Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > NX4

NX4 Discussion and support of the Gaui NX4 Nitro Helicopter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool Just Ordered My NX4!!!!!!!

I'm stoked! After wanting to build a very focused and diverse fleet of Helis that covers all the bases, I realized I needed to add a Nitro to my lineup. My first real Heli was a raptor 50 many years ago, and have owned a couple 90's (TT and Align) but never a FBL, nor new fresh build. Having dabbled in nitro Helis a bit I know the fuel costs of a 700 are very high, so I was looking for a smaller, maybe .50 sized bird, but I've never been a big fan of 600's and came to the decision that I either had to go really big or really small if I get back into nitro, and so small it is

I ended up essentially ordering the super combo. Not too excited about the mini servos, but at least they will take a straight 2s lipo. I think I'm going to use a full size silverline vbar and vbar gov vs the mini vbar and Gaui gov it is coming with. I also plan on trying out spektrum's telemetry unit (the smaller one) and monitor temp rpm and rx voltage. I will be using some pulse 2250 lipos for powering the servos.

I did a little bit of research, but this was mostly an impulse buy to be honest, after being too impatient waiting for the goblin 570....don't judge lol. I will be doing a bunch of reading up the next few days but had a few questions for you guys. Is there any significant consideration to consider when building? All Helis have some sort of character when building. Also what size blades does everyone seem to be really liking on this bird? A little longer since it's a tad heavy or keeping them short and cranked up? Is 30% still the fuel of choice now days? Cleaning wise, is it still best to keep the denatures alcohol away from carbon fiber, so use simple green, winded, rubbing alcohol....? This is also the first Gaui I will have built or owned, any Gaui specific things to look out for, keep an eye on, usage etc. Pretty much talking point at the field when everyone is checking out my new slick bird?

Thanks a lot guys and I'm excited to finally be joining into the Gaui family.

Keith

Last edited by gcac399; 03-03-2014 at 02:39 AM.. Reason: typos
gcac399 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 01:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm in the same boat as you, just ordered mine tonight. I'm looking forward to following this thread!
Frostwick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

i use spin 435 blades and like them better than the Gaui blades. i run 30% but i think other may run a lower %. seems most run 30 though. i clean mine when i put it up for the day with denatures alcohol and never had a issue with the carbon fiber. i have noticed it may cause some of your screw heads to start to get a rust color to them. i dont pay to much attention to it, as they will get lubed up the next time i fly.
you will find the build to be very easy and fast. Gaui assembles some of it for you already. some take those parts apart and reassemble. i used to do that with my Gaui heli's but stopped after every time i did it i found everything was correct. if you do decide to take the head apart to change the head dampers(which i would recommend red or lime green) be prepared for the toctite they use on the spindle bolts. its like nothing you have ever seen before. make sure you have some GOOD L shaped allen head wrenches to take it apart.
pay attention to the main shaft bearing blocks. they can be installed in the wrong place easily. make sure they are installed correctly. like i said before, its a easy build and nothing to pay CLOSE attention to really. run the stock gearing and set you head speed to around 2800. should be happy there. i have over 200 flights on my kit. i have only had a clutch mount break and a clutch break.. a few people had tail pitch slider failures but i'd say those issues are a thing of the past now.
good luck on the build.....

Empire Hobby/ Team Gaui USA -- Rcbearings.com
-- Cyclone Blades -- Team KDE -- A-Main Hobbies -- OMG servos
dodgeboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Just Ordered My NX4!!!!!!!

Thanks dodgeboy! That was just some of the good info I am looking for. I will have to look for those dampeners. I plan on reassembling everything built from the mfg, I'm very meticulous with stuff like that. I was planning on using job weld for the clutch liner, any thoughts on that vs like a 5min epoxy that may be easier to remove if needed? I've read a little about the tail pitch sliders, that is on my radar,a SE ell as the new version of the head...still researching that one. The other thing I read a little on was upgrading to the trex600's metal fan, that the Gaui one isn't the greatest quality....

