Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HELICOPTER ELECTRONICS HELP

i have a t-rex 600N dfc. anyway i'm at the point now i need to buy the electronics.
i know i need a radio system,servo,flybarless gyro. i do have the align 3 in 1 voltage regulator. what else do i need????? i'm not sure if i need a bec or other electronics via facebook,helicopter forums? i'm not used to the new helicopter radio systems? so i'm not sure how all this works?? can someone help me figure all this out?

thanks
jmerritt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

the 3 in 1 voltage regulator is your BEC right there... it allows you to connect a Lipo as power source and drop it down to 5/6V... I would buy a 2cell Life4PO pack if I were you as its already at round 6.6V at load which is fine for all digital servos and receivers of modern age... a governor is a nice one to have as well, as it will keep your head rpm's steady and constant... also you will need a pitch gauge for blade pitch... and an on/off switch is helpful too which you connect between the battery to switch on heli electronics without taking off the canopy all the time to connect battery...
G770T + DS650
Switch_639 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2015, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch_639 View Post
the 3 in 1 voltage regulator is your BEC right there... it allows you to connect a Lipo as power source and drop it down to 5/6V... I would buy a 2cell Life4PO pack if I were you as its already at round 6.6V at load which is fine for all digital servos and receivers of modern age... a governor is a nice one to have as well, as it will keep your head rpm's steady and constant... also you will need a pitch gauge for blade pitch...
ah so the governor on are rc helicopters works just like on the full size helicopters do.
glad you mentioned the governor because i was thinking of putting one on mine.
so a bec is basically a voltage regulator then? i was thinking of going with a futaba helicopter radio system since thats what i grew up with. for gyro i was thinking beastx
not sure which brand battery to go with yet? still thinking about that one still.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You have a Trex 600N DFC with no electronics?
How did that happen?

The FBL basically takes over 90% of what used to be in the transmitter.
The transmitter becomes (basically) a box with sticks on it.
Most of fanciness that used to happen on the transmitter is now done in the FBL instead.
All the servo set up is done in the flybarless controller.

I wouldn't try to mess around with Facebook for help. The forums are better and you get answers quicker.

The Futaba is fine. I prefer the Spektrum
If you like the BeastX, then look at the Spektrum AR7300BX - it is full Spektrum receiver with a BeastX built in. And, it has a governor built in also.

I would look at the Spektrum DX8 or DX9 for a transmitter.
The AR7300BX and a Spektrum transmitter are a good match.

The new "must have" feature is telemetry. You can downlink from the heli to the radio and set alarms, logs and so on. You can get this downlink using a Spektrum TM1000. The AR7300BX has a dataport that plugs into the TM1000 for seemless receiver stats.

The DX8 and DX9 have telemetry, but the DX9 has a voice.

If you have the Align 2 in 1, that will work. I don't use them.
Use the Align servos - the DS-610 or DS-615 are great swash servos. The DS-650 or DS-655 are great tailrotor servos. Use a DS-610 for throttle.

Good luck
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2015, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
You have a Trex 600N DFC with no electronics?
How did that happen?

The FBL basically takes over 90% of what used to be in the transmitter.
The transmitter becomes (basically) a box with sticks on it.
Most of fanciness that used to happen on the transmitter is now done in the FBL instead.
All the servo set up is done in the flybarless controller.

I wouldn't try to mess around with Facebook for help. The forums are better and you get answers quicker.

If you like the BeastX, then look at the Spektrum AR7300BX - it is full Spektrum receiver with a BeastX built in. And, it has a governor built in also.

I would look at the Spektrum DX8 or DX9 for a transmitter.
The AR7300BX and a Spektrum transmitter are a good match.

The new "must have" feature is telemetry. You can downlink from the heli to the radio and set alarms, logs and so on. You can get this downlink using a Spektrum TM1000. The AR7300BX has a dataport that plugs into the TM1000 for seemless receiver stats.

The DX8 and DX9 have telemetry, but the DX9 has a voice.

If you have the Align 2 in 1, that will work. I don't use them.
Use the Align servos - the DS-610 or DS-615 are great swash servos. The DS-650 or DS-655 are great tailrotor servos. Use a DS-610 for throttle.

