Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katstrike View Post
okay this is great work and Thank you so much! but its a little tech heavy and i need some clarification.

Assume that all variables are the same and 0 is stick center and servo center.

I need clarification on throttle throw and DR. NOT EXPO! so expo at 0 or INH

so if Throw for any given channel is set at 100%, and DR is set at 80%, then you get 80% movement of the servo

you can produce the same exact result by:

Throw @ 80%, and Dr at 100%, getting again 80% movement of the servo.

Is this true?

don't talk about expo. i get it. i just want a clear simple answer to this. not all the technical of whats doing what. Will this give you the same desired result? KISS
KISS. Yes it is true. 80% travel adjust (throw) + and - and 100% DR gives the same servo extent movement (channel output) as 100% travel adjust (throw) + and - and 80% DR. (So you you are exactly correct).

You can test this at 50% on any channel on the monitor screen.

(the rest is expansion and can be skipped if you want to keep it simple).

The advantage of DR over travel adjust is that DR can be altered in flight by switches.

The intent of travel adjust is to prevent you sending commands that will have your model try go beyond it's servo limits (bind, draw more current, damage servo motors). Where this gets tricky is Gyro controlled servos (heli tails and FBL units).

For Gyro controlled servos, the transmitter is not in direct control of the servo, the transmitter is in control of the turn rate. This means TA and DR are only useful in limiting the turn rate, not protecting the servo. The servo limits are programmed into the gyro or the FBL unit. Therefore, for a tail or FBL, there is no reason to adjust TA on any of your direct stick inputs (aileron, elevator, rudder) except to EXTEND the limits because you want FASTER maximum turn rates. The only reason reduce TA is on the pitch channel, and that is so the pitch curve can always be 0 for greatest negative pitch and 100 for greatest positive pitch (as in the setup for the mCPX).

(end expansion).

You asked me to ignore expo, but ironically, expo works exactly the whether 80% TA(+/-) / 100% DR, or 100% TA(+/-) / 80% DR.

Hope this helps.
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

After reading this...I started bleeding from my ears and nose! I think my brain hemorrhaging from to much information.
TrAuMaChAsER is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrAuMaChAsER View Post
After reading this...I started bleeding from my ears and nose! I think my brain hemorrhaging from to much information.
And this is an easy transmitter. Imagine a more complex one

Take just what you need. Re-read when you are looking for specific info on the DX6i. Chances are you will find what you need when you need it.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Newbies guide to the DX6i for RC helicopters

Next time I'll be ready with cotton swabs in my nose and ears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Next time I'll be ready with cotton swabs in my nose and ears.
This thread was very much an organised brain dump of all I knew on the DX6i. You get to watch my brain from the outside after it's filtered. Try living here

Also done a similar (less detailed) dump on the Taranis in the OpenTX Radios forum (thats and even more complex transmitter).

I love to tinker and help others. I try post the knowledge I wish was conveniently available when I started.

Best of luck.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:59 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

You post to many more threads like this your going to scare people away from the hobby. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-08-2014, 11:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
You post to many more threads like this your going to scare people away from the hobby. Lol.
That's OK. We're all mad here
Old 02-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
The mixes provide a piro-compensation type affect in a stable hover.

The way to test this is to get into a stable hover and push rudder momentarily full right (turn nose right) then adjust mix 1 first number and mix 2 first number till the heli does not travel when the rudder is momentarily pushed right.

Do the same again for pulling the rudder left and and adjusting the second numbers in the mixes.

Do over carpet in room with still air (no drafts, fans or air-con). Don't want to do damage while tuning this.

Normal for a FP heli to go forward and right with nose-right turn (and backward and left with nose-left turn)).

Thanks for this wealth of information! I was too scared to buy a DX6i until I found this guide. I've got a few questions/observations though:

I don't think you meant to put mixes into the recommended MSR settings. I think you accidentally copied them from the MSRX. The MSR doesn't need mixes to piro well, and the mixes you have will send it zipping off uncontrollably (On My Heli).

I'm messing around with my mixes (MSRX) and I think you have the direction of rotation the numbers affect swapped. The 1st numbers affect left turns, the second number's do right turns. Or is that something that will vary by heli based on whether the rudder input is inverse or not?

