Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > NextD - Rave 450 and 90

NextD - Rave 450 and 90 CJY Rave 450 and 90 Helicopter Kit - ND-YR-K001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Metal Tail Gear On My Ballistic

The tail gear was kind of sung but spin ok on my ballistic. I did a couple of flights and the tail gear got real hot and tight. I am using the DuPont Chain Saver on the gear.

After the 4 short flights/hovers, the tail is real smooth and spin freely now. Is this what suppose to happen?
dla2000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe the gears had to break in ?

On one of the build posts on RR the guy sanded the gears; Quote

"Metal torque tube gears. Mine ran too tight, so after trying different shim locations, I found that the gears on both ends of torque tube were sticking out about .008 to .010 in. too much for me. You can experiment with this fit by slightly moving the tail gear box on the boom to find the sweet pot. I (choose) to reduce the thickness of both torque tube gears .010 in, by lapping on 320 paper on glass, wet in a figure eight pattern...until I got the perfect clearance. Trying to get almost zero backlash, I ended up with a slight amount. Very smooth after a flight/greased slightly/Amsoil #2 Lithium grease.(currently using some Du Pont teflon Multi-Use dry wax lubricant-easy to apply every flight day, also put on main gear). I used one shim on tail side of tail rotor shaft. I choose to experiment with my method."
Old 02-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hope this helps. One of the other posts. Quote Marshall:

"Just make sure you have the two shims between the auto hub and the other gear. That is what places the lower tail drive gear down further to line up better with the transmission gear. Mine has just a tad of the white gear a bit off but plenty good. The shims have an inside diameter of 12mm.

Also those steel gears should run smooth but have hardly any back lash. This makes sure they don't ride on the tops of the teeth. Hope this helps."
Old 02-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

One of the other build threads Paul said quote;

"During the torque tube build things were a little tight on the gear mesh. Tore everything back down and did a very detailed inspection and didn't really find anything. There was a lot of forum talk about the plastic inserts in the tail boom. The plastic tail boom inserts looked like they were in all the way but when I placed the boom upright on a flat surface and applied a tiny amount of downward pressure a perceptible click was heard like they were now seated properly. The gear mesh came out perfect upon re-assembly."
Old 02-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe it just got colder outside? The number one issue I see is the plastic insert isn't all the way inserted into the boom. Also when tightening the 4 set screws on the gear tighten at 180 degrees lightly so all screws are snug.

Jeremy
Old 02-25-2014, 05:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Here are some videos of my ballistic with metal gear. What y'all think?

[ame]http://youtu.be/BmLaFfPsq90[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/S1KY1CLArlM[/ame]
dla2000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in