Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 425

Hurricane 425 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 425

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Two types of people

There are two types of people, those who love the 425 and those who have never flown one. I love this heli even more than I love the price.

The 425 is so stable more like my 90 nitros.

I have 2 trex 500's and they will both be finding a new home so dont tell everyone about this heli because I need to find homes for the 500's.
newhelliguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhelliguy View Post
There are two types of people, those who love the 425 and those who have never flown one. I love this heli even more than I love the price.

I have 2 trex 500's and they will both be finding a new home so dont tell everyone about this heli because I need to find homes for the 500's.

I want one If ever get the money for one maybe hopefully Santa will give me one.
never flown one don't know anyone local got one

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=Epoweredrc;2142287 If ever get the money for one [/QUOTE]

That's the greatest thing about the 425 is that it is CHEAP, I know that my first big crash I am just going to go buy a new kit. I absolutely love the way my 425 flies and I flew a logo before this so that is saying quite a bit if ya ask me I flew it once on the plastic head and It flew just as good as with the metal head that I got for free from a buddy, this heli is definetely a keeper in my eyes I plan on getting an X5 when I get the dough.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

yeah heli cheap but servos, esc, gyro are not. being w.o a job sucks
I always wanted a logo but they cost way to much

Old 06-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Well, I guess there are 3 types of people then. There are those of us that love both our Hurri 425 and 550. Also currently putting together a medium boomed 500mm bladed one, and picked up a used 200 that I haven't flown yet. Guess you could call me a "Gaui guy".

BTW, my wife was born and raised in the hills of Eastern Kentucky. Been there dozens of times to visit her brothers and sisters. Great place, and real nice people there. Hoping to move to Kentucky when we retire. She still owns the place where she grow up over in Hardshell, about 30 miles from Jackson.

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 05:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Excellent - glad to hear that you are enjoying the 425

Do try it as a 550 though (you can get a long boom conversion kit for $16 + $20 for blades) - you'll love it as well

As well as these being soooo cheap, and soooo good, they are really versatile as well
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 05:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoweredrc View Post
yeah heli cheap but servos, esc, gyro are not. being w.o a job sucks
I always wanted a logo but they cost way to much
I don't know if it helps - but I built up one of my 550's using low cost parts
Cyclic servos - Futaba 3001 = $10 each
HK 401B gyro = $14

Flew beautifully (until I killed it - soon to re-appear)
Old 06-21-2010, 06:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I don't know if it helps - but I built up one of my 550's using low cost parts
Cyclic servos - Futaba 3001 = $10 each
HK 401B gyro = $14

Flew beautifully (until I killed it - soon to re-appear)
I use Futaba 3001's in a airplane of mine that was out of a olf glow plane, I would not think they would be strong enough for a heli of this size, was you just hovering? I am into i call mild 3D backflips, sideflips, inverted punch outs.

I do own a HK401 i tried it on my Blade 400 and had horrible wag, if i get a 500 I do plan to try it again to make sure had it set up 100% correct but a Sapatan is what I really want for it.
what motor you used? i was looking at the HK motors. $15-20 and maybe a Plush 80 esc to start with but want the 75A Ice when can afford it.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Excellent - glad to hear that you are enjoying the 425

Do try it as a 550 though (you can get a long boom conversion kit for $16 + $20 for blades) - you'll love it as well

As well as these being soooo cheap, and soooo good, they are really versatile as well
where can you buy blades for $20? you have to be talking about woodies?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
where can you buy blades for $20? you have to be talking about woodies?
Nope - Helidirect http://www.helidirect.com/550mm-pro-...de-p-11215.hdx $18.90 fiberglass
Old 06-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I use Futaba 3001's in a airplane of mine that was out of a olf glow plane, I would not think they would be strong enough for a heli of this size, was you just hovering? I am into i call mild 3D backflips, sideflips, inverted punch outs.

I do own a HK401 i tried it on my Blade 400 and had horrible wag, if i get a 500 I do plan to try it again to make sure had it set up 100% correct but a Sapatan is what I really want for it.
what motor you used? i was looking at the HK motors. $15-20 and maybe a Plush 80 esc to start with but want the 75A Ice when can afford it.
Loops, flips etc. - all I can do :o:o

I have 5 of the GY401B clones including a HK401B that was on my 550 until I killed it - they have all worked really well for me
Old 06-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

These 3d pro blades are the ones I use and they work great.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/exi-pro-4301-yellow.html

I also bought this motor and it is a great motor.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m62-heli...25-1500kv.html

I used the 821s that comes with radio and it flies great.

You can fly with 2 2200 3s and use batteries from 450 size until you get the 2650 batteries. I get 3-4 mins with this setup.
newhelliguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Loops, flips etc. - all I can do :o:o

I have 5 of the GY401B clones including a HK401B that was on my 550 until I killed it - they have all worked really well for me
Oh, I just did not think they would hold up, the ones I got came in a katana 3d plane did fine HUGE controls on the airplane but i just know helis take a lot of moving and abuse lol.
I do not want to rebuild due to servos or something stupid happening.

