Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Build

Hi all, this is my first thread start in the MP forum, as I do not yet have one ! Yet being operative word, as I have made up my mind to purchase and start building my first non Blade BNF heli starting Christmas & NY. Hoping to get some good deals in the "sales"

What is certain, is that I wil get the bare bones kit & reduced height FBL head and take it from there.

I am running 300X today @ 3500 HS governed, so not really sure what HS I will want / need. That said, I understand that 2 x 300X lipos will make a good 6S setup, so do I want the MSH Scorpion 6S, or 2221 1630KV and adapter or MSH long shaft ? I would rather buy motor with max flexibility now and use pinion size up / down to manage HS range. ( I do note that threads indicate that 14T is not good idea as they break apart ?)

For ESC, I will buy a CC Talon 35 for my 300X and move the CC Edge Lite 50 over to the MP and run it at 6V.

Mains, start with Align.

Servos: I see people are using everything from TGY right up MKS95/92 for cyclics, with Hitecs being frequently referenced middle ground choice. Whilst I'd be happy to put a 95i on the tail and forget about it, I can not stretch to MKS cyclics (unless there is a deal on 3 off 92A+'s to be had in sales), but am happy to get views. Does the MP warrant higher torque, speed or both ?

I am not going to open the debate on FBL controllers in this thread, as that would be too much ! Will start another one for that !
MrCrash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

1630 kv is to high for 6s mini. You wont be able to use a small enough pinion and the 14 tooth will break.If you want the best available power you want the scorpion 2520-1360kv motor and install the msh long shaft in it and run a 15 tooth pinion. 16 for insane head speed but 15 will give you 3200+ governed with the ice lite 50 with appropriate head room in the software and that is plenty of head speed stretched particularly!Thunderpower 1300 6s 65 or 70c is the only way to go IMO. Some 1500 to 1800 mah 6s fit but the 1800 are tight and must be layed on their side and the weight is more than noticeable!
Ps.If you go with the ds95i on tail and ds92A+ for cyclics the internal bec in the ice 50 lite will not cut the mustard. I use a gryphon Polaris becin the photo below. This pic was taken before I swapped the msh 6s motor out for the 2520-1360. The msh 6s motor is no slouch by the way but the scorp 2520 is a monster LOL!

And here it is with the scorpion 2520-1360kv running 15 tooth pinion

Last edited by scott s; 11-04-2013 at 07:07 PM..
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: New Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
1630 kv is to high for 6s mini. You wont be able to use a small enough pinion and the 14 tooth will break.If you want the best available power you want the scorpion 2520-1360kv motor and install the msh long shaft in it and run a 15 tooth pinion. 16 for insane head speed but 15 will give you 3200+ governed with the ice lite 50 with appropriate head room in the software and that is plenty of head speed stretched particularly!Thunderpower 1300 6s 65 or 70c is the only way to go IMO. Some 1500 to 1800 mah 6s fit but the 1800 are tight and must be layed on their side and the weight is more than noticeable!
Ps.If you go with the ds95i on tail and ds92A+ for cyclics the internal bec in the ice 50 lite will not cut the mustard. I use a gryphon Polaris becin the photo below. This pic was taken before I swapped the msh 6s motor out for the 2520-1360. The msh 6s motor is no slouch by the way but the scorp 2520 is a monster LOL!

Just curious what your flight times are on your current setup, 2520 15 tooth, TP 1300? And if your stretched..
Old 11-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just wondering why you are going "bare bones" and not the combo? Are you planning on any other upgrades other than the lower head? Some will say its not really an upgrade but It looks much better.

VCONTROL*NEO*TRIBUNUS*MKS*VTX*DPL8 W/BUMP CONTROL*MEANWELL
Corvette & Copter Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette & Copter Guy View Post
Just wondering why you are going "bare bones" and not the combo? Are you planning on any other upgrades other than the lower head? Some will say its not really an upgrade but It looks much better.
I now have CC esc and programming adapter, so considered that for the cost difference of bare bones v combo + programming adapter, I could sort myself out. In fact, based on UK prices, I could have Edge mains, MSH 6S motor and CC Edge Lite 50 in this heli (based on buying CC Talon 35 and fitting to 300X to free the Edge). is this a bad plan ?
Old 11-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't know the size of the CC ESC so not sure if it fits inside the frame where the YGE would go. If it does then cool. I would also hope that the 50amp (VS the 60amp) ESC will be enough. I like to be on the safe side when it comes to pulling amps. Of course where you live, prices, availability and such can decide things for you. Not sure how things are there for that. I'm only running 3s (and will NEVER change) as I use those same packs in a couple of planks and that saves money using one pack on several models. I also run Align mains as they are cheap. There are plenty of options with the Mini P and I think that's the reason so many people like them. Good luck with your build and we are all looking forward to some pics

Corvette & Copter Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is castle ice lite 50 up in the nose in my photos above. It fits like it was custom made for the mini with caps forward. You loop the motor leads down thru the area in front of the motor mount and out the front. ice lite and edge lite are same dimensions!
Old 11-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Scott
Just looked at dims on YGE and CC websites:-
YGE 60 is 65 x 25 x 8
Edge 50 Lite is 50 x 25 x 23
Ice 50 Lite 40 x 26 x 17

... so the trade off here is height !

