length). This put me right at 0* on the blades with all cyclic servos at 90*.

As far as the BX, you'll be able to do everything without a pitch gauge, except for step J as well as setting your roll pitch and collective pitch which is no biggie. Once you get your gauge, it's a snap to go back to those steps and setup quickly. Just make sure when you are setting your pitch with a digital gauge, that your swashplate is level with the horizon as the Protos 500 have a rake which makes the tail higher in a normal stance.

I placed a digital angle finder on my boom block (if you have the BX mounted there, then put right on top of the BX) and shimmed the front part of my skids till the gauge read "0". Then I proceeded to set my Roll and Collective pitch.
great thx, is there a trick to fasten the ESC with the supplied O-Ring? I fastened the ring to the frame mounts and the ESC is floating around and not being fastened
Old 03-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
great thx, is there a trick to fasten the ESC with the supplied O-Ring? I fastened the ring to the frame mounts and the ESC is floating around and not being fastened
I used velcro under the battery mounting plate and the flat side of the ESC and it stays put very well. I also use an Align strap for the battery instead of the rubber orings, so that also ads extra support for the esc as it runs right under it.
BlazinBones is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinBones View Post
I used velcro under the battery mounting plate and the flat side of the ESC and it stays put very well. I also use an Align strap for the battery instead of the rubber orings, so that also ads extra support for the esc as it runs right under it.
Perfect thx, unfortunately...seems my new DX7s scroll wheel died and now can't get into setup to switch to the model I need to setup the protos..err

Old 03-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

while I wait the return of my DX7s from HH service, I purchased a JR ball link sizing tool to size the ball links, seems its too big and doesnt fit.

Can anyone recommend a way to size the ball links without a tool, I see there is a tool msh sells for the mini which may work but dont see it in stock
Old 03-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's the same tool that comes with the 500. If you can find it, get it. Check Amain, ExperienceRC, ReadyHeli, HeliDirect, ElektroRC, or ask MSH-Direct (pm him).
Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexf1852 View Post
It's the same tool that comes with the 500. If you can find it, get it. Check Amain, ExperienceRC, ReadyHeli, HeliDirect, ElektroRC, or ask MSH-Direct (pm him).

so I should have one in my kit?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think the link sizer comes with the kits anymore, mine didn't. No reason to buy one. Make one out of your spare FB parts. Take an extra ball, thread it on to a cross ball, and then score the ball a couple times with a razor knife. It works like a charm, you will have a perfectly sized link.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Such a long build...sent my DX7s in for repair (brand new by the way)

So I am sitting waiting for my TX and still need to do the following

- set beastX up
- set YGE up

I have run thru a million time and checked everything else while I wait, anyone recommend anything else I can do while I wait?

Old 03-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Going thru beastX setup now, servo arms are close to 90...mixing arms not level...does this look right?
Old 03-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
so I should have one in my kit?
I received a ball link sizer in my kit which was purchased in January
Old 03-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Going thru beastX setup now, servo arms are close to 90...mixing arms not level...does this look right?
That is fine as long as they don't bind on anything, the only purpose those arms serve is to drive the inner swash ring.

XL Protos 380
Jomaba4308 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Photocycler, not important to be level but, usually are with stock parts. Make sure you have equal travel +/- after your servos are "Centered". You can then work backward if you need to, readjust links from servo to swash, then swash to blades. Ideally you want, Servos centered, blades "0" pitch, swash at center of travel. Swash locks not important. But 0 pitch centered travel is priority.
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in