Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Avant RC - Mostro & Aurora

Avant RC - Mostro & Aurora Avant Mostro, Aurora, Electric eAurora, RigidCore Flybarless Head, Avant EFX and Avant FX Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Mostro nitro head issue

I am assembling my Mostro and when I tighten the two 6m screws on each end of the feathering shaft it pretty much locks the grips. I can rotate them with a bit of force but more than any sevrvo will move. I checked it a few times its per the instructions.

Small O-ring on the end, larger O-ring on the diameter. insert into the head block(it was so tight it eats up the dang large o-ring). The two blade grip bearings were pre installed so no need to do that. Then I added the large thing swasher/spacer followed by the thrust bearing first, large inner diameter first, then the roller, then the out wall with smaller diameter. Then the big flat washer folllowed by the 6m screw.

Did I miss something?
FenderBean is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2014, 05:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

maybe the pre installed bearings are not seated correctly, that would be the first thing id check. Stick the grips in the oven for ten mins to remove the bearings and refit them.
tony stevens is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

You forgot to grease the O rings.
s car go is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 07:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony stevens View Post
maybe the pre installed bearings are not seated correctly, that would be the first thing id check. Stick the grips in the oven for ten mins to remove the bearings and refit them.
Careful not to cook the grease out .....................................
Kepstang is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 07:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by s car go View Post
You forgot to grease the O rings.
If you did not lubricate the assembly, could it be that the dampener is not seated fully and is compressed enough at the bearing contact point inhibiting rotation?

Just guessing here..............

Let us know what you find.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I did lube the 0-rings they were so tight that every time I worked on pushing them and pulled them back out it was dry. Never seen a head and dampers this tight. I dont think I can get them back out to try and re-lube but I will try. I did apply grease to the thrust bearings. I didnt think the black bushings rotate?
Old 10-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Use cooking spray when you install the dapeners in an Avant it works better than anything I have tried. Just make sure not to get it in the threads of the feathering shaft but if you do just clean the crap out of it with denatured alcohol.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Put the dampeners in the freezer for 10 minutes. They should pretty much fall into place.
kumar2494 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBean View Post
I did lube the 0-rings they were so tight that every time I worked on pushing them and pulled them back out it was dry. Never seen a head and dampers this tight. I dont think I can get them back out to try and re-lube but I will try. I did apply grease to the thrust bearings. I didnt think the black bushings rotate?
You are correct. They do not rotate.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any suggestions? The black dampers are in as far as the will go, all the bearings and spacer/washers are in the correct spot and greased.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rechecked everything and its all right here is a small video.
Avant Mostro Nitro head issue (6 min 33 sec)
Old 10-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Video doesn't work
kumar2494 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBean View Post
Rechecked everything and its all right here is a small video.
Avant Mostro Nitro head issue - YouTube
If you haven't already, I would contact CarbonXtreme/Avant.

Please email them following this address:

customerservice@carbonxtreme.com

Representing:
AMain Hobbies, XNova Motors
Jason Bell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

video is working now it was just up loading. What should I ask them at Carbon extreme?

Also I took both the thin spacer out, the one that goes in 1st after you slide the blade grip on and the head is perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	546078  
Old 10-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default don't

if you remove that washer your thrust bearings will no longer work properly
frito169 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dumb question but is there a chance that the screw that attaches the pitch arm to the grip is long enough to go through and lock the bearing keeping it from seating deep enough into the grip? I remember one heli that I had where one of these screws was just a fraction too long or the pocket was machined just a little too deep causing interfearance.

Grasping at straws here but ................
Old 10-29-2014, 09:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

removed the bolts from the pitch arms and same thing, the bearings appear to be fully seated in the blade grips.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Crap dude. Given all you have done and checked, Avant needs to do something. Has customer service replied or have you been able to talk to a live Avant representative yet. Keep us posted. Interested in what support you get and what their solution is.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

No response, does anyone have a phone number of who I should call? is avant and carbon extreme the same?

a half ass solution video is uploading
Avant Mostro head issue (5 min 35 sec)
Old 10-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

On my Aurora 90E, built last year in March, I had the exact opposite happen to me...the blade grips were too loose and would slide back and forth when pushed/pulled longitudinally.

Almost as if the dampeners were too thin, the grips machined too much or the feathering shaft was too long..sometimes all it takes is a few Thousandth's and its no good.

I contacted Amain's Jason Bell, (as I got the kit from AMH), and he suggested a new set of dampeners, which I bought.

Our thought was that they were too thin..they were not..so the feathering shaft was my next guess...

I was told to send the head to Avant.

A few days later they sent me a new one, already assembled and locked with thread locker, ready to install and go..

Just a remark..while I was able to get the original dampeners out, by heating the head in the oven, and pushing on them, they were scared and damaged in the process...not that I cared as after the heat, I did not want to use those dampeners anymore anyway.

So I put the new dampeners in, same method...heat head, freeze dampeners and grease before with lithium grease...the new ones went in all right, but would not come out no matter what I tried..heat, push, pull, pray, voodoo, witchcraft, heck I even let them sit for 20 minutes like you do with two dogs humping.....nothing did it!!

anyway...I was told to send the head to them which I did...they got me a new one..

I recall also receiving an email from them asking me if I had CA the dampeners!! ahahahaha they couldn't get them out either!!

So there is room for a better tolerance check by Avant after manufacturing...but its ok..its still worth it..the helis are fantastic..

I never figured out what had happened..if the grips were machined too thin, if the feathering shaft was to long, or even the center of the head..something was...and I never got to ask what it was...

Last edited by Alex M K; 10-30-2014 at 01:20 PM..
Alex M K is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in