Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #561 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoore View Post
I just tested a new RX700 that was laying on the hood of my truck and I got 65 paces away before there was any issue at all. There's something wrong with either the RX or TX module. Put both of them in a box and ship them back to ATX and get them to do the TX module update.

The new TX's don't have a telescoping antenna unless you remove the screw in the TX housing.

TM
Wow, 65paces. Only if i got half of that. I will defintely box it up and send it in for the module update. Hopefuly it will cure the problems. I didn't remove any screws from the tx. Just open the 4 screws on the back of the tx to soften the ratchet as i'm flying helis only. Thanks for all the help, Terry.
bsr100 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #562 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Make sure the TX antenna is pointing straight up or straight down on the TX too when you do the range test and when you fly it.

TM
Good news on range check problem - I pulled the rx700 out of the heli, did a final range check with the bareboned rx, this time with my tx antenna 90 degree to the right side, I got 75 paces and the light is still in. With full power i think i will defnitely lose sight of my bird before the signal goes out. .... this is indeed awesome!!!Put it back to my heli, quick test on low power and I got 45paces and still have full control of the heli. Test flown it today, I could not be happier. Now it's time to dump ALL my spektrum and jr gears for FH3 receivers..... Thanks for all the tips, Terry. I'm so glad i don't have to send it in.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:19 AM   #563 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent, I'm glad you got it sorted out. I know it will work well for you and the good thing is that you won't have to douche the tail belt down with KY to deal with static.

TM
TMoore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 03:56 AM   #564 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Excellent, I'm glad you got it sorted out. I know it will work well for you and the good thing is that you won't have to douche the tail belt down with KY to deal with static.

TM
Very true! This is a nice bonus when jumping off the spektrum/jr bandwagon
Old 08-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #565 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:

TM
Or vagisil

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #566 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Or vagisil

Bob
Too true!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #567 (permalink)
Registered Users

bob you are more of a help than you realize. Thanks -Did you do the heli setup with the airtronics sd-10 if so please post link
cvcarl149 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #568 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcarl149 View Post
bob you are more of a help than you realize. Thanks -Did you do the heli setup with the airtronics sd-10 if so please post link
I used this radio for 3 heli builds so far. Of course each section of the build shows using the radio like head setup or tail, etc so you will have to watch those sections.

Pantera
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=151507

Velocity 50
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=178236

Fury 55
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=215358

Bpob
Old 08-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #569 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

TM
Good to see more people have noticed the direct connection between using JR/Spektrum radios/receivers and static issues.
PHeMoX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #570 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just got this radio and have only flown twice on it, but it is not hard to get used to or to like. Tons of potential for a great price!
Thanks, Bob, for the vids, I watched some of them so I would know a bit before I started actually programming mine.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #571 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Your welcome Caleb! I think you will really like this radio.

Bob
Old 03-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #572 (permalink)
The man behind CHC

ok bob back to watch waht i dont remeber lol
tony whiteside is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #573 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default problem with inverting pitch (rave 450, sd 10g)

Hi, maybe can someone help me, i setting up my Rave 450 for my second flight.
But i've got a problem, i dont know if this is normal:

My SD 10G is in mode 2, cyclic control as shown in the video is right, but the pitch is wrong, if i reverse the swash servos, to pitch working how it should (left stick up, pitch up),
then are the cyclic controls reverse (right stick up swash goes back).
I solved the problem by inverting the pitch curve (point 1 100%, and point 9 -100%),
standard setting (point 1 -100% and point 9 100%).
Is this the only way to solve the problem, are there any other options?
pls and thx for help
and here the video:
Rave 450, SD 10G, Problem with inverting pitch (1 min 5 sec)
YooR3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #574 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is no reason to reverse the points in the Pitch curve. Simply plug the servos into the correct ports as shown on the graphic setup menu when you selected the Swash type and set the channel reversing correctly and everything will work. You may also change the PI settings in the surface menu in the SWH menu.

TM
Old 06-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #575 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Still a thumbs up?

