Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 06:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Connecting 720BE with Graupner via PPM

Is anyone here running the Grapuner and connected with PPM? I am trying out a MZ-18 radio and if possible use PPM for the connection. I've got the PPM wire connected to the IO-B port and set the receiver type to Graupner. The actual receiver is a Graupner 24L and the SUM port is 8. I'f asked and received help from another forum on the Graupner, but still am unable to make it work. If anyone has an idea I'd be open to hearing it.
sctholson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you set the servo order in the PPM stream to match what Skookum reads?

20ms Positive PPM

I've got all 5 of my helis running PPM from Jeti receivers using the following mapping

1 Aileron
2 Elevator
3 Throttle
4 Rudder
5 maps to Gear in the FBL setup
6 Pitch
7 maps to AUX2 in FBL setup
8 maps to AUX3 in FBL setup
Old 08-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Mark,
Awesome......I haven't done this mapping and didn't know it had to be done. I can't wait to try it. I haven't found a lick of instructions on this. Did you discover this by trial and error?

Is there a resource out there that you used?
Old 08-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctholson View Post
Mark,
Awesome......I haven't done this mapping and didn't know it had to be done. I can't wait to try it. I haven't found a lick of instructions on this. Did you discover this by trial and error?

Is there a resource out there that you used?
This was documented on the Jeti forum by one of the Jeti Reps.

I've never touched a Graupner TX, but PPM is PPM and what I listed is what the SK-720 wants to see.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Mark, once again!

Esprit had me setup at 17ms pos ppm instead of 20. I am going back and changing my values. The SK is responsive to both it seems now that I loaded it up at 20?

Mind if I give credit and copy your mapping in the main 4.01 sticky thread?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well I wish I could say that this work... but I had no luck. giving up for the night and I'll try to call Open Hobby tomorrow and see if they can give me help over the phone. I'm darn frustrated and don't like to give up. However, I'm no further along than I was yesterday and in fact further annoyed that I can't figure it out.
I even gave up with the skookum and tried it on an iKON and still had no luck. I'm banging my head against the wall and it doesn't feel very good.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Thanks Mark, once again!

Esprit had me setup at 17ms pos ppm instead of 20. I am going back and changing my values. The SK is responsive to both it seems now that I loaded it up at 20?

Mind if I give credit and copy your mapping in the main 4.01 sticky thread?
I thought 17ms is the UDI speed.

Did you have your great flight before or after changing to 20ms ?
Old 08-07-2014, 04:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mark,
Does your Jeti receiver get power from the Skookum through the ppm connection?

Are you using a power bus?
Old 08-07-2014, 05:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes it gives power through ppm cable.
Rockarruda is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 05:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well power to the receiver was the clue that I was overlooking. I have found that the receiver wasn't powering up on when I powered the skookum.
Port 8 on the 24L is very tight fitting with the servo connector and the plug wasn't in all the way. Once I pushed it in all the way (may not ever come out) and changed the output to SUMD HD12 the Skookum came to life. Still need to map the channels correctly.

If I'm not mistaken, the 4.0 update brought SUMD capability to the 720BE, because everything I've read indicates that the 720BE didn't support SUMD.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Well power to the receiver was the clue that I was overlooking. I have found that the receiver wasn't powering up on when I powered the skookum.
Port 8 on the 24L is very tight fitting with the servo connector and the plug wasn't in all the way. Once I pushed it in all the way (may not ever come out) and changed the output to SUMD HD12 the Skookum came to life. Still need to map the channels correctly.

If I'm not mistaken, the 4.0 update brought SUMD capability to the 720BE, because everything I've read indicates that the 720BE didn't support SUMD.
4.0 adds Mikado/Jeti UDI which also = JR X-Bus

I'm not sure if SUMD is another synonym or not.

Have you decided not to use PPM or does the 24L not support it?
Old 08-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have not received any kind of confirmation from Skookum, but there was additional support for Graupner in the 4.0 release. In a previous post by Art, he mentioned that in version 4 on the 720BE that the Graupner (and others) would plug directly into IO-B.

I didn't not decide to use PPM, SUMD, as far as I know, is digital PPM. From Graupner's manual:
The digital output signal of all channels in receiver is outputted from the selected
channel. It is used to the product that needs the receiver digital signal such as
Power box and Flybarless system.

Additionally, the GR-12L receiver supports SUMD and I'd rather use that smaller receiver than the 24L. The 12L is a six channel receiver... what will I have to give up to use a six channel receiver? I'll have to think about that.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I have not received any kind of confirmation from Skookum, but there was additional support for Graupner in the 4.0 release. In a previous post by Art, he mentioned that in version 4 on the 720BE that the Graupner (and others) would plug directly into IO-B.

I didn't not decide to use PPM, SUMD, as far as I know, is digital PPM. From Graupner's manual:
The digital output signal of all channels in receiver is outputted from the selected
channel. It is used to the product that needs the receiver digital signal such as
Power box and Flybarless system.

Additionally, the GR-12L receiver supports SUMD and I'd rather use that smaller receiver than the 24L. The 12L is a six channel receiver... what will I have to give up to use a six channel receiver? I'll have to think about that.
PPM is analog by definition = Pulse Position Modulation
UDI, X-Bus is digital.

Groucho has UDI working with his Jeti system. I haven't setup UDI yet.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well I look forward to the next Graupner mystery I need to solve. I unbelievably set up the channel map this morning by accident. I need to confirm curves, throttle hold, switch assignments and whatever else comes along.
I really was ready to pull my hair out!
Old 08-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Well I look forward to the next Graupner mystery I need to solve. I unbelievably set up the channel map this morning by accident. I need to confirm curves, throttle hold, switch assignments and whatever else comes along.
I really was ready to pull my hair out!
I've heard they are a bit "fun" to configure.

Hopefully it is downhill from here!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Graupner is getting easier. A new user to Graupner coming from another radio, needs to just discard everything we ever learned about radio programming.
The manual is pretty detailed, but doesn't explain what the features are used for. As an example there appears to be three places to change channel mapping. The instructions aren't clear and there aren't enough users posting about it yet to make the forums very helpful.
I do like the radio and maybe this weekend I'll fly my heli with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in