Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

This one might be a viable option as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/D9g-C4260-KV...-/360890917419
Should help to be able to run larger (20T) pinion with this motor.
Protos Carbon Stretch, MSH Scorpion, YGE, Ikon
deebee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015, 09:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm running the Scorpion HK-3226-900, tons of punch, good battery life, runs cool. frame mod is no big deal, just a little dremel work.
Dowquest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 07:24 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebee View Post
I´m always a bit sceptical with airplane motors. I think the radial load in our application is much bigger, so bearings in these airplane motors could be too weak.

Wattage should be in the right ballpark if you just go by max VxA (1,5kW), but the dimensions are a bit bigger than stock (5mm more in dia, 12mm longer overall).
Old 02-26-2015, 12:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
For similar motor, I think this one will be better. Cheaper, better cooling, over-size bearing (looks almost as big as the Scorpion 3026-880's). However, the size and weight is still a bit too much (same as the one you posted) but then I'm sure the torque and heat tolerance should be better than the stock motor if you're after them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141165805805...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I think the 3226-900 is still the best fit. The only thing I don't like it is the price although you pay for quality. I'll just keep flying the stock motor until it dies especially my steel pinion works good for me. I bought the replacement bearings long time ago but the front bearing is still good so I haven't bothered to change them.
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 05:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

The whole pinion thing is the reason I was looking at lower KV motors that could run a larger longer lasting pinion and sstill keep the OWB. If I had the tools patience and skill I would whip up a 14 or 15t steel pinion.
Protos Carbon Stretch, MSH Scorpion, YGE, Ikon
deebee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2015, 03:57 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The whole pinion thing is the reason I was looking at lower KV motors that could run a larger longer lasting pinion and sstill keep the OWB. If I had the tools patience and skill I would whip up a 14 or 15t steel pinion.
I hear ya, with my flying style I could use a lower kV motor, although the YGE esc can stand lower throttle curves than escs without "active freewheeling", so I´m not sure I´d gain much by going with a lower kV motor or one tooth less on the pinion.

Another solution could be a rewind, dropping the kV and thus keeping the bigger OWB of the 15T+ pinions. I´ve found this thread on a German forum, interesting read (Thread starter "Torro" is also here on HF):

http://goo.gl/Bbl9DQ
Old 03-01-2015, 03:36 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

How about some G380 motors with insane power and KV almost the same? I see they recommend 70A ESC, which is far bigger than our stock 60A ESC.
ddhuans is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

G380 is smaller than Protos. Recommended motors for G380 for anything less than insane power will be too small for the Protos. OTOH, Insane motors for the G380 will most likely be more expensive than the Scorpion 3226-900 and no more than 10 poles which a lower kV motor for the Protos will need. I had done quite some searching for a bigger motor at lower kV for the Protos before. You would need at least 12-pole to keep the torque up from the lost RPM and that means you would be running a motor quite a bit heavier than stock so in the end I went the other route and just fabricated my own steel pinion and double-idler mods and forget about running bigger pinion.

EDIT: Funny you mention G380... A friend showed me this YT clip of someone flying Protos motor with 10S on the G380.
Need for Speed with Goblin 380 (7 min 35 sec)
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCH View Post
I had done quite some searching for a bigger motor at lower kV for the Protos before. You would need at least 12-pole to keep the torque up from the lost RPM...
Interesting. In the above rewind thread they prefer a 12N14P variant of the 3026 Scorp to lower the kV/ get more torque. Stock MSH/Scorpion is a 12N10P. I´m not that deep into motor design, but it goes in line with what you said.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone successfully mounted a Kontronik 600-1100 motor in the protos. I have one of these motors and want to get into a Protos, any idea if I can make this motor work with 6s, and which pinion will be best? Thanks.
datatools is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Small chance of it working. 1100kv is too high. You will need a 12T pinion with the 12T-14T pinion adapter. But you will need to keep the head speed rather high between 2750 and 2950 rpms. Not to mention that the motor is a bit too heavy for the Protos and will mess up the heli's cg. I recall the motor was about 220g.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:30 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like the best option is to buy the kit that comes with motor and esc. Thanks.
datatools is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in