Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Thunder Tiger GT5 FBL System

Thunder Tiger GT5 FBL System Thunder Tiger GT5 Flybarless Electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default So ... How easy is the G-T5 to set up?

I'm looking at picking up a new FBL system. I've used both the VBar and Microbeast with great results, but I like trying new things. The price of the G-T5 is attractive, and it seems that the consensus here is that it is good.

The VBar took me a little while to get flying the way I wanted it, and the Microbeast took very little time at all. I'm satisfied with the performance of each of them. Looking through the posts in the forum here, the G-T5 seems to take quite bit of tweaking but that is fairly simple to do on the unit itself.

I know different applications will pose different challenges, but for those of you who have owned other systems, where would you rate this unit in terms of ease of set up and flight characteristics? I don't have a lot of time to fly, so when I get the chance I want to fly, not fiddle with settings all the time!

I'm also curious about how well it copes with vibration.

Major Equipment Sponsor - AdventureRC
Discount_Bob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 02:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Honest question, honest answer, easy if you have a T/tiger heli and copy the settings, Very time consuming if youre not well versed in the terms of flybarless and didnt read both the manual and hc3x manual.
It doesnt rate anywhere near vbar or BX in ease of setup, Saying that it works quite well but still need some upgrades to perform as well in all aspects as vbar, good value for money though.
I had some machines fly perfect within 5 flights or even less, on bigger 10kw 90 size machines it was more challenging
If you like to try new things, you know youre gonna try one evntually anyway.
Ive used many fless systems Beast is now on TDR waiting to be tested but overall vbar is still the leader of the pack taking all aspects into account, once Ace has decent pc software, banks, gov, and a decent integrated swash ring it would be close, Where it falls short for me is continious piro flying, the transitioning is slow compared to vbar and gets too wobbly when you speed it up. Apart from that, very stable at high speed, tail is strong ,
On my furion 450 the tail actually performed better than the vbar.
LAstly if you get one, reading through the forums here i cant help to notice many are over-tweaking the unit by quite a margin, You should stay with basics, get geometry right and set it up in setup so you dont get binding but also within the range for the conrol loop. This is the same with vbar and BX but ace doesnt have a check tool or screen.
If you know what youre doing its probably the most tuneable of all. comparable to the old v3 vbar where every par could be adjusted individually, however ask yourself why vbar did away with all those individual settings?
Stolla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stolla is right. From my personal experience mostly flyable unit almost right out of box is Microbeast, then VStabi. G-T5 with only little tweaking is very stable and flyable unit for basic flying, but if you want to get best performance it need much of tweaking. This may be caused by lack of reliable information source and after some time it may be different story.

Overtweaking ... it may look so, but you may be completely wrong. Simple, if some default parameters settings (e.g. D-Sense) will not fit to your model you must experiment. I spent much time with G-T5 experiments, but these was for me valuable and i get from G-T5 better performance than from VStabi .

If you like tweaking and you want to get best performance from your model then G-T5 is right choice. If you have not much time there are much better choices for you (VStabi, Microbeast).
swalko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well said Swalko & Stolla, I too have come to the conclusion that this unit is very tweakable & flies darn good but if your Heli isn't a thunder tiger & it is a big bird, then you will have to spend some time getting it to where you want it. Mine is on the Srimok 90e & I had a Mbeast fitted to ensure all was well with the Heli but after fitting the GT5 I was blown away with the flight performance ( fff speed, roll & flip speed ) which I couldn't get on the Mbeast even with end points & dual rates maxed out.
I'm still tweaking the tail to get it just right but I do suspect my tail issues are more to do with vibes so my next move is to mount the GT somewhere else, all in all it is a nice unit but will require more time than normal in most cases to fly the way you want it.
seemore74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's definitely not as simple as a Beast X but if you enjoy something different and you enjoy a bit of tweaking/experimenting then the GT-5 is a great choice. I do think that the manual is very poor. After having read the Beast X manaual, I felt that I had a full understanding of what each parameter does and how I should set up the unit. After reading the GT-5 manual on the other hand, I still find that I have many many questions. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I flew the my TRex 500EFL Pro with a GT-5. On default settings, it flew quite nicely. Not as good as my Beast X but quite nice. After 3 more tuning flights, I love it. Very aggressive and very stable with a faster flip roll than I have managed to achieve with the Beast X (although I did not try Beast X on this particular heli). I just have a small bounce on hard cyclic stops which I am hoping to tune out next time I get to fly.

