Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Is discharge rating relative to capacity?

If I wanted to use a 1200mah/20c battery in a helicopter that comes standard with a 800mah/30c battery, does this mean the 20c rating is good? Likewise a 1600mah/15c would work in place of the 800mah/30c also, right?
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default not quite the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by k450 View Post
If I wanted to use a 1200mah/20c battery in a helicopter that comes standard with a 800mah/30c battery, does this mean the 20c rating is good? Likewise a 1600mah/15c would work in place of the 800mah/30c also, right?
Actually, the "mah" number is your battery capacity. Think of that as the gas tank in your car. I dont have a full comprehension of the "C" rating but I can tell you this....the higher the "C" rating, the better off you are. I use to use 20C packs because they were cheaper. Now, my flying skills are getting better and I'm really pushing my helicopters and demanding more from the electronics, I'm putting more of a load on my batteries. It did not take me long to puff my 20C packs. One of them is puffed very very badly. Since then, I've spent the extra money on some 45C packs and I've been flying just as hard as before, if not harder, and the batteries are showing no signs of puffing and hardly get warm.

Now...if you wanted to use a 1200mah/20C battery in a heli that comes with an 800mah/30, I think you will surely be fine to do that, as long as your CG still comes out right. With a larger capacity battery, you may find that your helicopter is a bit nose heavy. With the larger capacity battery, you would also be able to fly a bit longer. If you are just hovering or sport flying, as long as the CG comes out right, I think you won't notice any difference.

In my experience...a higher C rating is always better.
mountaindewdude76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by k450 View Post
In terms of the amps they can output, yes, by the specs, an 800mAh/30C can output the same amps as a 1600mAh/15C.

An 800mAh 1C battery could output 0.8A. An 800mAh 10C battery could output 8A. A 1600mAh 5C battery could also output 8A. And so on.

But practically speaking, there's more to it than that. The 800mAh/30C and 1600mAh/15 can output the same amps. But the 1600mAh will be much heavier. Which means the motor will have to work a lot harder to try and get you off the ground. Meaning you also draw more amps, and your motor & ESC run hotter.

Generalizing, it seems like maybe you can to go a battery that's, say, 30-50% larger than stock. I'm kinda making up numbers. But you need to be mindful of your CoG, as mountaindewdude76 said. And you need to consider the overall weight of the heli.

A given heli might fly 4 minutes with 800mAh. Maybe you get 5:30 with 1200mAh (it won't quite scale linearly to 6 minutes, because you're keeping more weight in the air), though it will feel more sluggish in the air, and the motor & ESC will likely be warmer. And with 2400mAh, you might have enough energy to spin the motor at full throttle for 8 minutes, but maybe you never actually get off the ground.

There's a sweet spot to be found, and it will vary based on what kind of flying you're looking to do. Practicing hovering for 5:30 might be perfect for one person, but that setup might be a total disappointment to someone trying to learn tic-tocs.

Going from 800mAh to 1600mAh sounds like probably too big of a jump, to me. Maybe 1200 might be reasonable. If this is a common heli, see what other people are using for battery sizes, that will help figure out what's workable.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in