Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X

nano CP X Blade nano CP X Helicopters Information and Help

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hovering the N CPX out of the box (or: Why I'll Never Buy Helimax again)

Hi all,

So, I had a heli-max Axe 100 CP. Crashed it a bunch. A BUNCH! Bought the sim, and a FP heli, became more familiar, and finally got to where I could hover it. Now, it shows signs of problems, so today, I picked up a Blade Nano CPX. I LOVE IT!! I have hovered it for two lipos now (eight minutes) with nary a problem. Here's a video of one of those sessions!!

Great!! I'm going to learn how to fly this one, rather than crash it!

Kevin
KevinPJF is offline        Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Expo is your friend!!

Use some more EXPO so you have less trouble of holding the heli stationary. Try 35-40 expo on ELE , AIL and about 25-30% on Rudder. That will soften the center of your sticks.

Now, as you are pretty new.. Try this setting

NORMAL
Trottle 0-35-50-55-60
Pitch 0-25-50-75-100
EXPO as per this note.

This will tone your Nano down A LOT . You might be able to start flying around the room much easier.
So the first order for you after hovering is to learn the 4 positions ( tail in, tail left, nose in, tail right) Start with tail in and nose left and right . ONLY AFTER YOU ARE comfortable and are able to move easily between those 3, then go to nose in.

Have fun!
Old 01-16-2015, 09:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryR View Post
Use some more EXPO so you have less trouble of holding the heli stationary. Try 35-40 expo on ELE , AIL and about 25-30% on Rudder. That will soften the center of your sticks.

Now, as you are pretty new.. Try this setting

NORMAL
Trottle 0-35-50-55-60
Pitch 0-25-50-75-100
EXPO as per this note.

This will tone your Nano down A LOT . You might be able to start flying around the room much easier.
So the first order for you after hovering is to learn the 4 positions ( tail in, tail left, nose in, tail right) Start with tail in and nose left and right . ONLY AFTER YOU ARE comfortable and are able to move easily between those 3, then go to nose in.

Have fun!
Outstanding! Did it, hovered another session and it did seem more stable. I'm digging this little dude!!

Now, can you explain, on an elementary level, what "expo" is, and what, in practical application, my changing those values did?

Thanks!
Kevin
Old 01-17-2015, 12:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPJF View Post
Outstanding! Did it, hovered another session and it did seem more stable. I'm digging this little dude!!

Now, can you explain, on an elementary level, what "expo" is, and what, in practical application, my changing those values did?

Thanks!
Kevin
In a nutshell, EXPO is used to reduce the sensitivity around the center of the sticks. This make the heli less responsive to the stick movements and you need to move the sticks a greater distance to have the same response / effect. It makes the heli less twitchy and thus more controllable for beginners like you and me.
What TX are you using?? Search the forum and you will find lots of suggestions on how to tone down the "twitchiness" of the helis. Then ,when you are getting used to it, you gradually reduce the EXPO to perhaps 20% or so, that seems to be a number that feels comfortable to most flyers.
I am still using the EXPO I gave you when flying indoors, it works to keep the heli away from the walls and the furniture. :0)
Old 01-17-2015, 12:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
In a nutshell, EXPO is used to reduce the sensitivity around the center of the sticks. This make the heli less responsive to the stick movements and you need to move the sticks a greater distance to have the same response / effect. It makes the heli less twitchy and thus more controllable for beginners like you and me.
What TX are you using?? Search the forum and you will find lots of suggestions on how to tone down the "twitchiness" of the helis. Then ,when you are getting used to it, you gradually reduce the EXPO to perhaps 20% or so, that seems to be a number that feels comfortable to most flyers.
I am still using the EXPO I gave you when flying indoors, it works to keep the heli away from the walls and the furniture. :0)

I have a DX6 (not a DX6i). It was pretty overwhelming when I first got it and started looking at the programming. I'm learning. There are still a couple of terms I don't get. I'm a WHY person, opposed to a what person. I mean, I'll do the "what," as in "adjust your expo as such and such," but eventually, I'm going to want to know what that does and how. If that makes sense. If I understand the why, the what comes much easier.

