Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Nitro Helicopters > 700 Electric Conversions

700 Electric Conversions Align T-REX 700 Electric Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice Guy View Post
No problem 'm glad I could help. I personally would go with the 720 blades with that set up. It would be hard to get the head speed low enough for the 800 blades with the 470 KV. I'm currently running a 450 KV motor with the 11 tooth slant pinion and am running 1750-1880 on the head. I would want to drop everything by about 200 RPM with the 800s and would really need something like a 400KV to do that without going too low on the governor. BTW Castle software is often off a little bit. I use an optical tach and high gov mode and adjust head speed with the transmitter. Also when running the low head speeds you will want to run 115 tails. With the 105s the tail was a little weak.

As far as the ESC the HW should work fine. Doubly so with V-bar or Skookum governor. I have not heard good things about the HWs governor but it's not unuseable. I know you have reservations but I have been running a CC Phoenix HV 85 on my heli for years now with no issues. It doesn't even get warm with my setup even if I purposely beat on it. The guy I bought my heli from used it with a 4035-560 scorp running 2360 on the head flying HARD 3D and it survived that just fine. This low speed setup will not be pulling crazy amps so the 85 will be fine. Good luck and let me know if I can help with anything else.
Thanks Mr. Nice Guy. I have never used Gov yet, so that will be a new experience for me. OK, will go with the 720s as you suggest. Would 700's work ok with my style of flying? I already have some KBDD 105 tail blades, so will work with them first, and then look at getting some 115's if I need them. And you have talked me into using my 85HV...experience talks. The only thing I don't like about my 85HV esc, is that I can't see the head speed on it using the CC software. Not a big deal, as I have read so much about the older CC HV's generally not having the same 'flame on' issues that the newer generations do.

Next question: So, I have a bunch of 4s 4000 40c batteries (combine them to make 8s for my 600). Could I combine these with the same setup, just in 2s to make a 6s battery? I believe I can, as I have read that as long as they are the same MAH and C rating, there shouldn't be a problem. Can you give me any advice on this? Sure would beat buying 6 new 6s batteries. Thanks again.

Last edited by sjgusmc21; 01-14-2012 at 08:35 AM..
sjgusmc21 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgusmc21 View Post
Thanks Mr. Nice Guy. I have never used Gov yet, so that will be a new experience for me. OK, will go with the 720s as you suggest. Would 700's work ok with my style of flying? I already have some KBDD 105 tail blades, so will work with them first, and then look at getting some 115's if I need them. And you have talked me into using my 85HV...experience talks. The only thing I don't like about my 85HV esc, is that I can't see the head speed on it using the CC software. Not a big deal, as I have read so much about the older CC HV's generally not having the same 'flame on' issues that the newer generations do.

Next question: So, I have a bunch of 4s 4000 40c batteries (combine them to make 8s for my 600). Could I combine these with the same setup, just in 2s to make a 6s battery? I believe I can, as I have read that as long as they are the same MAH and C rating, there shouldn't be a problem. Can you give me any advice on this? Sure would beat buying 6 new 6s batteries. Thanks again.
700s will be fine. I have run 690s and they work alright as well but I really like 710s the best. They will be more efficient especially with a lower head speed. I am running edge 713s and really like the way they fly. It flew alright on 690s though.

As far as the batteries go you can add a 2s to a 4s in series to make a 6s. Since you already have 4s packs if you can make them fit you could run 3 of those in series to make 12s. Don't know if you can make it fit or not though. You want to try to keep the packs very similar. It's not good to run a new pack with an old worn out one for instance.
Mr Nice Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
700s will be fine. I have run 690s and they work alright as well but I really like 710s the best. They will be more efficient especially with a lower head speed. I am running edge 713s and really like the way they fly. It flew alright on 690s though.