CC Talon 35 is 49 x 22 x 8 ... so pretty small, but has a stronger BEC @ 5A cont.

Do you recall any of the log data when you had the MSH Scorp 6S motor installed ? If I look at Scorp web then 2520 is 30A max cont, so Talon35 would be OK ! Right ?

All,
Servos ! What is a good start point ?
Old 11-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrash View Post
Scott
Just looked at dims on YGE and CC websites:-
YGE 60 is 65 x 25 x 8
Edge 50 Lite is 50 x 25 x 23
Ice 50 Lite 40 x 26 x 17

... so the trade off here is height !

CC Talon 35 is 49 x 22 x 8 ... so pretty small, but has a stronger BEC @ 5A cont.

Do you recall any of the log data when you had the MSH Scorp 6S motor installed ? If I look at Scorp web then 2520 is 30A max cont, so Talon35 would be OK ! Right ?

All,
Something wrong with the castle site dimensions I am afraid.
The edge fully cased is listed as 21.4mm height so I do not see how the lite can be 23.2mm LOL it is probably 13.2. The tech drawing for the ice lite shows a height of 12.7mm and this is listed on other sites I have found

I imagine the talon 35 on 6s would be ok with the 2520 but I am a firm believer in head room. I would rather have the logging anyways and a gryphon Polaris bec is so small to find a location on the mini. If you want to use a governor in a fbl unit the edge is your best bet anyways because it has the extra line that can be used as rpm sensor I believe. It is all up to you.
I also think fbl internal governors are over exaggerated. Governors in good esc's have come a long way and the castle is up there with the best of them. Unless you are in the top 1% of heli pilots I doubt you will ever notice the proactive benefits of a fbl governor and some of them still don't work like they should LOL!
Old 11-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...edge-lite.html
http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...EdgeLite50.pdf
Old 11-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

see my post above this one you just made!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
All,
Lots of options out there. It really depends on what your willing to spend. With the holiday sales coming saving 10% helps. When I ordered my MKS servo's I ended up with a GREAT deal. Bought three and one was free. A sale and reward points made that happen.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

All, I have reflected on what I need from this hobby, rather than what I want from this hobby, and the various threads in other forums, and the proverbial penny has dropped.

... so I want a Lynx frame for my 300X, but don't need it as I have a frame stiffenner fitted, and I sure don't need or want the extra 30grams or so it is likely to add to what is already a heavy / high disk loaded bird !

What I have known all along, is that I need to use my money to simply buy a better heli from day 1, with good sepc parts that do not need $$$ upgrades ! I guess this realisation means I am perhaps so much of a noob afterall !

So, budget has now increased by the value of Lynx frame LOL, and over the festive period, I will get best deal on:

Mini Protos - Bare bones kit
Head - Low Profile FBL
Mains - Align as starter for 10
Motor - MSH Scorpion 6S
ESC - CC Edge or Talon 35 (swap with 300X)
Cyclics - 92A+ if I can get a deal
Tail - 95i

FBL - Best deal possible, but not AR7200BX

And that's the plan ! Will start a build thread in due course, as I will prob need the help and guidance form you all !
Old 11-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default New Build

Quote:
All, I have reflected on what I need from this hobby, rather than what I want from this hobby, and the various threads in other forums, and the proverbial penny has dropped.

... so I want a Lynx frame for my 300X, but don't need it as I have a frame stiffenner fitted, and I sure don't need or want the extra 30grams or so it is likely to add to what is already a heavy / high disk loaded bird !

What I have known all along, is that I need to use my money to simply buy a better heli from day 1, with good sepc parts that do not need $$$ upgrades ! I guess this realisation means I am perhaps so much of a noob afterall !

So, budget has now increased by the value of Lynx frame LOL, and over the festive period, I will get best deal on:

Mini Protos - Bare bones kit
Head - Low Profile FBL
Mains - Align as starter for 10
Motor - MSH Scorpion 6S
ESC - CC Edge or Talon 35 (swap with 300X)
Cyclics - 92A+ if I can get a deal
Tail - 95i

And that's the plan ! Will start a build thread in due course, as I will prob need the help and guidance form you all !

You forgot the BEC. For those servos and ESC combo. I recommend the Gryphon 10a BEC.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
So why not that unit? Are you running Futaba? Its the only unit I use on the 450 class stuff. I do like the Vbar better but then I need a sat or two. I hear good things about the Roburg (or whatever its called).

Old 11-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette & Copter Guy View Post
So why not that unit? Are you running Futaba? Its the only unit I use on the 450 class stuff. I do like the Vbar better but then I need a sat or two. I hear good things about the Roburg (or whatever its called).
My 300X is AR7200BX and I want to try something different.

I'd like something that feels more "connected" and am told that AR on MP does feel connected, so it may simply be down to the fact that I have 300X (130X and Nano). An option would be to not buy a new FBL in first instance and rip the AR off the 300X and try it, but 300X is a blast, and I do want to try something new.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in