Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Like Tree69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

at least your sticking with it
need to work on your nose in orientations
its easy to get looked into a figure 8 turn and end up not getting your 360 degree circles down. I've seen alot of guys do this. You can do alot without it but if it get it all orientations down your progression will be easier later
X-8 FPV Wing, TBS Discovery FPV, TBS Caipirinha FPV
satgod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by satgod View Post
at least your sticking with it
need to work on your nose in orientations
its easy to get looked into a figure 8 turn and end up not getting your 360 degree circles down. I've seen alot of guys do this. You can do alot without it but if it get it all orientations down your progression will be easier later
I agree Satgod. Still working on orientations too. I find that I make some dumb mistakes yet when the heli is coming back at me. Nose-in practice will help with this a lot. In addition to the 450, I work on my orientations with a V911 FP heli in my living room. Not exactly the same, but it really helps me a lot.
macdad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Video from this morning. Got away from me a little bit a couple of times. Pushing the speed a little bit and keeping on the edge of my comfort zone.

[ame]http://youtu.be/HYChoR9Qwl8[/ame]
Old 06-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Couldn't leave well enough alone and pushed it a bit. Wrecked it on the 5th or 6th battery. From inspection, the following needs to be repaired:

Feathering shaft
Main shaft (assumed)
Main gear
Tail boom - bent some more, but still seems to run freely. However, I think it is time to change.
Servo Horn

In all, not too bad. Cause of wreck... Stupid thumbs. The heli got way too close to the pilot (me), and I panicked. Then, I started slamming the sticks around. Thought I recovered, then I lost it.

We all have to have our hobbies. I think mine is spending money Either way, I had a good time flying this weekend, and I am getting a lot smoother. Just need to keep the heli a little farther away from me.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:21 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thinking about my wreck a little more, analyzing what went wrong in my head... The servo arm that broke is on the side of the heli that slammed into the ground. The servo arms have been in several accidents. Just wondering if the arm broke in flight and caused the crash. I'll never know for sure, but I'm going with that excuse
Old 06-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you have a sim or any micros ?
Old 06-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes and Yes. Apparently not spending enough time on either. I have X-heli and a V911 Fixed Pitch. I already told my wife that I want a Nano cpx for Christmas this year. I really need something small and durable to even think about inverted flight.

I have never been as coordinated as some others, so perhaps I am crashing a lot more often??? Don't know.

I do use the simulator, but I only have time for that about 1 or 2 times a week. I know it would help a lot, but I just get bored. The FP heli helped me a lot with orientations. I really am progressing, just at a cost...

Another thought: Someone at work said they think I really just like to rebuild it. I have always enjoyed fixing things that are broken. Perhaps it is just my subconcious at work creating more opportunities to fix things?
Old 06-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd skip the Nano and get a 130x. It really helped me a lot.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Rmz View Post
I'd skip the Nano and get a 130x. It really helped me a lot.
Good feedback. Thank you Mr. RMZ. I'll check out the 130x.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not far beyond your level, and I've been at it for over 2 yrs since I bought my first heli, an MCPx
Countless hours on the sim is what teaches muscle memory without the hefty costs of crashing. As suggested in this thread, some headphones with your music of choice really helps break the boredom down somewhat https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=531380
There's also some really good info in that thread if you haven't seen it already.
Good luck and Don't give up!
ahummingbird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdad View Post
Yes and Yes. Apparently not spending enough time on either. I have X-heli and a V911 Fixed Pitch. I already told my wife that I want a Nano cpx for Christmas this year. I really need something small and durable to even think about inverted flight.

I have never been as coordinated as some others, so perhaps I am crashing a lot more often??? Don't know.

I do use the simulator, but I only have time for that about 1 or 2 times a week. I know it would help a lot, but I just get bored. The FP heli helped me a lot with orientations. I really am progressing, just at a cost...

Another thought: Someone at work said they think I really just like to rebuild it. I have always enjoyed fixing things that are broken. Perhaps it is just my subconcious at work creating more opportunities to fix things?
I think you'd do well with a FBL unit with rescue.

Lose orientation? Hit the rescue button and your heli levels itself (either upright or inverted) and is rocketing into the sky in less than a second. It would save you money, but you wouldn't get to tinker as much.

The Bavarian Demon 3sx is a lifesaver for a new pilot. You'd be confident to try inverted almost immediately.