Thanks for all the links, well whats the driffrence between carbon fiber and fiberglass?
fiberglass are heavier right, guess good for auto's. The HK401B might had just been me. it did fine for flips, but really fast FF it wags bad. Not sure I had the settings 100 right however. got confused on if the gain on gryo did anything if you have the lil remote wire pluged in or if all settings have to be change din the radio (DX7)

Old 06-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Oh, I just did not think they would hold up, the ones I got came in a katana 3d plane did fine HUGE controls on the airplane but i just know helis take a lot of moving and abuse lol.
I do not want to rebuild due to servos or something stupid happening.

Thanks for all the links, well whats the driffrence between carbon fiber and fiberglass?
fiberglass are heavier right, guess good for auto's. The HK401B might had just been me. it did fine for flips, but really fast FF it wags bad. Not sure I had the settings 100 right however. got confused on if the gain on gryo did anything if you have the lil remote wire pluged in or if all settings have to be change din the radio (DX7)
I probably have about 300 flights on the 550 with the 3001s, plus about 250 on my other 550 using DS821s - the 821s are better, but the 3001s have been fine for my poor skills - I'm not saying that they are the best, but OK for me and my dumb thumbs .

As you say FG blades are heavier and not as stiff as CF -but again for a duffer like me they are fine. Same thing for the HK401 - not the best gyro in the world, but good enough for me and a great price. The 401 doesn't have gain on the gyro (just limit and delay whichare not the same), so you need to plug in the remote wire and tweak in your DX7
Old 06-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I probably have about 300 flights on the 550 with the 3001s, plus about 250 on my other 550 using DS821s - the 821s are better, but the 3001s have been fine for my poor skills - I'm not saying that they are the best, but OK for me and my dumb thumbs .

As you say FG blades are heavier and not as stiff as CF -but again for a duffer like me they are fine. Same thing for the HK401 - not the best gyro in the world, but good enough for me and a great price. The 401 doesn't have gain on the gyro (just limit and delay whichare not the same), so you need to plug in the remote wire and tweak in your DX7
Thanks for the info, wow. see I like hearing from people like you 300 flights thats saying something, if you said 20 i be like ugh I dunno lol... Well maybe i will go that route for cheap cheap if I ever get the heli itself.
what tail servo do you use? and um the G401 does say delay and limit, limit is for how much the servo moves and the delay is.... um I always called it a gain.
I tryed to move it from zero up to 70% or more never changed to much.

so you have to change it in the radio Gear channel I had it like 72% for head hold mode.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for the info, wow. see I like hearing from people like you 300 flights thats saying something, if you said 20 i be like ugh I dunno lol... Well maybe i will go that route for cheap cheap if I ever get the heli itself.
what tail servo do you use? and um the G401 does say delay and limit, limit is for how much the servo moves and the delay is.... um I always called it a gain.
I tryed to move it from zero up to 70% or more never changed to much.

so you have to change it in the radio Gear channel I had it like 72% for head hold mode.
Basically Delay is how long the gyro waits between asking the rudder servo to carry out a command, and asking it to do it again - so if the gyro has said "go left", how long it waits before it says "go left" again if it has not moved far enough.

Gain is more like how accurately you are asking the gyro to hold the heading - if it is asked to hold very hard (high %) then the gyro will constantly be trying to correct the heading (leading to wag), if you ask for a low % then it may drift - particularly on hard pitch pumps. These are my definitions - others may have better descriptions
Old 06-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Basically Delay is how long the gyro waits between asking the rudder servo to carry out a command, and asking it to do it again - so if the gyro has said "go left", how long it waits before it says "go left" again if it has not moved far enough.

Gain is more like how accurately you are asking the gyro to hold the heading - if it is asked to hold very hard (high %) then the gyro will constantly be trying to correct the heading (leading to wag), if you ask for a low % then it may drift - particularly on hard pitch pumps. These are my definitions - others may have better descriptions
yeah if i get a bigger heli I will give it a go again, you didn't mention what tail servo your running?

Old 06-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
yeah if i get a bigger heli I will give it a go again, you didn't mention what tail servo your running?
Whoops - sorry forgot, I use a Hyperion DS20GMD, just under $40 and 0.05 sec/deg @ 6V
Old 06-21-2010, 12:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Whoops - sorry forgot, I use a Hyperion DS20GMD, just under $40 and 0.05 sec/deg @ 6V
oh alright that's the one I decided to get. thanks again for all the info

Old 06-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is it able to do good 3D maneuvers without Bobby Watts at the controls!!! You mean stable on sport flying?
Have a 550 and Im thinking about making it 425. Couldnt reach enough head speed to do 3D on the 550, and to be honest bought another helis and never tried again. I have a couple of aligns (500 and 600n) but always liked the idea of doing stuff with non align helis. Im against that culture where people talk with conviction about x or y brand names only because they are marketing victims.
Some guys here gaved me some advice about gears combinations and I have all the stuff , Im just waiting for my esc that got broken on my last crash on it.

So it will be nice to do some stuff with a $79.00 hurricane in front of that kind of people!!!
osyhaz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in