Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System

Align 3G FBL System Align 3G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Help Out A Newbie Trying To Decipher 3G Settings

Please Help!!
I just finished building my 550 3G. I ordered the USB link and software which was delivered yesterday. While I did manage to update the operating software from version from V2 to V2.1, I have no idea what all the settings do. What should I modify from the defaults to make it fly well for a beginner? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
dmatthewb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 12:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

The red pointers in the programming represent the stock factory settings. The 3G is completely flyable at these settings.

Have you looked into the sensor mod yet? It's in a sticky thread above.

After finally dialing mine in correctly in the DIR setup, I upped the total gain compensate in ail/elev/rudd by 5, lowered the lock gain on ail/elev/rudd by 5, upped the stop gain ail/elev/rudd by 5, and raised the swashplate return speed to 70.

Every setting can be tweaked per application and heli... But the two most critical factors i've seen with the biggest effect are:
1. Set the tail sensitivity to small heli(red LED)
2. After setting up the maximum pitch ranges in dir mode(2 degrees above desired), complete the dir setup, then lower the swash mix numbers... This gives the 3g some wiggle room when providing aileron/elevator rolls.

Remember, a flybarred heli thinks in terms of cyclic pitches, the 3g thinks in terms of cyclic aileron/elevator roll rates... It is a different system... If you want more info ask away... Don't wanna talk about a lot of stuff you already know.
Philluoma is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Philluoma,

What effect did the tail "small heli" setting have for you? I am running the 3G on a 700e. I would like a little faster tail response. Would changing the size be benficial?
danyl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Philluoma,
Thanks for the tips as to the settings you changed, but I'm trying to get myself to the point where I understand what those changes mean and how they affect the heli. I've been cruising the forums trying to find detailed explanations, but to no avail. For example, why would someone want to change the tail setting to small in my situation? Also, I've read about the glue modification, but I'm not sure of what exactly it is supposed to do either.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

On my 500, and a buddies 550, we were hearing a tail wag in fff flyby's. Kind of a wa-wa-wa-wa-wa as it flew by. This was what we cured by setting the delay to the red LED setting. I caught it on film if you aren't sure what i'm talking about.
Philluoma is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Each of the setting has a description beneath it. You may need to read them over a few times to digest them, and don't skip any words.

I will try to help with some of them:

Aileron and Elevator COMPENSATION: The gain is adjusted by the pots. This NEVER changes. But, in some cases the pots must be turned really far in one direction or the other. It seems that the 3G system does better if the pots can remain close to the 12 o'clock position. I don't know why other than it would give you more latitude in either direction. If you change the COMPENSATION then the final gain will be adjusted up or down. It's like adding additional trim to a already subtrimmed servo. Look at your last screen on the 3G software which shows your POT values, then add in some compensation and look again.

STOP and LOCK gain adjustments are for FF and FSideways flight. They affect how stable the heli is during and stopping Fast Flight. If the sensitivity of the 3G system is too high, it will hold a great staright path, but will be a real mother to get in and out of maneuver. If too low it will roll and drift during FFF, but start and stop maneuver with ease.

That help?
danyl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Thanks

Yes. Thank you! What you explained did make sense. Is there anyplace that you know of that explains things in layman's terms that I could study?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The settings I tweaked was the aile and elev expo, to 0, 23 expo on tx
Elev control rate from 80 to 85, quicker elev responce
Rudder control from 70 to 80, faster piros
Swash plate return from 60 to 50, inproves fast ff performance and levels the helli out quicker when hit with sudden wind gusts.
I use green led, 0 for delay and 100 for tail servo limit 13 expo, tail is solid
The "Kind of a wa-wa-wa-wa-wa as sound" duering fast ff went away lowering the elev gain.
9deg cyclic, no dr
bad007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in