Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Century

Century Century Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Home made flybar lock

This is a home made flybar lock for a Predator. It is easy to make, just take a flat piece of carbon/aluminum about 120mm long and drill a hole in the center. then drill two holes 50mm from the center. I used the 3mm threaded rods from a MA tail contol rod and double nutted it to the flat piece. Then I cut the ball link so it snaps on the flybar and thread it on the 3mm all thread rods. The reason I used the double nut/all thread method is because you are limited to half turns with just the ball link, and I wanted to be able to adjust it so the ball links were EXACTLY the same length from the flat plate, some times it is not always possible with just the haff turn that the ball link gives you. This is important because if you are off a little close to the head, it will be way off out by the paddle. After you get it adjusted, cut the excess threaded rod off and you are done. The really cool thing is that the flybar is still allowed to turn(twist). This helps during set-up. The only drawback is you have to remove the head button to install the flybar lock, but the benifit is you would almost have to be blind to forget to remove it before flight. This has happened more than once, belive me. This may also work on other helis that use a bolt on head button and have a flat surface to mount on.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00693.jpg (1.48 MB, 3617 views)
File Type: jpg dsc00691.jpg (1.66 MB, 2932 views)
File Type: jpg dsc00689.jpg (1.74 MB, 2851 views)
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Dude,

That's pretty slick
Foxden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Clyde.

Mike
Old 11-15-2006, 06:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Home made flybar lock

Thanks for sharing your brillient idea with us . i was looking for something like this .

great work

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DME
This is a home made flybar lock for a Predator. It is easy to make, just take a flat piece of carbon/aluminum about 120mm long and drill a hole in the center. then drill two holes 50mm from the center. I used the 3mm threaded rods from a MA tail contol rod and double nutted it to the flat piece. Then I cut the ball link so it snaps on the flybar and thread it on the 3mm all thread rods. The reason I used the double nut/all thread method is because you are limited to half turns with just the ball link, and I wanted to be able to adjust it so the ball links were EXACTLY the same length from the flat plate, some times it is not always possible with just the haff turn that the ball link gives you. This is important because if you are off a little close to the head, it will be way off out by the paddle. After you get it adjusted, cut the excess threaded rod off and you are done. The really cool thing is that the flybar is still allowed to turn(twist). This helps during set-up. The only drawback is you have to remove the head button to install the flybar lock, but the benifit is you would almost have to be blind to forget to remove it before flight. This has happened more than once, belive me. This may also work on other helis that use a bolt on head button and have a flat surface to mount on.

Mike
flybyheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2006, 01:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Seems like a well crafted item, but I'm afraid I don't know what this is for. I've only been in the hobby for a few months. Please, do tell what is it's purpose as I might like to make one if I have a need.
frankos72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2006, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

To check the blade angle, you first lock the flybar in a level plane. Then , with the pitch gauge mounted on a blade you get a full range check of your pitch. With this still locked you can check and adjust both blades to be the same. The level flybar gives you the constant point you are measuring against. Both sides are measured from the same plane. I use a bubble level on the flybar. TimT
Tim Tompkins is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2006, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

oh sweet!!! I've just been eyeballing that the flybar is level.
frankos72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2006, 04:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Good job, that is a clever idea.
trevorz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very sharp! I knew there had to be an easier way! Good job!
If it ain't broke, fly it...
JEB123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I made one for my TRex using a piece of electronics perf board and 2 Sullivan golden clevises screwed in all the way against the board. Just turn the clevises sideways so the cross pins sit flat against the flybar. Remove the head button and use a longer screw to attach the board onto the top of the head til it sits flush. Be careful as too long a screw will hit the feathering spindle. You may need to spread the legs of the clevises a little. It turned out to be the exact length to hold the flybar level! it works great!
If it ain't broke, fly it...
JEB123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

looks awesome! quality fabrication, looks like the one i made out of aluminum last year. your carbon version looks much cooler! i'm gonna have to make me one.
capnscruffy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Very Cool!

I made a similar device about a year ago. Compared to yours mine is a piece of camel dung. I intend to copy yours. Great work! Thank you.

Blade mCPX BL2, Blade 180 CFX, Blade 450X, Blade 360 CFX, Oxy 3, Mini Protos, Gaui X7
rreichar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in