I will have to takes. Look at my LHS But will end up probably picking up a set of edge and radix 425's, and maybe a set of those new aligns as well to try. I usually end up with kbdd's on the tails

I will be starting off using the Gaui pipe with the os37. I am debating using the mini vbar vs a full size silverline (those are better with nitro vibration, right?) as well as giving more mounting and wiring options. I ordered the Gaui nitro kit thing so will be getting the Gaui gov, and am debating with myself using that or using the vbar to govern the motor. I do plan on trying out the spektrum tm1100 telemetry to keep an eye on the cht, pack voltages and rpms.

Also another quick question, what's the standard break in procedure now days? Just kind of hover through a gallon really rich? I remember at the time I was fretting out of nitros the motors were getting less and less sensitive to all of the special break in procedures that there were. Just tune to keep under like 165*F?

Thanks for the info guys FedEx should arrive some time tomorrow

Keith
Old 03-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

after break-in (i'd do a half gallon or so with the .37) you can take it up to 180-185ish comfortably. The Gaui pipe has a pretty unique sound. It is a pinger, kind of like the old 250CC motocross bikes.

I am currently running 430MM KBDD Greens, but since they are out of production, I will probably be trying Spin Red Tips next. One bit of advice, if you are flying under 40*F, make sure you boil your gear (5 minutes on boil, take off heat, and leave in the pot for another 10-15 minutes to anneal, followed by a warm rinse). There is a stress point on the struts around where the injection point is, and they get quite brittle in colder weather. One last bit of advice, be careful with the button head screws. the ones Gaui includes with the kit are a bit soft for my taste, and I ended up replacing almost all of them. (Personal preference).

I love my little NX4!

A Main Hobbies/ProTekRC Field Rep
Spartan RC Field Rep
Todd Moriarty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the info Todd. Just got home to find my nx4 waiting for me on the porch

Time to get busy

Keith
Old 03-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default nx4

Just got mine recently,youll love it,5 min on a cup of fuel,compared to my 700n.
been flying it at least a few times a day,even in our single digit temps.
running revolution fb 425 blades on it(they were on sale at horizon for 15 bucks a set)
Old 03-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Upgrade the fan while you build it. I used the Gaui metal fan but some use the trex 600 fan I think. As for the clutch liner, I use jb weld. I didnt have much trouble replacing it a month ago.
If you can, use a fullsize vbar and the vbar gov. Dont waist your time with the Gaui gov. The vbar gov works better. If I had a vbar when I built mine thats the route I would of gone. As of now im using a ar7200bx and throttle jockey. It works just fine thats why ive never messed with it.

Empire Hobby/ Team Gaui USA -- Rcbearings.com
-- Cyclone Blades -- Team KDE -- A-Main Hobbies -- OMG servos
dodgeboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 12:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the plastic fan installed for now...we'll see how it goes. Just finished building the airframe. I need to install the servos, run wires and make linkages. It was a quick and easy build. A few funny things, but nothing too bad. Took a while to get the tail nice and smooth. It is still a little sticky at the end limits, but im hoping after some exaust gets on it and lubes it up it will smooth its self out. Also meshing the mushrooms on the tail boom was a little weird...too much and it gets really notchy and too little, well its too little haha.

Also, the mesh was pretty loose between the clutch bell and main gear. How do you guys adjust this? I loosened the assembly that holds the clutch bell in and pushed it in, but that cocked it at an angle so the oneway on the engine didnt seat well. It bites but theres a lot of backlash. It is nitro though so I'm thinking it might be ok since these engines don't have the crazy instant torque that the electrics i am used to have, but still more than I would like to see.

Thanks for all the advice guys,

Keith
Old 03-05-2014, 12:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's a quick pick of my cramped work bench but beautiful Heli

Keith
Old 03-05-2014, 01:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice!
Someone else did this mod, so I cant take credit for it. They use these for cars to hold their body clips, just drill a hole on that small plate. I bent my clips as well so they are easier to put on/off.
I would get an exhaust deflector too, if you dont have one already. You can use a foam earplug to plug the hole after flying so it doesnt drip all over the place
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140304_164849.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	492355   Click image for larger version

Name:	user72021_pic87434_1370755307.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	492356  

Last edited by Rollin_3z; 03-05-2014 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: more
Rollin_3z is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 02:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I usually put a tiptie around the hoops of those body pins, good idea on tying both of them together so they stay on the heli. I am planning on using some RC Booya quick release's, just need to work out a size issue for attatching them (m2.5 vs m3). Good call on the exhaust deflector. I noticed I forgot to pick one up as I was mounting the pipe...oops lol.

