Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters > Zoom/Shogun 400

Zoom/Shogun 400 Electric - Zoom - Shogun 400 Specific Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What brushless motor for Zap 400?

I have gone through my third stock Zap 400 motor (given to me for free)so i think it is time to go for a upgrade.
Can anyone reccommend a brushless motor and speed controller to match.
I am running a 20c-30c 17oomAh 11.1 V 3 cell battery at the moment
Fazz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

I am using 4 different motors on 4 different shogun/zap/zoom heli's.

EF brushless 3600 kv with 9t pinion - w/Phoenix 25
- fair amount of torque, enough for mild 3D and sport flying. very efficient to the point that TP1320 3S lipos can be used. With TP2100, 12 min's of sport flying, up to 14 min of hovering about with mild ff.

JGF 400DH w/8t pinion and Phoenix 25 ESC
- High torque, handles medium 3D, not effincient really, puffs TP1320's, 9 min sport flying with TP2100, 10 - 12 min hovering about.

Align 430 w/Phoenix 35
- Stout power, hard 3D w/2800 headspeed at 85%throttle, 8 min on TP2100

Medusa 3400 w/Align 35 or Phoenix 35
- Sick......Simply Sick

I would not recomment the last two without significant CNC upgrades to both head and tail plus CF Blades. Very high rotor speeds with these two. The Medusa is producing 3K at 78% and there is no change in hs with any maneuvor. Longest flight on a TP2100 is 8 min......way....way....WAY overpowered and if not for Heliup drive train and frame and arrow shaft boom....I believe a stocker would explode....quite sure in fact.

The ablosulte best motor/esc setup for a shogun is the JGF 400DH w/phoenix 25 esc. $110 for everything (don't forget to order the 8t pinion from Just go Fly)
futura is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks heaps for that,think i will go for the JGF 400.
Will that batterie im using work good enough?
Fazz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2007, 07:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

That battery should be just fine.....basically anything over 15c with 20c burst. I don't know about the flight times but you should get 7 - 8 min maybe. Just keep checking voltage and battery temp/condition through the first few flights...

happy flying
Old 04-16-2007, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Align 430 on the Shogun

Hi Futura,

Can you tell me what pinion tooth count you used for the Align430 on the Shogun?

I have a 13 but am having problems with the governor. Just got the very helpful advice from Castle and will be readjusting the gov settings but I could use your advice as well since you been there.

Thanks Bryanj
bryanj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2007, 07:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've used both an 11 and a 12 tooth. The 11 tooth is better overall and the motor stays the coolest with very slight bogging at extreem punch outs.

The 12t runs hotter....130 - 135 deg (not too hot but still too high for my tastes). A little more bogging but the big issue is how far I have to turn the throttle down for relaxed flying ie...2600 hs = 70%. This is outside the efficient range for the motor and produces the heat.

The 11t at 80% is 2600- 2700 after the battery drops under 12V (first couple minutes) and produces good power/torgue and is 110 deg after 8 minutes. This is the best for this motor in the shogun IMO.

I'd be willing to bet (haven't tried it though) that a 10t with the throttle at 90% would be absolutely perfect. The shogun flies the smoothest with a head speed between 2500 and 2600. If you have the torgue to maintain this hs the heli is light enough to do fairly agressive 3D at 2600.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just thought I'd let you guys know about this motor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=016

I'm running the KA450 with an 11-tooth pinion and a Dynam ESC on one of my W36 and it's a good combo. I don't have a tach so I can't say what the headspeed is, but it seems about right to me. It seems pretty close to my heli with the JGF450TH & 13-tooth pinion, though. A 13-tooth on the KA450 would probably be good, as well. For the ESC, you can get the 30A Dynam from Helidirect for $25.
Orion1024 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in