Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Loosing power on Protos 500 kit

Hi, I recently got my first fbl heli kit. The protos carbon stretched 500 KIT with scorpion 880Kv motor. 60A yge ESC. MSH Brain. 430mm msh blades. And I added 2 dsmx satelites. spektrum tm1000 telemet. 3 x align ds515 + savox 1290mg. It has 15T pinion gear. Batteries: Turnigy 6S nanotech 2700 mah 65-130C
I am using the esc governor. I set it up with the recommended parameters found in the manual for the scorpion motor. RPM set to 2500 in radio 70%. pitch angle 12.4.

I noticed:
When I push collective to upper o lower limit, it first reacts but after less than a second starts to lose power progressively and if I calm down on the collective I can recover the power. These happened all the time until while I was testing this suddenly I had an unrecoverable loose of power that I could land with no damage. After 20 or 30 sec I could restart the heli with the same battery.

I´m monitoring rpm and battery voltage:

Battery voltage never went down 22.2 in any case as I set the alarm. But all these happened from the beginning of the flights. The total loose of power happened at around 23.1 V. Battery readings were OK just after the flights.
RPM are monitored via the second cable in the ESC converted by the MSH governor cable connected to the TM1000. And while I felt and hear the loose of power of the motor when I repeated the abovementioned maneuvers. The RPM maintained around 2500. No changes.

Is this too much for the ESC ??
Should I add a battery pack of 6.6 Volts to the MSH brain.?
Should I fly in lower RPM. How many??
Thanks
glupsnif is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2014, 11:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Did you set your throttle end points in the ESC first, before you set up the governor? If not, that could cause problems.

YGE Programming Governor Store (11 min 21 sec)

GAUI X3 6S, Xnova 1860, HW 50A V3, MKS DS95, 8910A+, BeastX, Belted Tail.
isogloss3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi glupsnif,

your setup looks reasonable (RPM, pitch etc). I did hear Align servos being power hungry, but that should not lead to loss of motor power. I recon you were still in control of the heli, just losing motor power?

Maybe the low voltage cutoff was set wrong in the esc? I have mine set to 3,1V and slow down. I would expect a behaviour like you described when the LVC sets in.

Strange that the telemetry did not register the RPM fall off, but I´d go after what you can feel/hear, so if the heli was bogging telemetry should pick it up
Old 04-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Did you get continuous double-beeps after landing? That's indication from YGE that it has triggered LVC in-flight.

PS. I run Align cyclic servos and Savox tail servo with YGE60 and stretch with 470 blades. No sign of BEC issue after a few hundred flights [touch wood].
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isogloss3d View Post
Did you set your throttle end points in the ESC first, before you set up the governor? If not, that could cause problems.
Yes I did that. Anyway if I'm using a flat 70% line this should not br thr problrm right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr dremel View Post
Hi glupsnif,

Strange that the telemetry did not register the RPM fall off, but I´d go after what you can feel/hear, so if the heli was bogging telemetry should pick it up
That's why I supposed that was something wrong regarding the esc as the rpm readings come directly from the second servo cable of the esc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCH View Post
Did you get continuous double-beeps after landing? That's indication from YGE that it has triggered LVC in-flight.

PS. I run Align cyclic servos and Savox tail servo with YGE60 and stretch with 470 blades. No sign of BEC issue after a few hundred flights [touch wood].
No beeps after the total fall,
How many rpm are you on with that setup?

As soon as it arrives my Bluetooth cable I will try using the governor from de brain unit.
and turn off the one from esc.
Thanks for the reply.
glupsnif is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only things coming to my mind with total loss of power and motor rpm staying the same is when the OWB in the pinion is failing or motor shaft is turning loose in the bell.

Don´t know if this is gov related, but when in doubt maybe try running without the esc gov to rule it out.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: Loosing power on Protos 500 kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr dremel View Post
The only things coming to my mind with total loss of power and motor rpm staying the same is when the OWB in the pinion is failing or motor shaft is turning loose in the bell.

Don´t know if this is gov related, but when in doubt maybe try running without the esc gov to rule it out.
Agree! I missed the statement that rpm logged constant but no HS.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: Loosing power on Protos 500 kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by glupsnif View Post
No beeps after the total fall,
How many rpm are you on with that setup?
With 14T I ran 2300/2400/2500. With 13T now I run 2250/2350/2450.

As Dr dremel said, sounds like mechanical problem because TM logs constant rpm and no beeps from ESC.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2014, 01:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

As dr dremel said it is definitively worth checking OWB. I had similar problems some time ago... It definitively looked like motor/ESC issue (even swapped ESC - fortunately from I can't remember which to YGE)...
clicky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2014, 05:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had strange HS issue with my Synergy when I maidened couple weeks ago. Was very similar to yours. Start to get up to speed ,then come down very low.Running YGE gov store had very similar problem. Realized gov was turned on in Brain software.Once I turned off, Gov store worked great. I have about 5 helis with YGE and all work flawless, when I set up last heli couldnt figure out. The Brain was transplanted from my Gaui Nx4 and gov was left on from that.
When using External gov, Brain gov Must be Off.
Hope this helps and good luck
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in