Why would you activate your mixes with the F switch instead of always having them activated?

What exactly do the mix #'s do? I've been messing around a bunch and it seems to me (MSRX) that in the mix controlling elevator the first number being positive will result in reverse elevator input during left rudder, negative yields forward elevator input during left turns. The second number being positive results in forward elevator input and negative will give reverse elevator after right rudder. With the mix controlling aileron the first number being positive gives left aileron during left rudder. If the first # were negative then right aileron will be mixed with left rudder. The second number yields left aileron with right rudder when negative and mixes right aileron with right rudder when positive.
Can anyone verify that I understand this correctly? I should have messed around with it some more but after a dozen batteries I was getting bored of playing with mixes instead of flying.
Slack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #29 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack View Post

Thanks for this wealth of information! I was too scared to buy a DX6i until I found this guide. I've got a few questions/observations though:

I don't think you meant to put mixes into the recommended MSR settings. I think you accidentally copied them from the MSRX. The MSR doesn't need mixes to piro well, and the mixes you have will send it zipping off uncontrollably (On My Heli).

I'm messing around with my mixes (MSRX) and I think you have the direction of rotation the numbers affect swapped. The 1st numbers affect left turns, the second number's do right turns. Or is that something that will vary by heli based on whether the rudder input is inverse or not?

Why would you activate your mixes with the F switch instead of always having them activated?

What exactly do the mix #'s do? I've been messing around a bunch and it seems to me (MSRX) that in the mix controlling elevator the first number being positive will result in reverse elevator input during left rudder, negative yields forward elevator input during left turns. The second number being positive results in forward elevator input and negative will give reverse elevator after right rudder. With the mix controlling aileron the first number being positive gives left aileron during left rudder. If the first # were negative then right aileron will be mixed with left rudder. The second number yields left aileron with right rudder when negative and mixes right aileron with right rudder when positive.
Can anyone verify that I understand this correctly? I should have messed around with it some more but after a dozen batteries I was getting bored of playing with mixes instead of flying.
Yes I did copy the mSR mixes from the mSRX.

In forward flight you do not want the mixes for piro-comp, they are primarily for hovering. Also if the mixes are incorrect, you can turn them off. Since FP helis (like the mSR and mSRX) use only one flight mode, the flight mode switch is spare and can be used for mix enable/disable.

Yes you have it correct: For left rudder, first number applies (elevator or aileron). For right rudder second number applies (elevator or aileron). The variation is proportional (or linear) to the distance the rudder is from center.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mr. Arch, sir,

I, for one, would like to buy you a very large beer.

Thank you for this.

-matt
wraith1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

WOW...that is a lot of work. Thank you very much for the info. I have a Blade 450. I noticed swash mix mentioned. My dx6i shows swash mix inhibited, and I cant change it. What's the deal on that?
jerryzito is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 11:35 PM   #32 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryzito View Post
WOW...that is a lot of work. Thank you very much for the info. I have a Blade 450. I noticed swash mix mentioned. My dx6i shows swash mix inhibited, and I cant change it. What's the deal on that?
Blade 450X is FLB and uses an AR7200BX (1Servo90 swash - no mix).
Blade 450 3D is flybarred and will require swash mix.

You can only use swash mix with CCPM120 setup.

The purpose is to enable the beginner to program the DX6i entry level transmitter, but also understand WHY you would use each of the features that are in the TX. (The manual only describes how to program the features, but NOT why anyone would want/need them).

I hope my work helps people. This hobby is hard enough without having to look all over the net to find information. If I can get people flying and enjoying it, that's good enough for me.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DX6i setup for flybarless system

This is a awesome and most simple way to understand how to use a DX6i. I'm trying to set up my 450 4 blades main rotor with a tarot zyx 3 axis and spectrum dx6i with no luck. Do you have any information that my help me with this?
Thanks
jcvega916 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2014, 10:59 PM   #34 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvega916 View Post
This is a awesome and most simple way to understand how to use a DX6i. I'm trying to set up my 450 4 blades main rotor with a tarot zyx 3 axis and spectrum dx6i with no luck. Do you have any information that my help me with this?
Thanks
2, 3, 4 blades are no different in RC terms. They are still controlled by a singles swash plate (just more grips, spindles and swash links).

