Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default smaller parallel board into larger "main" board

I have the large FMA parallel charge board. Can I keep this board plugged into my PL8 at all times and then just plug my JST-PH parallel board into one channel of it, similar to my picture here? The big board will charge all of my other batteries, but I need the small board to charge my mCPX BL batteries. Thanks!

I will use a Dean's T-plug to banana plug adapter on the main board to plug the smaller board into.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150106_145601.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	561030  
blackkat98 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My opinion, I've never considered this kind of scenario before:

- Can you leave it connected? Yes.
- Is it risky? Yes.

The main leads of both boards are connected at the charger (their balance leads are too, but that's less of a concern to me). Which means that if you connect a 6S pack to the big board, there is 6S voltage waiting to blast into any little 2S packs that may still be connected to the little board.

(Granted, there are fuses on at least the big board, maybe also the little one, but it's still better not to drive around like a maniac, even though your car has airbags to help reduce injuries in a crash)

I think if you promise to never have any packs connected to *both* boards at the same time, you're OK

But, in my mind, it's a risk that I would prefer to avoid. Stuff happens. I'd disconnect the little board when not using it, if it were me.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2015, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

That seems like good advice. It takes not even 10 seconds to switch out the boards, so I'd not want to take the chance that I'd forget and leave mCPx batteries plugged in while charging the bigger batteries.

I've been recently getting quite the education from RedOctobyr on charging (i.e. I'm no expert), but I tend to (in general) want to minimize the number of plugs in an electrical system. Each plug creates an opportunity for error (plug it in backwards, or a short, loss of efficiency, etc...).

By my count, that's like 5+ plugs you got there just from the charger to the 2s balance board.

Blade 450x V2, Nano CPx, 120SR, mCX2, Scout, DX6i. Just assume I have others, I probably won't update this every time I get a new heli... ;-)
jbrandt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackkat98 View Post
I have the large FMA parallel charge board. Can I keep this board plugged into my PL8 at all times and then just plug my JST-PH parallel board into one channel of it, similar to my picture here? The big board will charge all of my other batteries, but I need the small board to charge my mCPX BL batteries. Thanks!

I will use a Dean's T-plug to banana plug adapter on the main board to plug the smaller board into.
Well I do basically that except my 1s board has a Deans on it (instead of your banana plugs) that I plug into the Deans that is on the parallel charge board. I also have the equivalent balancing plug that is necessary to also plug into the parallel board for my PL6 to operate.

I of course unplug the 1s setup when ever I balance larger multi cell packs that I think you do too. Wouldn't matter with no cells in the 1s board, but I do it anyway.
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in