Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Eagle Tree Systems

Eagle Tree Systems Onboard data loggers, telemetry, and OSD support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Using Elogger with different models?

If I want to use the Elogger with my TREX 450 and TREX500, can I just plug in the elogger to the 450, use it then move it the 500 use it and finally hook it up to my computer, change the ratio from 11.5384615 to 12.4615385 to get the correct readyings or do I have to download the data from the 450, change the ratio to 12.4615385 before I use it with the 500?

On both helis, I'm using Scorpion motors and both also 13 pinion. When I downloaded the data from the Elogger, I was able to get readable data but when I downloaded the data from the 500 I got numbers that make no sense so I either did something really wrong or I have to make the switch before changing pinion/ratio.
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

To use the Brushless RPM Sensor, your 450 & 500 Motors would have to have the same number of Poles. Otherwise, the only way you could mix sessions would be by using the Optical or Hall Effects RPM Sensor.
Then, just keep track of your sessions and "Choose Model" to apply the correct Head Speed ratios for each session.

I do not have to be politically correct. I am not a politician.
K-50 / 500ESP /450SEv2 /H200SD / mCX / RF4.5 / 10C 2.4GHz
Ecklund1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

According to the specs for both motors, both Scorpion motors have 6 poles so it should work then. Just to be clear, are you saying that if I have two models "TREX450" and "TREX500" AND both of my motors have the same number of poles then it should work? Does that mean that even if I have two models but different numbers of poles on the motor it would work unless I have a different RMP sensor than the one I already have (brushless)?

Just want to make sure i understand this correctly, thanks for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecklund1 View Post
To use the Brushless RPM Sensor, your 450 & 500 Motors would have to have the same number of Poles. Otherwise, the only way you could mix sessions would be by using the Optical or Hall Effects RPM Sensor.
Then, just keep track of your sessions and "Choose Model" to apply the correct Head Speed ratios for each session.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well. I opened the same data file and graphed it. Then changed models and graphed it again. The only Data that changed was Head Speed.
So, as far as the eLogger was concerned, it was the same model. Both with Brushless Sensors and 6-Pole Motors. Remember, with Brushless, it records Motor Speed and infers Head Speed.

Now, If you had different Pole counts, you would not be able to mix sessions using the Brushless Sensor. You would have to measure Head Speed directly vs. Motor RPM.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, I will get a different sensor to be ready.... probably the optical RMP sensor.

I just learned something by running some searches. It appears the brusless sensor many people purchased are mislabeled. Apparently, Bill thought it was an isolated insident but obviously is not. The good news is that just the wires are reversed (I think). I also think now that I might have used the two wrong wires from the ESC to the motor. It worked OK with my 450 but this might actually be the reason why I got weird numbers. I can't really tell by looking at the brusless RPM instruction... the wires on the brussless motors are labeled as "to motor 1" and "to motor 2". How do this correspond to the ESC. My motor has the red, blue and black wires. Should 1 go to the red wire or and 2 to the blue wire or 1 to black and 2 to blue? This might be obvious to some people but this stuff is new to me, thanks.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It doesn't matter which two of the three wires. You can hook them to any two that you please.

Regarding the Optical Sensor, I've read that it can be sensitive to ambient light interference. So mounting in a way that can be sheilded from extra light is supposed to help. I feel it is still better than having to mess around with magnets. I'll go Optical on my Nitro when I do.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It will work. just create a new model with said parameters and load that model when you want to see it's data. same number of poles but you have to change the gear ratio. Keep track with time displays and ignore data that does not correspond to model. hook up #1 to any wire #2 to any wire on the brushless motor or it will not work correctly.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey Corona, Join the Eagle Tree Users Group!

Old 04-27-2009, 07:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sweet, thanks guys!
Old 03-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you have saved a session using the wrong calibration (poles and gearing) can you change the data on reloading. I've tried changing the model with the correct data but still get the same rpm as when saved.
Thanks
GreenCello is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in