This is heli #6 for me. Two, a coaxial from Sports Authority and a FB from Radio Shack (I know, I know), the Blade 200 SR-X, Nano QX, and now this on. If you want, you can include an Estes quad nano my wife bought and kicks around every now and then.

I'm just pumped I have a collective pitch helicopter I can successfully hover. That Axe 100 CP almost had me giving up entirely.

Kevin
Old 01-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Para rescue?

You Stud!
Thank You for your service

JW
Semper Fi
mtwarych3@msn.com is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your pumped now,wait until you learn to flip it and fly inverted!! Then you'll be over the moon lol such a great little heli. Glad you didn't give up after the Heli Max
shawzie is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice job Kevin !!. The more you fly it the more you will love it. Next on your list will be a pocket full of batteries. This is no joke. I started out with the stock 25c batts and now have 5 of the 45c batts and a 4 port charger. Since you are in HI. you have almost year round flying. Waite till you take it outside and fly it, it is a whole new world and you will never want the day to end, this is why you need a lot of batteries !!!.

Have fun with it.

Dave
Dragonsbreath is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

what i did to calm it down while learning how to fly it was to go into the travel adjust in my dx6i and lower the elev and ail. i kept the suggested throttle and pitch curves that were in the owners manual. i started down at 40% and after 6-7 flights i would turn it up 5% at a time. after 2 weeks i was able to raise it all the way back to 100%
Old 01-17-2015, 08:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPJF View Post
I have a DX6 (not a DX6i). It was pretty overwhelming when I first got it and started looking at the programming. I'm learning. There are still a couple of terms I don't get. I'm a WHY person, opposed to a what person. I mean, I'll do the "what," as in "adjust your expo as such and such," but eventually, I'm going to want to know what that does and how. If that makes sense. If I understand the why, the what comes much easier.

This is heli #6 for me. Two, a coaxial from Sports Authority and a FB from Radio Shack (I know, I know), the Blade 200 SR-X, Nano QX, and now this on. If you want, you can include an Estes quad nano my wife bought and kicks around every now and then.

I'm just pumped I have a collective pitch helicopter I can successfully hover. That Axe 100 CP almost had me giving up entirely.

Kevin
Without video... it never happened !!!
Old 01-17-2015, 08:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsbreath View Post
Nice job Kevin !!. The more you fly it the more you will love it. Next on your list will be a pocket full of batteries. This is no joke. I started out with the stock 25c batts and now have 5 of the 45c batts and a 4 port charger. Since you are in HI. you have almost year round flying. Waite till you take it outside and fly it, it is a whole new world and you will never want the day to end, this is why you need a lot of batteries !!!.

Have fun with it.

Dave
Kevin, just give the heli 5 minutes cooling off period between each flight.. Your motor will last longer.... a lot longer.
Put your charged batteries in your right jacket pocket and when you take the (empty )lipo uit of the heli put that in your LEFT hand pocket. Now you know which one is charged and which is empty. That will prevent you from having crashes because you inserted an empty lipo in the heli and planned a 4 minute flight at 50 feet up.
This can happen especially when a cute young woman asks you for directions and you have brain overload when you have to insert a lipo!.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Kevin, just give the heli 5 minutes cooling off period between each flight.. Your motor will last longer.... a lot longer.
Put your charged batteries in your right jacket pocket and when you take the (empty )lipo uit of the heli put that in your LEFT hand pocket. Now you know which one is charged and which is empty. That will prevent you from having crashes because you inserted an empty lipo in the heli and planned a 4 minute flight at 50 feet up.
I am too OCD to worry about that. I number my batteries and go in ascending order. Every time. If I wanna fly and #1 isn't charged, I don't fly until it is. LOL

Quote:
This can happen especially when a cute young woman asks you for directions and you have brain overload when you have to insert a lipo!
I've been married for almost 28 years to my high-school sweetheart. I'm immune. Haha

Kevin
Old 01-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm still waiting for the shoe to take off.
heli227 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in