Lynx Team Pilot
Pitch-Itch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisBladeWorks View Post
I think you'd do well with a FBL unit with rescue.

Lose orientation? Hit the rescue button and your heli levels itself (either upright or inverted) and is rocketing into the sky in less than a second. It would save you money, but you wouldn't get to tinker as much.

The Bavarian Demon 3sx is a lifesaver for a new pilot. You'd be confident to try inverted almost immediately.
Wow! I checked this out and, although impressive, I went into full blown sticker shock. I understand that it could save me a lot of money in the long run, but I could rebuild my helicopter at least 10 times before that unit paid for itself. That is assuming that I could hit the bail button fast enough I have a hard time hitting the throttle hold fast enough most times.

I do appreciate the suggestion though. If I build a nicer heli in the future, I will definitely consider buying one. I just can't justify the cost considering it is almost twice as expensive as my current 450 DFC heli.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Wow! I checked this out and, although impressive, I went into full blown sticker shock. I understand that it could save me a lot of money in the long run, but I could rebuild my helicopter at least 10 times before that unit paid for itself. That is assuming that I could hit the bail button fast enough I have a hard time hitting the throttle hold fast enough most times.

I do appreciate the suggestion though. If I build a nicer heli in the future, I will definitely consider buying one. I just can't justify the cost considering it is almost twice as expensive as my current 450 DFC heli.

You've been extremely lucky if you can rebuild your heli 10 times with 500 bucks!

Lynx Team Pilot
Pitch-Itch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Received a new gyro for the FB heli and installed yesterday. Installed the new motor (cause the other one failed from HK). Took it out to hover, and the think was going crazy. Shooting up quickly and dropping quickly as I attempted to compensate.

Inspected last night and noticed something was catching in the head somewhere??? Afte an hour of playing around, I assumed an arm was bent and put it away.

Took it out this morning and flew a battery. Everything was ok, but still not right. After the first battery, I inspected the head and noticed the screw for the mixing arm backing out. Took it inside to repair, and noticed that the chunky feeling was coming from the FB cage. I loosened one set screw on the cage, and it got better. Nice and smooth now. Everything is locktited and reassembled.

So, there is zero wind this morning and I planned to fly another couple batteries. I'll be a son of a gun... They are mowing the field that I fly in. Crap! Well, maybe Sunday.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got another flight in after they completed mowing the field, then I wrecked my FB Heli... Flying way too close to the ground and made a bad correction to the wind. The blade hit the ground. Not enough time to react and hit throttle hold. These things chew themselves up in a hurry. I really did a number on it. This one will be a $50 dollar repair. It also took me a week to get over the shot to my pride.

I finally rebuilt the DFC heli. Came back from vacation and leveled the swash. Flew this heli for 2 batteries last night and 4 batteries this morning. Other than the ?bogging? issue on the other thread I started, I didn't have any issues.

I continue to practice on the simulator. Plan on slowing down again on the real thing. Sticking with figure 8s, circuits, and hovering orientations until I am very smooth and controlled. I thought about it: I hovered for something like 30-40 batteries before I started to do real figure 8s... Repetition is my friend (except for repetitive wrecks )
Old 06-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flew 2 more batteries yesterday without incident.

I have flown 2 batteries this morning as well. Thoughts:
1. My current comfort zone for flying is about 15-20' off the ground. Seems to give me enough time when I make a bad correction.
2. Have been flying in idle up for the last few batteries.
3. My turns are getting smoother. I am learning how cyclic changes affect the turn. Also getting better at maintaining the same altitude throughout the turn.
4. I am getting more comfortable with the heli getting out a little further. I have had a couple situations that I would have wrecked a couple weeks ago, due to orientation, that I handled much better this time.

Random thought: I am really glad I bought a lipo battery for the transmitter. I should have done that from the start. It would have saved me a lot of time and money.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got some sad news today I found out that my flying field, an open lot across the street, will turn into a dealership lot starting next week. I will not be able to just walk out the front door and fly anymore. I will now have to travel somewhere to fly... Either the local park (worried about spectators and dogs) or join a club.

Pros with the local park: It is only about a minute away by car.
Pros for flight club: Ability to charge on location, flying with others, etc.

