Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ordered the BeastX USB tool stick and adapter so I can download my setting to a file and not have to use the awkward TX/UI.

I can then also update to the latest firmware when needed then re-apply Horizons factory settings and go from there.
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by spykez View Post
I don't know how to interpret that ellipse.

Maybe I am misinterpreting it
Whoa! Calm down - there's nothing to interpret here. I saw the comment from Being about stock wood blades, so my post was originally a correction that the 450X comes with CF blades, that he should give them a shot, and that if we're out of stock when he needs a replacement pair we're bringing in a bunch of the Thunder Powers. Then, just after posting I noticed that his question was about the 450 3D, not the 450X. I had been thrown off because this is a 450X thread, not a 450 3D thread. So I immediately edited my post to remove the unhelpful (for Being, anyway) information.

No snarkiness intended, just a failure to read the original question.
David Eichstedt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikelG View Post
Hi,

Let me see if I can answer a few questions here...

As far as the power of the 450 X, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I will not argue that the other motors you have mentioned are more powerful than the 440H motor, BUT, you need to account for the fact that the stock 450 X is about 100 grams lighter than your typical 450 RTF. For a helicopter of this size, this is VERY significant.

As far as headspeed, again, you'll be happy to know, at 0 pitch, fresh pack, it's turning 3600. When it reaches the flat part of the battery curve, it's between 3100-3300, which is typical for 450 helicopters.

You have a helicopter that is 100 grams lighter, and turning the same headspeed as other 450s. Whereas other 450s run 14 degrees of pitch, I programmed the 450 X for only 12. Why? Fly it and you'll see that any more is truly unnecessary. In terms of raw power, yes other machines are more powerful. But in terms of the performance of the package, the 450 X will hang with the best of them and will feel much lighter than the rest of them (lighter disc loading). The lighter disc loading, combined with lower overall pitch also means longer flight times compared to other 450s. You can get a SOLID 4 minute flight of all out banging the sticks with the stock E-flite 2200mAh 30C pack.

Also, I recommend that users use the included E-flite pack. It is lighter than most other batteries and using heavier batteries will negate the lower weight benefit the 450 X offers.

Hope this helps.

M
Thanks for the info...I'm glad to hear the head speed is as high as you say because it just doesn't sound that way when it is flying (I didn't get a chance to tach it today because the weather has been pretty bad).

I totally agree with you in regards to the 450 X will hang with the other helis on the market today.

In regards to the motor power thing I knew it was just a different interpretation. We are on the same page here and I agree that the 100 grams is a signifigant factor that needs to be considered. I do have one 450 that has a more reactive punch than the 450 X but it's a pretty extreme setup. It's also outfitted with a v3 BeastX so it is a pretty good machine to compare the 450 X. The battery weight thing is a good thing to point out and something for many to consider (I'm running Turnigy nano-tech 45-90C packs because they are only 10 grams heavier than the stock battery and can deliver gobs of power for a fraction of the price.......).

Thanks for all the info....

It really is a great heli....
mtuccio is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eichstedt View Post
Whoa! Calm down - there's nothing to interpret here. I saw the comment from Being about stock wood blades, so my post was originally a correction that the 450X comes with CF blades, that he should give them a shot, and that if we're out of stock when he needs a replacement pair we're bringing in a bunch of the Thunder Powers. Then, just after posting I noticed that his question was about the 450 3D, not the 450X. I had been thrown off because this is a 450X thread, not a 450 3D thread. So I immediately edited my post to remove the unhelpful (for Being, anyway) information.

No snarkiness intended, just a failure to read the original question.
My sincere apologies, as stated then. It did seem a bit abrupt to me.

In any case, what is the deal with the Al grips? Both for the flybarred and flybarless?

I ask as it seems, at least from the 4503D flybarred, that a number of aluminium and/or CF hop up parts introduced compatibility issues with bone stock parts. And I will say it is less than optimal that this was not clearly documented or indicated.

spykez is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by spykez View Post
In any case, what is the deal with the Al grips? Both for the flybarred and flybarless?
+1

I've pre-ordered the 450X. As my avatar says - I really do have a ton of spares for the 450, which is why I didn't get the Trex with 3GX, as to Blade's credit there is a LOT of parts crossover.

So, couple of question for Dave or Mike...

1. Does the Blade 450X grips suit (i.e. no shims) the Blade CF rotors? (I find installing shims to be a pain in the @rse. )

2. Why doesn't the Alloy grips have the nut retainer like the plastic one has?

I guess the alloy tail case needs the CF accessories to keep the weight down???
Old 03-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cants View Post
+1

I've pre-ordered the 450X. As my avatar says - I really do have a ton of spares for the 450, which is why I didn't get the Trex with 3GX, as to Blade's credit there is a LOT of parts crossover.