So as a sailplane pilot who bought the SD-10G for its sailplane expertise, who now aspires to learn to fly helis, Finless: are you still high on the ATX radio? Or has BNF made Spektrum a wise choice?

What's my goal? Well to fly Heli's. But I have an SD10G. However if there is no one else in the area (southbay area of L.A, county) flying the ATX radio, maybe I should sell and get what they use. .????

Advice to newbies says, get what people around you have. True nuff. But are you, finless bob, still high on the SD10G?

PS: I need a mentor in the LA Southbay area if you are out there.
"Science, more than any other human adventure, delivers the goods."
gdjsky01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #576 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Advice to newbies says, get what people around you have." is probably the dumbest advice of all time in this hobby. I give folks more credit for being smarter than most and IMHO, trying new things is the best way to learn. If you're buddy is a dumbass and you follow what he's doing does that make you smarter or dumber? There are plenty of pilots flying this or that brand of radio at my local plank field and 99% of them don't fly all that well so should you buy what they are flying?

There are plenty of SD-10G pilots in the LA Area. The radio will do whatever you need to do with a heli.

TM
Old 06-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #577 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Did not mean to diss the SD-10G!

Quote:
"Advice to newbies says, get what people around you have." is probably the dumbest advice of all time in this hobby. I give folks more credit for being smarter than most and IMHO, trying new things is the best way to learn.

<snip>
I hope I did not insult anyone! That certainly was not my intent. The advice I've read is here and elsewhere. I believe what they are referring to is not which radio is better. But if you need help with your setup, it helps if you have a radio many others around you have as far as their ability to give said help.

I certainly did not mean to imply popularity makes it better. That is a logical fallacy I find in many aspects of modern life!

Quote:
There are plenty of SD-10G pilots in the LA Area. The radio will do whatever you need to do with a heli.
TM

Thanks! I was really not questioning the radio's ability! I was asking Finless (and anyone else)
  1. Are they still as high on the SD-10G as they were two years ago? After all a lot has come to market since, the DX-7 and DX-8 as well as a few Futaba radios.
  2. For a guy with zero heli build/setup experience, is there an advantage to looking at what people around you have for assistance? Not quality.

I did not mean to diss the radio!

Best wishes!
Jeff

Last edited by gdjsky01; 06-16-2012 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 06-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #578 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm high on it, Jeff. Finless is more out of the heli scene right now i think. Certainly if you have used it with other models, do not get another radio!! What you'll have to do is just read, study, ask questions, and like you said, find someone to help with heli stuff. Same radio as them... not really an issue. All the programming for helis will be about the same as other radios. You'll do alright!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #579 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default So is there any reason NOT to buy this radio...

Hey there Guys,

I've been flying Heli's since 1987 and have had Futaba, HiTech, Spektrum and even an Airtronics Vangaurd radio...

I stepped away from the hobby in 2009 and was loving my DX7 at that point in time.
I'm now getting back into A/V flying and will be using a multi-rotor as my platform.

I need to re-tool everything from the ground up. In looking at many post it seems that the popular radios for the A/V Multi crowd are the Futaba 8FG and the Spektrum DX8 and then the JR X11...

I need to control the Hex, camera gimbal and camera shutter as well as the different flight modes. After reading about this radio and watching Finless' videos/reviews I can't seem to find any reasons not to pick up this radio....other than the old "Ford/Chevy" BS...

Help me out, why isn't this radio more popular? and are there any legit reasons to get something else??

Thanks for the help!

Peace,
Anthony
Art-Tistic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #580 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are those that would say that the reason is simple, Global Hobbies does not market it aggressively. Or they can't (afford to?). Otherwise people would see it for what it is, a steal even at it's 'normal' pricing.

Perhaps as well, air/heli may be a poor sideline to the surface market where Airtronics is highly competitive (ironic if true considering the name).

And of course, I would guess that R/C is a really small sideline to SANWA. Probably a torch carried by a small group in the company (tho I have ZERO first hand knowledge of that... pure conjecture on my part).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in