Im currently just covering all my servo wires and what not with some fancy braided stuff to make everything look neat. Not sure how well if at all it will protect them from the nitro oils, but it will definitely look good which has to count for something haha

Keith
Old 03-05-2014, 04:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Going to call it a night for tonight on working on the nx4. Had to desolder and then resolder the push button for the glow igniter to allow me to get the braided cover-er over the wires. I was going to leave it, but my OCD wouldn't let me have every wire but the one group of three be covered. I just couldn't do it haha. Also soldered up another one of my standard ec3 to 2x servo extensions to feed the vbar with power from my Rx packs (pulse 2250mAh)

Now a quick question, could I just use the sensor that came with the gaui governer with the vbar gov? Would I pretty much plug it in as-is (ie 3 wires, signal +/-) to the sensor port on the vbar??? If not do I just use the +/- wires or do I need a whole different vbar specific sensor to pick up the magnets on the fan?

I'm hoping to mount all the electronics, finish up the wiring and setup the vbar tomorrow morning-ish and hopefully be able to fire up the engine by tomorrow afternoon and see how she flys we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Also a big thanks to one of the guys I fly with. I didn't have a crank locker tool for locking the motor to install the fan (plastic one for now...) Anyways he reminded me that you can just stick a standard bic lighter into the back and it does the perfect job holding the connecting rod. Thanks John

Here are a couple pics. Very glad my LHS just restocked its fuel tubing today and so happened to pick up some red-ish looking fuel tubing

And all of the soon to be installed electronics:

Keith
Old 03-06-2014, 12:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looking great!

A Main Hobbies/ProTekRC Field Rep
Spartan RC Field Rep
Todd Moriarty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin_3z View Post
Nice!
Someone else did this mod, so I cant take credit for it. They use these for cars to hold their body clips, just drill a hole on that small plate. I bent my clips as well so they are easier to put on/off.
I replaced mine with RCBooya Quick Release Canopy mounts.
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gcac399 make sure your fuel line coming from the pipe to the top of the tank dosent kink the way gaui has it coming out its really easy to make it kink I run mine under the main gear and out its a lot nicer of a turn other than that you will love this bird I put it up on the shelf when I got my 600n like in idiot and pulled it back out the other day to give my buddy the Edge blades I hade off of it bc he broke his and was like I'm going to fly it in my back yard put the gaui blades on and beat the crap put of it in this little area I love this heli ot Flys like my 600n but with half the fuel lol I'm getting about 7 min with cool power 30% I have a beastx and the gaui gov it's just great best 500 I have ever flown????? Have fun with it and watch that fuel line it will give you a headache if you don't watch it lol have fun

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I noticed that kink and rerouted the fuel tube like you mentioned. I am disappointed that the hole made in the frames for the glow igniter isn't accessible when the canopy is on. Kind of kills the convenience of not having to take the canopy off. I plan on mounting it at the back of the frame below the tail pushrod lever thing so I can access it without taking the canopy off.

Also, where do you guys get those plugs for the exhaust to keep it from leaking? My LHS didn't have anything so I guess I need to order one from somewhere.

Thanks,

Keith
Old 03-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcac399 View Post
I am disappointed that the hole made in the frames for the glow igniter isn't accessible when the canopy is on. Kind of kills the convenience of not having to take the canopy off. I plan on mounting it at the back of the frame below the tail pushrod lever thing so I can access it without taking the canopy off.
You have to remove the canopy to plug your RX pack in anyways ....
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Barrett View Post
You have to remove the canopy to plug your RX pack in anyways ....
Not if I have it my way

I've always wanted a heli I don't have to always be messing with the canopy with...I'm hoping this will be the one, we'll see though.

About to get started on the electronics and linkages and such, I'll try to get some pics up later tonight. This is my first 500 size heli and on the desk at least, the size looks awesome. I love the mini nitro look it has going on, I can't wait to get her in the air!

Keith
Old 03-08-2014, 02:11 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just need to clean up the wiring and I'll be good to go. Just....a 4 letter word haha

Keith

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in