Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50 > Titan X50

Titan X50 Thunder Tiger Titan X50 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Lost MY tail today

Fourth flight on the rebuild, odd noise, but everything SEEMED ok. I took it apart, and checked the torque tube, and all looked OK. Had a loose tail rod guide, so I thought the noise was just vibration from that.

Just doing loops, immelmans, inverted hover, and general forward flight, trying to identify the problem.
All of the sudden, the tail went out. I hit throttle hold, dropped her down, but she started tilting and was still spinning faster than I could compensate. Went in, but not too bad.
Broken main blade, broken skid, and bend main rotor grip, otherwise OK.

When I pulled it apart, this is what I saw. This is a new torque tube, two flights on it.

You can tell it did not fail in the crash, as there is no twisting in the break, but you can see the serious rubs at the break. Looks like the torque tube just failed on it's own.

Wonder if there is any warranty!

EDIT -
From the thread - Lost the tail today ( https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=403413 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroAl View Post
I had a similar day losing the tail while rolling out of a big loop! At about 60m high the tail swung around 180deg then took off on a random journey of it's own!
Total damage was Canopy, receiver tray,blades, boom and torque tube. I thought it would be toast since it was already aiming at the ground at speed from altitude before the rudder went AWOL!
The cause was a broken torque tube, I'll be damned if I know how or why. It was about 150mm from the tail!

Interesting....My break is 6" (152mm) from the end of the actual torque TUBE, 7" if you add the insertion piece.

And then me -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
Are you sure the torque tube itself broke? That seems a bit scary if that is the case.

I know with my rebuild, putting the new torque tube in, I noticed the new one seems a bit bent. Not kinked, but not perfectly straight. It does have some wobble in it rotationally.
Figure the head spinning at 2000 rpm, and a 1:5 ratio, means that tail shaft is spinning 10000 rpms. If that torque tube is not PERFECTLY straight, or slightly off balance, I can see it just flinging itself all around and causing some good stress.
I will actually be ordering a pair of the bearings and red grommets, and putting a total of three torque tube bearings (PV1376) on the shaft to help eliminate the possibility of the shaft wobbling, especially at high speeds. Whether this is needed or not, I do not know, but I think it may cause me to be a little more confident. I can see no detriments to this modification either.

I did NOT get to add more of the torque tube bearings yet....and the torque tube I mention is the torque tube that broke.

Last edited by DethWshBkr; 04-15-2012 at 11:15 PM..
DethWshBkr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 02:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That is exactly what mine looked like! The original one that came in the kit was worn where the bearing was to the point that when I held the two ends and and bent it a little it snapped like a twig!
I have rebuilt the tail now with one bearing right on the boom support clamp and the other just forward of the center of the remaining tube but I am thinking I should have used 5min epoxy instead of CA!

I'l let you know if the bearings wear the shaft or some other strange things happen!
Ely.Q Vision 50

Last edited by NitroAl; 04-16-2012 at 07:02 AM..
NitroAl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I did put a heavy bead of CA around the bearing, and it was in the proper place. I am going to put three bearings on this new rebuild tube, with a light dab of epoxy. Again, the bearing did not move, that rubbing must be from inside the boom itself. I'll try to get a picture of the boom on the inside. Because the boom is not damaged, I am not going to disect it to see inside, as I will re-use it.

It's just a little interesting that the torque tube itself seems to have failed completely.

That cracking indicates metal fatigue to me. The slight bending in the torque tube, and the forces put on it by rotating so quickly very easily could have caused metal fatigue. I am hoping more support would prevent any issues.
I wish that tube was a little thicker though, it seems VERY thin.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Deth,

hobbicos TT support is top notch. any piec that broke irregularly on any of my X50's, ive gotten them replaced hassle free. They may ask for proof of purchase though. i bought mine on ebay and the store/user was authorized as dealer so all good. give them a call. my clutch bell broke in flight and they replaced no prob.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