As far as the batteries go you can add a 2s to a 4s in series to make a 6s. Since you already have 4s packs if you can make them fit you could run 3 of those in series to make 12s. Don't know if you can make it fit or not though. You want to try to keep the packs very similar. It's not good to run a new pack with an old worn out one for instance.
Thanks for the fast reply! My batteries only have 6 flights on them and have not been abused. That is great, and now I can double dip on the batteries I already have. As for the blades, thanks again for your advice and will be looking at some of the 700's. Ordered the 470KV MX so looking forward to it coming in. This thing sure is tail heavy. Hoping the electronics and batteries equal everything out.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't worry it will balance out fine when you get the batteries and motor in there.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Don't worry it will balance out fine when you get the batteries and motor in there.
As usual, you are correct, it did balance out very well. As we discussed in our PM's...kind of run aground now waiting on Castle to tell me what is wrong with my esc. In the meantime, is there anything else I can do to the Heli to get it ready? I just found out about the OWB issue. I have only 'breifly' spun the motor up twice. When I was done, noticed that my mains would spin backwards with just a little bit of force behind them. Well, that was strange. So started looking for issues with the 700 OWB....sure enough, mine had slipped. Read up on the thread and took it apart last night. Going to do the JB Weld and set screw fix. So, is there any other known issues I should be looking at?
Old 01-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like you have everything done that you can do really. As far as the OWB I personally would use green retaining locktite (not green thread locker). It is better suited for this purpose. Although if people have heen using jb weld I guess that will work. If it were me though I'd use the green stuff and not use screws since that stuff is nearly impossible to break loose without using heat. Its up to you though. Both ways seem to work well.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hope all are doing well. Still haven't maiden my heli yet. CC 85 HV at Castle and haven't received my HK 120HV CC as of yet. Do have a couple of questions though:

Slop: With power applied, I get some slop movement in my main blades. Is this normal for a bird this size? At first I thought it was my Hyperion Servo's. But after replacing the 'sacrificial' gear, it is not. Then I thought that it was my linkages, it is not. So, with that said, is a little movement in the main blades acceptable?

BEC or Not: I have to admit I am a little more the miffed right now with CC. I also ruined my Hyperion 2100 LIFE receiver battery the other night (my fault completely). So I have ordered some HK 2100 6.6 replacement LIFE batteries. I have a AR7100, so in reality, I don't need a BEC. What is your opinion? BEC or not?

Will post some pics soon. Nothing special, just another 700N to E conversion. Been tossing up the thought of ditching my Helidirect CF bottom plate and home made battery tray for the KDE Aluminum bottom plate. The front and rear frame mounts (the ridges on top) although small, really do eat up some valuable space.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hope all are doing well. Still haven't maiden my heli yet. CC 85 HV at Castle and haven't received my HK 120HV CC as of yet. Do have a couple of questions though:

Slop: With power applied, I get some slop movement in my main blades. Is this normal for a bird this size? At first I thought it was my Hyperion Servo's. But after replacing the 'sacrificial' gear, it is not. Then I thought that it was my linkages, it is not. So, with that said, is a little movement in the main blades acceptable?

BEC or Not: I have to admit I am a little more the miffed right now with CC. I also ruined my Hyperion 2100 LIFE receiver battery the other night (my fault completely). So I have ordered some HK 2100 6.6 replacement LIFE batteries. I have a AR7100, so in reality, I don't need a BEC. What is your opinion? BEC or not?

