Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New to 700 whoas

Hey guys,

Just took my new to me Chaos 700 up yesterday and I wasn't terribly happy. Had a 13t pinion and according to Mr mel's to get me to around 2k rpm's it's a 65% curve with a yge running gov store. Head speed sounded too low, don't have a tach so I can't confirm. I found some old threads saying 2k is where you want to be for 3d. I'm swinging edge 714's on an align FL head (non dfc).

I also suspected maybe my Turnigy SK3 Helidrive 530kv comp motor is under powered for this bird but I did manage to get it to make a terrible clunk noise when pitch pumping it and managed to chip the main gear. I also get a little nose left kick when pumping. I'm running a vbar and never had to mess with pitch precomp on any of my other birds so I suspect it's bog or just too low of head speed.

I did order up the Align CNC slant thread main gear with the 13t slant pinion.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pardon any spelling or grammar errors, I'm on my cell phone.
jbaum81 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check the ESC settings first. The esc should have a setup chart for your motor specs. Check motor specs to make sure all is set right. Wrong setting can cause chattering and vibes upon recovery. Also make sure gears mesh tight. Slant gears are better. 13 t pinion seems reserved for bigger higher torque motors. If your motor isn't running at around80% capacity then it will bog at lower rpms in an attempt to recover. It's kinda like trying to get from 35 to 60 mph in 5th gear in a car. It bogs. It would help if u knew your gear ration to determinine your motor speed when running 2000 rpm head speed. U take your main gear tooth count and divide it by pinion tooth count and that number is your gear ratio. Ull move the decimal one number towards the front and multiply that by your rpm headspeed and that's your motor rpm. EXAMPLE:

(Main gear) 112 / 12 (pinion) = 9.33333. Move decimal so it's .933333. Now 2000 rpms x .93333 = 1866.666 rpms (actual motor speed)

Look at your motor specs and see what optimal speeds are and adjust pinion from there. Smaller opinions will give lower headspeed with increased motor rpms to eliminate motor bogging in lower headspeed. 2000 rpms sounds good but if your pinion is too large then your motor isn't sustaining enough momentum rpms to efficiently recover headspeeds and not strain the motor.
Inkslinginmofo77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2014, 01:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Motor specs in that case can be misleading or not available we talk SK3 cheap motor. Before you start to push it hard check temperatures at lower load. Just decrease RPM. You can fry this motor if pushed to hard. Anyway it has 3.8kW so it can handle 700. It does power my two different 700s.

I would start with turning on freewheel for low throttle curve.
I would start with gov turned off. Gov can cause strange tail issues in some setups.
I would start with lower RPM first.
I would check pinion mesh twice.

For me 12T pinion and 112T work fine but if you can put bigger main gear and smaller pinion you could increase throttle and motor would be more efficient.

Do you have motor mount fixed or with regulation like KDE upgrade?

I would get Align slant mod 1.0 main gear. It works well in 800 helis.

For hard flying $48 TGY 700 530kV motor seems better because it is heavier, has better bearings and does not get as hot as SK3 700.

If you prefer SK3 I would get 480kV and increase throttle "curve".

Plastic Align main gear is pretty tough. I heard few times about Align pinion loosing teeth. It just happened to my friend Benji flying Assault 800 last week. It is quite rare though.
utrinque is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2014, 01:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Double post I am sorry.
utrinque is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2014, 02:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Was stock 115 w/ 13t pinion (8.85). Trained gov store @ 3.8 (storage) and had a 65 throttle curve. I'm certain it was bogging and the motor shredded the main gear. I'm beginning to wonder if the ESC was even properly governing at such a low rate.

I just ordered the align slant thread cnc main gear (H80G002XXW) and the 13t pinion (H60225). That gives me a drive ratio of 8.46 So I'm in worse shape now and I know these things

I think I was just unsure of myself because of the motor being a little iffy and the whole new to 700. I was so clouded with nerves, but I guess it just comes down to the same rules with smaller heli's..

Anyways thanks guys, gave me a little confidence boost, and I'm happy to hear my motor should be good. I guess I need to get the KDE motor mount and source an 11t pinion. Anyone know what mod the H80G002XXW gear is, and a good 11t pinion to pair up with it?
Old 09-09-2014, 02:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

HMM, if I run the 11t (H55071) is it possible to strip the main gear with that small? or should I get a 12 and get a lower kv motor?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in