Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > NX4

NX4 Discussion and support of the Gaui NX4 Nitro Helicopter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool NX4 motor temp?

Thanks for the help I got from HF members ,I got to fly my first nitro heli that NX4 is a fun machine after getting the gov to work right I noticed that the back plate of the motor was a little warm to the touch so my question is how to cool it down a bit,it took me 2 hrs to get it fly able ,but that's kool....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

what fuel/ nitro% and , new motor or used? how far open/ closed is the main needle?
b_s_chance is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like you might be running a little lean. Using 30% nitro most of us are at 1 1/4 turns out on the needle. The backplate should be warm, but you should be able to keep your hand on it comfortably for a pretty good while. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2014, 03:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You also can buy a non contact hand held IR temperature gun to take the guess work out of it. They are not to exspensive.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf1946 View Post
Thanks for the help I got from HF members ,I got to fly my first nitro heli that NX4 is a fun machine after getting the gov to work right I noticed that the back plate of the motor was a little warm to the touch so my question is how to cool it down a bit,it took me 2 hrs to get it fly able ,but that's kool....
Regarding cooling it down after a flight, if you run it at a mixture setting that that isn't too lean, and rich enough for your flying style, you should be able to fuel fly, fuel fly over and over! Nitro engines need to heat up to operating temp to run their best so allowing it to cool before you fly again sort of brings you back to needing to heat it up again for the first part of a flight, every time.

FWIW, I've never temped my .37. I just fly it, tune it for the weather/altitude and go!
Old 09-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I temp gunned mine just after shutting off the motor, 130F. Took temp on the side of the crank case just below the fins, where it says 37,

All temp guns read different tho, if you can't hold a finger on that spot for 5 seconds your too lean.
On these warm summer days with 30% I'm only getting 4:30 on the main tank.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 6 gallons through my 37 now. I don't own a temp gun. My needles are way off the recommended settings. When I put my needle 1.5 turns out i don't get any power and my exhaust deflector looks like a shower head. My glow plugs last about 2 gallons a piece. Not bad.

What I'm saying is that I agree with Nasca, these aren't Novarossi engines. There is plenty of room for error.

I aim to get about 6.5 minutes without dipping into the aux tank. Depending on the weather, I can run it to 8 minutes. Might as well pull up a chair. I use punchouts to tune. Let the engine warm up, and then do a punch out. It should be smooth, with a steady stream of smoke. If you are rich it will load up, especially in the first 20 feet of the climb. If youre lean, it will get raspy, especailly 50 feet up and higher. Not exactly scientific, but enough for the 37. I learned all this at Ircha this year, this is my first nitro.
bgymr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

over time you will know what to look for and listen for when it comes to tuning this motor.
I'm getting 4 - 4.5 minutes on the main tank. running 30% RR. But Im not letting up on the machine the whole flight.
My main needle is about 3/4 turn out.
I'm going to start messing around with governor settings on vbar to see if I can get more power out of the motor, and some of the run time back.

so your goal of 6.5 minutes on the main tank might put you very lean depending on your flying style, I don't adjust more than 2 clicks at a time with this motor.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Most guys I flew with at ircha were getting 6.5 minutes on teh main. I try to richen mine, but my deflector starts looking like a shower head with non burned fuel coming out.

How long of flight times is everyone getting on the main tank? And post your HS if you know and fuel.

That is the nice thing about this heli. It's like the stock racing class, even if you want to, the drive train is hard to upgrade. We are essentially flying identical helis. lol
bgymr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

well today I messed with the needle more, got 6 min on the main tank. 2700 HS
it felt a bit lean. Outside temp was 75F

the main needle was set at 3/4 exactly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in