Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default My Hero

I thought I would share this here as I've recently started looking for a Mosquito to turn paint up in the same livery as my Grandfather's plane and remembered this post I made on another forum a few years ago.
I thought some of you guys might find this an interesting read.

The original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
I was going to post this around ANZAC day time, but it was around the same time as the death of a fellow forum members father, and I didn't want to overshadow that.
Here is some info about my Grandfather, Donald Pizzey, who died 6 years ago, he was an amazing granddad, and in my eyes, a Hero for sure.
He was navigator/camera guy in recon Mosquito's. No bombs, no guns, only a side arm.
They used to photograph strategic targets before and after the bombing runs to ensure they where getting the correct targets and destroying them.
He was shot down over Hungary, captured, and sent to Stalag, which wasn't a nice place from the stories.
He was released, had a family, and when he died a few years ago, my dad and me did a bit of a google search on him.
I have found the old RAF records showing his flights and documents and his prisoner number from Stalag.
My dad actually found some interesing info from an aviation buff overseas, who had info on his plane etc.
Here's an excerpt from the conversation between my dad, and the aviation dude.

Quote:
ENTRIES FROM A BULLETIN BOARD:
Notes from squadron records: “A” Flight, 680 PR Squadron, San Severo (Base in Italy).
"The first Mosquito airborne (F/O Christiernsson and F/Sgt L Wells) set course for the Athens area, all targets were successfully covered in spite of accurate flak over Athens.

The second Mosquito took off (F/Lt S McGreith (124790) and F/Sgt D Pizzey (1578042) were briefed to cover the Danube from Vienna to Esztergorm. The aircraft was airborne at 10.15 hrs and was due back at approx 15.00 hrs. It is with deep regret that it is now reported that the aircraft failed to return to base and that no further news has been heard of either aircraft or crew."
==================================
D. Pizzey - 1578042, is in the PoW-register, Camp (Stalag) 9C (Mühlhausen) number 1249.

===========================

FROM ME TO THIS GABOR GUY WHO’S EMAIL I GOT FROM THE BULLTIN BOARD:

Gabor,

After being hit near/over Pest (Budapest), my father plotted a course for Yugoslavia.

Damage included a hit to the glycol tank which left a nice vapour trail which attracted more flak.

Cerainly oil sprayed onto the screen from one engine.

As they descended the pilot found that the flaps were damaged & not working, the hatch was also jammed so bailing out was not an option.. (& possibly there was damage to the undercarriage but not sure on that).

As they came down the pilot deliberately stalled into the tops of trees to slow the descent as a full speed crash into the ground would have been fatal. The wings sheered off as the plane crashed through the trees & the plane twisted and exited into a hay stack which was set on fire.

The pilot was concussed and my father dragged him out through the shattered perspex nose cone. The plane was destroyed by fire.

They were taken into custody by locals but then taken away by German military.

They were taken in packed rail cattle trucks to Germany where they were split up.

Some of the detail came to light when they met up at a 50th anniversary get together. The pilot (S McCreith) (Mac) telling my father about the flaps & deliberate stalling into the trees & my father telling the pilot about after the crash & the trip to Germany (short term memory loss because of the concussion).

Will try and contact the pilot for any other details of the plane itself or the incident.

It's been fascinating for us that others have been discussing our father.

What is your interest? How have you become involved?

Charles.

HIS REPLY:

WOW!!!!!

Hi Charles,

I am shocked a little bit reading your fantastic e-mail.... Your Dad's
plane was the only Mosquito loss of the R.A.F. over Hungary's recent (small)
territory during WWII... His plane went down near a small village, called
Orosztony, SW of Lake Balaton. Do you have any further information on this
event, eg. the letter code of your Dad's plane...etc? I assume it was grey
'A', since it belonged to the 680. squadron's 'A' Flight (first dozen of
letters) and the plane joined the unit first among the other Mossies, so
probably got code 'A'. The rudder was striped in red & white (diagonally),
the plane's color was sea-blue. There was a small black MM287 painted on
the fuselage near the tail on both sides. I try to reconstruct her color
profile, so the letter code would be critical. Could you confirm it?
...and could you send me a photo of your Dad - if possible from the WWII
era? or of his plane...? Thanks again, cheers,

Gabor

===============================

As to your question, I am an amateur
aviation historian, now for more than 15 yrs, living in Canada. My research
area is the history of the aerial war over Central Europe in 1944-45,
including the history of the US 15th AAF, RAF 205th BG. Once I was active
in wreckage recoveries, but now as I live here I just try to research
documents, letters, photos, etc. to help my friends back in Europe. Also I
am a big fan of plane color profiles, I make tonns of plane computer
graphics to help kit builders, modellers. That's why the markings are so
important. My databases contain over 3000 identified plane losses from all
nations in Hungary, including your Dad's MM287 at Orosztony. Hope this
answers your question. BTW, do you still have contact info to call your
Dad's pilot who might be still alive? Thanks, any further details are
welcome. (Here goes a sample of my graphics...) If you tell me your Dad's
plane code, I'll make a profile for it....

===============================

As an added note Buddy, I rang & talked to the pilot last night for about 20-30 minutes. General chat and rememberances, really nice guy. He remembered how awful Grandad’s puns were so we had a chuckle over that.

Talked about his love for flying & how he stayed in the RAF & became a test pilot.

Reading between the lines he was a pretty good pilot!
A Picture of his route over Hungary, showing where he was shot down.

Pictures of some of the planes from his squadron, he more than likely flew in these.

And a squadron shot, he's in there somewhere!

And this is the exact colours and plane number of the plane they where in when they got shot down.

I just want to say I still love you mate, miss you dearly, and you will always be remembered.
You where an amazing grandfather, and an amazing man, if I am even a fraction of the man you where, I'm doing well.
I still get teary every time I play with my electronics mate, you are the only one who would understand.
Spektrum DX8
Inverse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in