Unfortunately, the closest club is about 15 minutes away (not bad), but I don't think they allow helicopters. I guess I will have to figure it out. I knew it was too good to last.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Got some sad news today I found out that my flying field, an open lot across the street, will turn into a dealership lot starting next week. I will not be able to just walk out the front door and fly anymore. I will now have to travel somewhere to fly... Either the local park (worried about spectators and dogs) or join a club.

Pros with the local park: It is only about a minute away by car.
Pros for flight club: Ability to charge on location, flying with others, etc.

Unfortunately, the closest club is about 15 minutes away (not bad), but I don't think they allow helicopters. I guess I will have to figure it out. I knew it was too good to last.
15 minutes away from a flying club is very good news. My closest one is about 30 minutes away (without traffic jam). Talk to the club, they may have pilot who fly helicopters too. Majority of the flying clubs are for airplanes.
465 (6s), Align DFC, HW50AV3, KST315 & 8910A+, SK720BE
lcc014 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flew another 4 batteries today. Working on circuits on the 3rd battery, and went a little wide. hit a tree with the tail! Leaves flying everywhere, and the heli bogged bad. It was going down, so I hit TH. Had a hard landing. Gave it a good once over. Checked shafts, servos, electrical connections, etc. Everything seemed to be fine.

Sat there in the shade of the tree for a few minutes to relax and gather myself. It also gave the heli time to cool down.

I installed the 4th battery and flew another 5.5 minutes without incident. It seems like something finally sank in over the last few days. All of a sudden, it is becoming more natural. Don't get me wrong. I am a long ways away from being good, even at sport flying, but it is nice to make it through a 3 day weekend of flying without wrecking a helicopter!
Old 06-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Read through this thread and it indeed sounds familiar. I went about it in a slightly different way. My first heli was the MCPx. Another advantage to a micro that no one else has mentioned is that you can fly it in your house. I did my first 30 or 40 flights in my smallish office (maybe 12'x12'). I put down a small 4'x4' piece of foam core and got to work. Would do three or four flights a day every night. The first week I didn't even get off the board, just made it light on the skids and then went to the right, stopped it, went to the left. Then I hovered. Once I had that down, I went back to the skids light on the ground and started to work on orientations. Nose in first. Push left, holy crap it went to the right..... then pointed to both sides. That was maybe a year ago. Frankly, my figure 8s probably still aren't as smooth as yours, but I can hover in any orientation with comfort.

This spring I built a 450, the tarot 450 pro v2. Bought it from value hobby, and am pretty sure that it isn't a real tarot. (I got a knock off of a knock off.) First flight with it was maybe a minute long. I was testing head speeds and everything. Did a light pitch pump and the tail blew out 180°. I probably could have saved it, but didn't want trouble so I hit TH and it went in. Repaired the visable damage, and went back out. Second flight, lasted maybe a minute. Turns out, I missed something on the first crash. I had bent one of the the feathering shafts and that caused an odd tendancys, one of which resulted in a flip end over end into the ground, bent the tail broke a servo on (on the 215HV serveos. That cheapo kit started to really add up to some serous money. Since then I have discovered:

The tail grip flip mod, which combined with less than perfect blade tracking, might have caused the original crash.
A failed bearing in the tail pitch slider.
Damaged and slightly incorrectly sized main shaft
The original main gear was total garbage.
The original hardware is all stripping really badly....

I'm sure this is said on these forums all the time, I wish I had just spent the money on a real quality kit the first time. Be it a true align trex 450 pro v2, or a gaui x3... or a 450L...

Anyway, I'm there with you. Try an MCPx on a smooth flat surface for your orientations. You can do it in your house, garage, or yard. I'm not going to say that I haven't replaced a tail here and there on it. But I have also bounced it off of many things, including my leg, my hands, my transmitter, my couch, several trees, concrete, the top of a tree stump, one of those park shelters.... all without any damage. Just pick it up and go flying again. I also have RF, but I find that to be boring. And, I feel the MCPx time all translates better to the 450. It has some instability that the sim doesn't give you. And for me, while I don't care if I crash it, I still get an edge of those nerves everything I spool it up. I think that is good practice as well.

Others are recommending a 130x. I haven't every flown one I can't speak to that, but have heard that they don't bounce quite as well and the parts are more expensive. HOWEVER, the tail probably makes it fly more like the 450 than the MCPx.

Have fun!
korky99_04 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in