i wonder if we should pull the tube out from the rear and check once in a while. should only take a few minutes? might prevent a more $$ repair
rcflier1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the torque tube a common faill or a few isolated incidents? It's making me nervous about mt X50
Elgyn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I called Hobbico, and spoke with their tech guy, he said I am the first person ever to call in and say that a torque tube failed in normal flight. The only other issues, were from ground strikes, which make sense.....
I will see what happens on this rebuild.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflier1 View Post
i wonder if we should pull the tube out from the rear and check once in a while. should only take a few minutes? might prevent a more $$ repair
I did that! I pulled the entire boom off, removed the tube, and checked everything out prior to this flight, due to the "noise". I could see NO scuffs or stresses on the torque tube at all.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

so is hobbico taking care of it?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I already have parts on order, but they offered to send me some replacement parts. I will look her over hard and make sure nothing is seriously screwed. I'm not asking for a freebie or anything though.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Do you think that as prevention for the crash it would be worth for us to add 2 extra bearings inside the tail boom?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Do you think that as prevention for the crash it would be worth for us to add 2 extra bearings inside the tail boom?
I am doing that. I don't see what it would hurt. I mean, it SHOULDN'T need it, but WHAT caused that failure otherwise?!

I will be putting the old one in the middle, and the two more coming half way from the center to both ends.
I do not think this is a "Problem", as again, the gentleman I spoke to said he never heard of this before. Regardless, the crack in the torque tube lengthwise indicates fatigue. For less than two FULL tanks on the tube, that's a concern though.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
SNIP
I will be putting the old one in the middle, and the two more coming half way from the center to both ends.
SNIP
There's nothing wrong with two or three bearings, just make sure there is NOT an equal distance between all three. Just as with one bearing where you don't put it exactly in the center, multiple bearings should NOT be spaced evenly.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What else do i need... Hmmmmm, getting just bearings... To justify faster shipping i need more parts
Old 04-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
There's nothing wrong with two or three bearings, just make sure there is NOT an equal distance between all three. Just as with one bearing where you don't put it exactly in the center, multiple bearings should NOT be spaced evenly.
What is the reasoning behind that?
DX8
YBNORMAL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My tail has done nothing but give me problems since day 1. I have gone from 1 bearing to 2 bearings and then to 3. I have tried to lengthen the torque tube using a 60 torque tube and still no luck. I would be soo happy to find a solution to why my tail is not smooth.. It holds fine in funnels, hurricans and tail slides but in a hover the tail twitches and drifts nose left. I have set mechanical in normal mode and played with gyro tapes. I am so disappointed with the torque tube version especially after reading of all the problems everybody else has been having. I had the tail control rod break on the 2nd flight due to a vibration that must still be hounding me. I hovered again tonight after changing torque tube and still not happy.
JeffKollin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
What is the reasoning behind that?
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...82#post3761882

I never used more than one on my 450SEv3, 450Pro, 600LE, or Velocity 50.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks! I ordered two sets of bearings from Tower the other day, I will have to install the second one when I get a chance. Kind of nervous about all this talk of TTs fatiguing........I have been reading up on what everyone else is doing to their Titan so that when it is go time all the bugs will be wrung out.

I wonder if a few short pieces of fuel tubing spaced along the length of the TT would help to dissipate some of the vibrations? Similar concept to the type of dampeners that bowhunters use on the bowstring?

YB
DX8
YBNORMAL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you run one bearing set it biased to the tail and it should be fine!
Ely.Q Vision 50
NitroAl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Should be, yes. So then what caused my replacement to fail in the equivalent of two tanks of not hard flying?
Should be fine, I agree, but after seeing a failure such as I had, the little bit of work and cost to run an extra bearing or two puts my mind at ease.
Right now I have the stock one at 350mm (13.78") as the manual calls for, one at 152mm (6") from the nose end, and one at 171mm (6.75") from the tail end of the tube.

I do NOT believe it is a design flaw (single bearing), but I do believe I just got unlucky and got a bad tube. It happens. This is my insurance policy and my minds solution.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in