Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G JR Radios

2.4G JR Radios JR 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pulled the trigger - Made the switch to JR! Short Review inside.

Well after a lot of deliberation and thinking (1 months worth) I finally came to the decision to purchase the JR XG14 DMSS Radio. I made the switch from Spektrum as its whats I have flown since I started this hobby about 16 months ago. I had started with a DX6i and moved to a DX6 end of last summer. Overall the system did it all for me except on one occasion..

I ended up switching mainly because of my brown out that cause my G700c to eat it. My DX6 and 2x spektrum sats didn't talk for 2 seconds... That scared the hell out of me frankly not only for my wallet but also my safety. There was no other asignable cause but Spektrum after looking through all my logs and a long post here on Helifreak..

Why I chose this radio?:

I was lucky enough that my friend bought the same radio a few weeks ago so I got to get up close and personal with it, he even let me fly his G500 on it a couple times. I also stopped at a hobby shop to review the Futaba 14sg as this was the other contender. So I was able to feel the 14sg as well, just not fly it.

Pros XG14 vs Futaba 14sg
Gimbals - XG14 gimbals ARE the best I have ever felt - while the Futaba 14sg feels like my RF7 interlink controller. For $500+ radio I expect more.
Feel in my hands - XG14 fits my hands perfectly. I have average to slightly above average size hands and the controller fits so comfortably.
2x Free Receiver deal going on right now $170 value!
Hold Switch - I dont have to change it out - Futaba 14sg I do, its just a momentary switch.. didn't feel like dealing with that, nor did I want to switch what switch was my hold.
DMSS - People talk about "how connected it feels" - boy are they right.

Cons in general coming from the DX6 to the XG14

The lack of a voice alerts - the XG14 timer is OK, but I really loved voice alerts on the Spektrum unit. Its nice to know what flight mode I am in verbally, and also here a verbal countdown. I can live without this, BUT I wish the JR XG14 had voice alerts.

The X bus receivers are a little larger than the Spektrum sats, but the sat wires are MUCH longer which is great for getting good antenna placement. So its a wash..

Other than that I LOVE this radio, it took about 3-4 flights before I was "comfortable" with the feel, but after that it was nothing but bliss. I was like a giddy little kid feeling the gimbals while I flew, god they are smooth. The helis feel so locked in and I feel this radio definitely ups my confidence. I really like the slight cant on the gimbals as I found this very nice and ergonomic. Today I flew lower and harder than EVER today with this thing. That only says it all! hats off to JR - I am glad I made the switch!

I hope this short review helps others who may be on the fence as well. Dont hesitate make the switch you wont regret it.
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My DX 9 was great until a gimbal spring broke, and rf issues started happening. Both issues were fixed under warranty.
Luckily we only crashed my sons 200 srx.
I went with the XG8.

JR makes fantastic helis and electronics.
My first nitro was JR Vibe 50.
Scorpion Motors
justinspicer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well you summed it up nicely. JR XG14 great gimbals. Futaba 14SG voice alerts/telemetry. The modeler gets to pick which he wants more. I have the XG14E and these are the best sticks that I have ever had. That includes Proline Competition for old guys. The 712 RX (two free + one) require no satellites and are thus the equivalent of the Futaba 7008.
Four Stroker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in