Will post some pics soon. Nothing special, just another 700N to E conversion. Been tossing up the thought of ditching my Helidirect CF bottom plate and home made battery tray for the KDE Aluminum bottom plate. The front and rear frame mounts (the ridges on top) although small, really do eat up some valuable space.
That's a bummer that your esc has not arrived yet. I wouldn't worry about a little slop in the servos. My 8717s have some slop in them but it doesn't effect flight. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. I can't remember if you are flybarless or not. If you aren't check and make sure you don't have any sloppy head parts. If you are running a life pack with an ar7100 there is no need for a BEC. I would only use one if I needed to step down the voltage for the servos or if I ran it off of the main packs. It's just extra weight and an extra point of failure. Good luck
Old 02-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That's a bummer that your esc has not arrived yet. I wouldn't worry about a little slop in the servos. My 8717s have some slop in them but it doesn't effect flight. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. I can't remember if you are flybarless or not. If you aren't check and make sure you don't have any sloppy head parts. If you are running a life pack with an ar7100 there is no need for a BEC. I would only use one if I needed to step down the voltage for the servos or if I ran it off of the main packs. It's just extra weight and an extra point of failure. Good luck
Mr. Nice Guy, IF I am ever in Florida, dinner on me! THANK YOU for all of your help. My head is flybarred. Don't see any slop in my assembly, everything is new, but going to check my swash. Yeah, don't think I need a bec....as if the Receiver craps out, I am toast anyway. Don't expect my CC back for at least 5-7 weeks, and it will probably go up for sale at that point. Thank you again!
Old 02-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

So since I am playing the 'waiting' game, anyone using different landing gear/struts on the 700? I put some Maverick Tuf-Struts I on it, and three things: Freak'n huge (which I am OK with), HEAVY, which I am not OK with, and lastly, I thought they would keep my rear from sagging...they did not. This is probably due to the 800 tail being longer, but still, not really wanting to go to aluminum, but if I have to, guess I will. Was thinking about the N9 gear, but again, I am concerning about the rear struts sagging a little. Any suggestions?
Old 02-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Mr. Nice Guy, IF I am ever in Florida, dinner on me! THANK YOU for all of your help. My head is flybarred. Don't see any slop in my assembly, everything is new, but going to check my swash. Yeah, don't think I need a bec....as if the Receiver craps out, I am toast anyway. Don't expect my CC back for at least 5-7 weeks, and it will probably go up for sale at that point. Thank you again!
Glad I can help. If you are looking for strong light gear I have seen some carbon ones that would fit that bill. I used a set on my Logo 10 and really liked them. Here's a link: http://www.rremodels.com/carbon700skids.aspx
Old 02-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for the link. When they come back in stock, will order a pair.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

I finally got this beast into the air. I can't believe how stable this heli is. Wow. I am using two 4000 6s 40c batteries and fly for a little over 5 minutes (just test hovering, ff, etc.) and only used about 50% of the batteries! Looking forward to the 5000 mahs! Ordered some F3C paddles, and can't wait to see how much more stable she is. I just finished converting my 600 E into a AP platform (quite fun and quite the challenge) and put a HC3X on it (first FBL unit...LOTS OF HEAD SCRATCHING GOING ON). Was going to put one on the 700 but not for sure now. The only issue I have is a tail wag. Other then it being my GP780, I can't figure out what it can be. Did everything I know how to do, so ordered a GY520 for it. Will see how it goes from there. Once it is stable, I will start converting it to a AP Platform as well, however this one is going to have a homemade 3 axis camera mount on it, unlike the 600 which is only 2 axis. Thank you all for your help. I will say that the Turnigy 120HV Esc is thus far, pretty darn good. Again, only had two sessions with it, but it came down barely even warm. If you have one, make sure you spin the blades first and tighten them down a little before you give it some power. EveN the 'very soft' setting's leave a lot to be desired. Safe flying and again, thank you all for helping me get this bird in the air. Will post some pic's soon. Take care.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

You may have to move the ball on the rudder servo arm in a hole if you can't get the gain low enough to get rid of the wag and still hold the tail. If it is out too far your "mechanical gain" will be too high.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the info. Tomorrow I will find out. Received the F3C paddles yesterday and hopefully the GY520 today as well. Will post more tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Put the GY520 on last night, made sure the linkages were smooth, and BAM! Spot on! Again, can't believe how stable this bird is. Thanks again for the help. Guess the GP780 doesn't like my bird!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in