Just ensure the swash plate tips in the anticipated direction. Remember Max pitch defelction on blade should be approximately 90 deg BEFORE swash max deflection (due to lift resonance acceleration - not precession as some people think). Your head geometry should take care of this.

Tarot zyx 3 axis FBL unit means swash type 1Servo90 (normal) - same as a 450X (with an AR7200BX). Channel 3 is for the sero in line with the direction of travel (channels go CCW - therefore if nose N, 1 - ENE, 2 - WNW, 3 - S or 1 - WSW, 2 -ESE, 3 -N - swash type in tarot zyx of 120 CCPM - 4 Flashes, Yellow, 2 Flashes). - From (http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/d...ZYX_111012.pdf)

The 450X settings are a great staring point.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:03 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvega916 View Post
Thanks
Hey man pm when you get it flying and tell me how you like it and how it flies. Make a vid for me if you can.

Sent from Hell via a nano cpx....
Old 03-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #36 (permalink)

Great work. This is amazing. For someone to take the time to help fellow pilots. It is a lot of info, but it is extremely valuable. Both the Lay person, and the brainiac can enjoy/utilize this guide. Brilliant!

On an aside...The 500X calls for the Elevator, Pitch and Rudder to be reversed. As per the manual. I have test hovered the 500X with all three reversed.

Thanks for your contribution.

Steve
Swaggerjacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 11:17 PM   #37 (permalink)

If I'm mistaken, please let me know.

Steve
Old 03-18-2014, 01:11 AM   #38 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggerjacker View Post
Great work. This is amazing. For someone to take the time to help fellow pilots. It is a lot of info, but it is extremely valuable. Both the Lay person, and the brainiac can enjoy/utilize this guide. Brilliant!

On an aside...The 500X calls for the Elevator, Pitch and Rudder to be reversed. As per the manual. I have test hovered the 500X with all three reversed.

Thanks for your contribution.

Steve
Quote:
If I'm mistaken, please let me know.

Steve
You are correct. The elevator does need to be reversed on the 500X (according to the manual). Not having a 500X myself, I missed this when creating the settings post.

Seems weird as 300X, 450X and 500X all use the AR7200BX Receiver/FBL unit.

Corrected 500X settings:

500X
  • Model Type: HELI
  • Model Name: 500X
  • Swash: 1 SERVO 90°
  • Reverse: Elev, Rudd, Pitch
  • D/R Combi: D/R SW: Rudd DR
  • Timer: 4:00 Trainer
  • ThroCur: (0, 30, 60, 60, 60 - 100, 100, 100, 100, 100 - 10)
  • PitcCur: (30, 40, 50, 75, 100 - 0, 25, 50, 75, 100 - 0, 25, 50, 75, 100)
  • Aile/Elev DR&expo: (85/0 - 100/0)
  • Rudd DR&expo: (85/0 - 100/0)
  • Gyro: 77.0% (norm), 77.0% (stunt) Sw:F.Mode
(500X uses the AR7200BX FBL unit. Sub trim should be 0, Travel adjust 0, expo settings can be done in the AR7200BX unit. My preference is to have expo in the TX and disable expo in the FBL unit (B. Control Behavior - default is Sport (Red Flashing), I would recommend Transmitter (Blue Solid)) as this can be adjusted easier as skills progress or as the need calls for it. In this case use 15 for expo as a start point on Aile/Elev (ie. (85/15 - 100/15) ).
Old 03-18-2014, 01:23 AM   #39 (permalink)

In hindsight, I probably should have PM'ed you. I apologize for that. I just didn't want someone to try to fly the 500X without the elevator reversed.

I too found it odd that the 500X differs from the others.

Steve
Old 03-18-2014, 01:50 AM   #40 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
In hindsight, I probably should have PM'ed you. I apologize for that. I just didn't want someone to try to fly the 500X without the elevator reversed.

I too found it odd that the 500X differs from the others.

Steve
That's fine. It's in the thread now. Good catch. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in