In the mean time, I have sold my spare Beast X so that is an indication of my preference. I have also recently been experimenting with an Align 3GX on my 700N which so far is not flying that great but hopefully I can dial it in better.

The touch interface is also a great feature. I really found it a bit frustrating at first but once you get used to it, it's really great. It's easier, clearer and faster than the Beast X method (which usually means looking up parameters in the manual) and I definitely prefer it to having to hook up a computer.
J-S-Q is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jeeeeez, more modern electronics for this old guy to learn .
I haven't had a FBL heli yet but have been reading here at length. This quote by Stolla intrigues me :
Quote:
easy if you have a T/tiger heli and copy the settings,
So I've been considering either a G4 E720 Raptor or an Align 700E, leaning towards the 720. I do sport type flying, circuits,autos with an occasional loop or roll here and there. A lot of low passes making helicopter noises.
So, the G4 720 being a ThunderTiger would that make the set-up for the GT-5 a piece of cake then ? Just enter what they tell you or is it like a menu to select one of their helis?
I was reading a German hobby shop ad where they are taking orders for the new X50E and it will have a GT-5 as an option with the GT-5 coming with it with sport/3d/F3C choices built in the gyro out of the box.
Another thing is I love how it looks to get really technical . Doug
Old 01-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug100856 View Post

So, the G4 720 being a ThunderTiger would that make the set-up for the GT-5 a piece of cake then ? Just enter what they tell you or is it like a menu to select one of their helis?
GT-5 comes with a datasheet with various settings for the new Raptor range of helis i.e. G4/E720 and X50. I would assume these settings would get your raptor flying decent and you can tweak for your own personal flying style..
Geffect is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 04:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug100856 View Post
Jeeeeez, more modern electronics for this old guy to learn .
I haven't had a FBL heli yet but have been reading here at length. This quote by Stolla intrigues me :

So I've been considering either a G4 E720 Raptor or an Align 700E, leaning towards the 720. I do sport type flying, circuits,autos with an occasional loop or roll here and there. A lot of low passes making helicopter noises.
I was reading a German hobby shop ad where they are taking orders for the new X50E and it will have a GT-5 as an option with the GT-5 coming with it with sport/3d/F3C choices built in the gyro out of the box.
Another thing is I love how it looks to get really technical . Doug

You have to copy from the data sheet, the e 720 is one of the best 90's out there, quality compares with the best of the best and it can handle more power than anything else with 15mm main shaft etc. Only downside spares are expensive. But if you dont crash often excellent buy
Stolla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys, I really appreciate that. The X50E is a sweet looking heli too. I saw an ad from a German shop where ThunderTiger was offering combos with Kontronic (!) motors and esc's, the GT-5, digital servos. Wow.
I appreciate the feedback on that G4 too, I 'm likely going with it. Doug
Old 01-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S-Q View Post
It's definitely not as simple as a Beast X but if you enjoy something different and you enjoy a bit of tweaking/experimenting then the GT-5 is a great choice. I do think that the manual is very poor. After having read the Beast X manaual, I felt that I had a full understanding of what each parameter does and how I should set up the unit. After reading the GT-5 manual on the other hand, I still find that I have many many questions. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I flew the my TRex 500EFL Pro with a GT-5. On default settings, it flew quite nicely. Not as good as my Beast X but quite nice. After 3 more tuning flights, I love it. Very aggressive and very stable with a faster flip roll than I have managed to achieve with the Beast X (although I did not try Beast X on this particular heli). I just have a small bounce on hard cyclic stops which I am hoping to tune out next time I get to fly.

In the mean time, I have sold my spare Beast X so that is an indication of my preference. I have also recently been experimenting with an Align 3GX on my 700N which so far is not flying that great but hopefully I can dial it in better.

The touch interface is also a great feature. I really found it a bit frustrating at first but once you get used to it, it's really great. It's easier, clearer and faster than the Beast X method (which usually means looking up parameters in the manual) and I definitely prefer it to having to hook up a computer.
Can you kindly post your setting please. I want to set my with Trex 500.

Thanks
kalps is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in