Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Dips / Tilts to the right

Hi. 16 flights on the 300 and the last 3 flights, I have noticed once per flight a un commanded tilt / dip to the right maybe 15-30 degrees (looking tail in) The helicopter pops right back into a normal hover, after the tilt. Should I be looking at (maintenance) or something else.

Thanks
Blackanthem is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My heli did this once, after I removed the zip tie on the beastX.
I wasn't sure if that was the real reason, or maybe it just initialized poorly that one time.

After that, I put the zip tie back on, tight. The rest of the batteries flew just fine.. I'm going to experiment with this a bit and just use the 3m 411 tape to mount it, as others have indicated this may work better than the thick padded tape.

On edit:
I just read another thread, which had a post from hubschauberpilot from a while ago:
===========
DO NOT REMOVE THE CABLE TIE FROM THE AR7200BX !!!

I have done it, and soon encountered a permanet drift/roll to the right at higher speed (even with carbon blades).
The beastX obviously needs to be strapped to the (weak) frame on this little light heli !
============
InFocus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I have read here, that the sticky tape that comes with the 300X could be influenced by heat. It has been in the 90's the last few times I have flown it. I do notice a very slight tail "wag" in the helicopter.
Blackanthem is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's been my experience that the stock tape is much too soft when the temperature is high. Maybe that's why it works well in Germany (and Illinois) but pretty much sucks everywhere else. All my BeastX units are much happier mounted with thin 3M tape.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the exact same problem. I'm not talking about drifting or anything, mine was an uncommanded sudden tilt to the right - scary. Nearly crashed it once.

Fixed mine by remounting to the boom support using different thinner mounting tape. I'm not using a zip-tie
stevebaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Hi again. I am trying to see where the vibrations are coming from. One thing I noticed is that when the main rotor blades are extended. Holding the helicopter tail in, holding the blades near the grips, I can get a up and down motion, that looks like play. As an example, if you were to pick up the helicopter by the blades, near the grips, it would not be solid, the blades would move up. If I am not making sense I can post a video.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
It's been my experience that the stock tape is much too soft when the temperature is high. Maybe that's why it works well in Germany (and Illinois) but pretty much sucks everywhere else. All my BeastX units are much happier mounted with thin 3M tape.
we've had some of the hottest weather out here in the midwest for some 20 years. I know for a fact that the tape they use is quite sticky. The stiffness is debateable!
I seen on youtube, fwiw, A guy using velcro to strap on his beast x. Said it would shake a bit causing unwanted corrections without it.
I wish the controller was on top, and I may still go that route, but I believe it's fine where it is and a lil covered from a crash, just don't undo the tie or the frame and the controller will get together and cause problems, that's what I get.
bradharvy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

So here is what I found after a lot of playing with mine. I removed the main rotor blades and spooled it up. I noticed that only at medium head speeds I had significant vibrations. Then I removed the tail blades and spun it up again. The vibration was gone. Replaced tail blades and spooled it up again. The vibration was less, but still there. After looking carefully at my tail boom I noticed it was bent very slightly. Almost could not see. I bent the tail boom back and now the vibrations is almost gone, and it no longer rolls right. I think the cause was that the boom was bent just enough to allow the belt to rub against it causing vibration.
bsjohn84 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackanthem View Post
Hi again. I am trying to see where the vibrations are coming from. One thing I noticed is that when the main rotor blades are extended. Holding the helicopter tail in, holding the blades near the grips, I can get a up and down motion, that looks like play. As an example, if you were to pick up the helicopter by the blades, near the grips, it would not be solid, the blades would move up. If I am not making sense I can post a video.

Thanks
If there is some up and down play on the mainshaft, loosen the alloy ring that sits on the top bearing. Pull up on the head and push the ring down and tighten the grub screw. You should be able to get rid of it.
andycrazy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

The RROD (Right Roll of Death) phenomenon is nothing new to the 300X. Over the years the consensus has generally been that the vibrations which cause it must be of a frequency significantly higher than is likely to be generated by the main rotor mechanics. And the areas most likely to generate such high frequency vibrations are the brushless motor and the tail rotor mechanics. It's unlikely that a belt rubbing would be the root cause although that would cause other problems like destroying the belt and static buildup.

The fixes that most often worked are as follows.
  1. Replace the main motor. Poor tolerances in the stock main motor will cause the shaft bearings to wear out resulting in high frequency vibrations in the beginning and a complete bearing failure eventually.
  2. Replace the tail rotor hub/grips assembly. The stock tail hub assembly is sometimes poorly balanced and so people have had good results by switching out for an Align 450 tail hub and grips to reduce vibrations from the tail.
  3. It's possible to over-tighten the screws in the stock plastic tail case such that some warping can occur. This causes the bearings to become slightly out of alignment and results in vibrations from the tail. Only tighten them down to the point where they are flush and don't wrench down on them.
In my case it was definitely the 320H motor. It started doing the RROD thing after only a few flights and the bearings gave out and seized within a dozen flights. After replacing the motor I never saw the problem again in the two years I've owned the heli.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in