So, couple of question for Dave or Mike...

1. Does the Blade 450X grips suit (i.e. no shims) the Blade CF rotors? (I find installing shims to be a pain in the @rse. )

2. Why doesn't the Alloy grips have the nut retainer like the plastic one has?

I guess the alloy tail case needs the CF accessories to keep the weight down???
I'll try to answer this the best I can.

The grips will need shims for the blades in the plastic and aluminum grips. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Ali grips are a machined part. Because of that, it would be extremely difficult to have a nut retainer created at that size.

As far as the ali tail case, this was an oversight on my part during development. The descriptions have been updated on the Horizon site to indicate that the CF fins and ali tail case must be used in conjunction. Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Hope this helps.

M
MikelG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well I just got mine home. I think I am going to take those $35 blades off before I splinter them and put a set of $10 pro 3251. I think I will leave the stock servos alone and I bought 4 sets of gears to fix them 1 time each. Then I will take the hitech of my 450 3d. Guess I will have to not tail in cause still can't find tail sliders, Ops better be careful with blade grips also don't think they have them in stock. Well going to program dx8 cant find any setups online. Hope the wind calms down tomorrow in Ga so I can try this thing out.
Ken125 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey just a word of caution, make sure those blades are rated for 3600 rpm, also do not expect them to provide a good flying experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For no better than I do I need to stick with serface vehicles. These cheep blades do real good chopping bushes.
Ken125 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine came in the mail today, Got to do a mild 2 packs through it in my back yard. I didn't do anything crazy.. But this thing is rock solid, Hovers beautifully, I could probably set my dx8 down for a few seconds and it wouldn't go anywhere.

Tail seems really solid, way better than my old 450 3D.. I was having tons of issues with the 450 3D's gyro.

Performed really well for the mild circuits and hovers that I did, Hopefully this weekend's weather will be nice and Ill get to try some slightly more aggressive things.

AR90 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome!!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJ View Post
Hey just a word of caution, make sure those blades are rated for 3600 rpm, also do not expect them to provide a good flying experience.

So what would be a valid alternative for CF main blades that don't cost $30 or $40 ?
DrummerForJesus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerForJesus View Post
So what would be a valid alternative for CF main blades that don't cost $30 or $40 ?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...n-Fiber-Blades

Old 03-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJ View Post
Ordered the BeastX USB tool stick and adapter so I can download my setting to a file and not have to use the awkward TX/UI.

I can then also update to the latest firmware when needed then re-apply Horizons factory settings and go from there.

Be prepared to be disappointed.

As it stands the Beastx usb interface lacks the software to allow you to access the AR7200BX.

Maybe sometime in the future Spek will release micro setting sw for the AR7200BX but as of now there isn't any. The micro beast sw is not compatible.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh man, what do you mean by "micro beast sw"

Old 03-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Software?
DesJardins is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lol, sure and I'm a programmer Hehe

Old 03-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

How hard could it be, wish it was open source. Well darn

Old 03-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I received "the call" from my LHS and high-tailed it in. This thing is a BEAST, pun fully intended.

I already knew the power was going to be insane as I had already installed one of the upgrade motors in my Blade 450 3D, but I wasn't expecting losing the flybar to add noticeably more power on top of that.

Full-pitch pumps in Stunt-mode are so violently fast and responsive, it feels like the heli is following your thumb. And unlike the B450 3D, the stock gyro settings held the tail beautifully.

It was pretty gusty out when I flew and it really is amazing watching the heli quiver ever-so-gently as it makes a thousand corrections per second or whatever it is to keep itself steady.

Losing the flybar has also crisped up the cyclic response noticeably; there's absolutely no delay between your input and the heli's response. The manual actually recommends no expo. Yes, you read that right. And unbelievably, I agree; the cyclic is just so crisp I feel like I have complete control. It's also fast, it does a complete stationary flip in well under one second, and perfectly axial rolls if you manage the collective right.

My one complaint would be that it doesn't appear as though they addressed the motor bearing or OWB issues some people were having with their B450 3D's. I've never had a problem, presumably because I use a dab of TriFlow on all moving parts every 20 flights or so.

I basically believe that no heli is truly RTF, especially equipped for all-out 3D, but I think Blade may have done it.
Spektrum: DX8 - AMA #967873 - IRCHA #4095
nick_onelove is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

It truly is amazing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in