Good luck
basicly i bought this off ebay wrecked! what i basically got was box of parts. it no longer looks like a wreck anymore lol. new frames,new bearings,main gear,shafts and such. seller thought this was a throw away!

anyway thanks for the info. it helps a lot trying to figure out all this new tech far as how it all works. i know how to do airframe and some engine work. but when it comes to the electronics is where i have to ask for help at times.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

PM me, I have a multigov for cheap, Recommend!!
Old 01-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine has align 615/655 servos, fullsize vbar wich has built in gov, gryphon remote glow, 3000mah life and an electronic switch. Spektrum dx18 with 2 satellites directly in the vbar. Works great!
Trex 700N, TT 1.00RL, Vbar
RunarSL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2015, 11:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post

great option
G770T + DS650
Old 01-15-2015, 12:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you use the Align 3 in 1 DO NOT USE LIFEPO . You must use a 2 cell lipo or you will not get a proper voltage reading on the unit display.

most FBL units have a built in governor < skookum, msh brain, ikon, full size Vbar

what you will need is the Spektrum backplate sensor for the governor.

if you want to use a life pack you don't need a regulator plug it in direct.
check your tail servo operating voltage if it says 4.8 volts only and not 6 volts then you need a step down regulator for that servo only.

my set up uses the 3in1 regulator, 2s5000 hard case lipo, Skookum 540 with backplate sensor, 6 volt tail servo bk model. 610 servo's on cyclic and 620 on the engine.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladefx View Post
If you use the Align 3 in 1 DO NOT USE LIFEPO . You must use a 2 cell lipo or you will not get a proper voltage reading on the unit display.

most FBL units have a built in governor < skookum, msh brain, ikon, full size Vbar

what you will need is the Spektrum backplate sensor for the governor.

if you want to use a life pack you don't need a regulator plug it in direct.
check your tail servo operating voltage if it says 4.8 volts only and not 6 volts then you need a step down regulator for that servo only.

my set up uses the 3in1 regulator, 2s5000 hard case lipo, Skookum 540 with backplate sensor, 6 volt tail servo bk model. 610 servo's on cyclic and 620 on the engine.

ok another dumb question. what is a step down regulator?
Old 01-15-2015, 01:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

what is a hardcase far as batteries? also i hear people on the forums talking about hooking 2 batterys up? how is that done? sorry for all the dumb questions i'm new to all this new radio system tech. when i first started none of this new tech was not available at that time.
was just a nicad battery,receiver and a 1 axis gyro. so now i have to relearn how to setup a helicopter all over again lol.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pick up the multigov from Dan above, works great. Like above stated you'll need a 2s lipo to power the electronics. I'm using a 2s 3300 Gens Ace.

Don't worry about hooking up 2 batterys, its not needed.

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2015, 01:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

a step down regulator drops the voltage from 6v to 4,.8 volts for servos that run on 4.8 only. again check your servo specs to see if you need one.

Hard case lipo's are used for rc cars so in case you bump into something there is a measure of protection. In your case if you should nose plant into the ground you have less chance of the lipo bursting into flames.

you can use 2 rx packs of the same voltage and run them parallel to double up your mah and if 1 should fail you still have the voltage to land safely.

I would prefer a 2s2p lipo if I could find one that way if you lose a cell your voltage remains the same and only lose the mah.

the problem with the above happens if your already half discharged and just started a new 10 minute flight then your battery would die if you lost 1

there are also back up guards
http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo..._Backup_Guard/

but if doing your preflight inspection as you should a single 2S or lifepo is good enough
1 last thing you can still use 5 cell nicads or nimhs 2000 mah or better
Old 01-15-2015, 01:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

i'm not scared at learning the new radio electronics tech. but i am little intimidated with some of it. mainly because i'm not sure how all of it hooks up or how its suppose to work????
Old 01-15-2015, 01:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes it is intimidating. I would try to find someone local to help. If not there are some great videos done by finless in the tech forum.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFlyer12 View Post
Yes it is intimidating. I would try to find someone local to help. If not there are some great videos done by finless in the tech forum.

just discovered a flying field down the road from me last year. most the guys there fly airplanes. was one guys there that had some helicopters. i'm not a member there yet though. thought i would wait till i had a flying helicopter before i joined ama and joined the club.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

i been looking online on the different components mentioned on this thread. starting to understand them a little bit and what they do. looked up bec,step down regulators,different batteries and the 2s,2s2p's. batteries still little fuzzy but now i understand them some what. but i still don't understand how you can hook up 2 rx batteries to the receiver?? or how thats done??

thanks for the help and helping me understand the new radio tech.
you guys been very helpful.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

you use a Y harness if you really want to use 2 rx packs.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerritt View Post

but i still don't understand how you can hook up 2 rx batteries to the receiver?? or how thats done??
there's no need to do so... in all my years never has a battery failed on me... its just doubling up if one battery fails you have the other one...

its simply just redundancy... don't break your head over this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladefx View Post
you use a Y harness if you really want to use 2 rx packs.
this will double the voltage? why would one want that? just a question... I would rather use parallel connections...
G770T + DS650
Old 01-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

sorry for the confusion
I should have said. like a servo y harness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in