Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Micro/Mini Helicopters > Zoom/Shogun 400

Zoom/Shogun 400 Electric - Zoom - Shogun 400 Specific Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2005, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Please help with tail gearing setup!?

Hi everyone...

I'm new to this and I've inherited a used Shogun with a nearly new brushless motor. Its been flown several times and looks like its had its share of hard landings.

I am using a new Hitec Optic 6 transmitter and think I have the program set up properly for this heli.

When I got it, it came with a new tail shaft bevel gear and a new tail shaft. Now I know why... I've just ruined my second shaft and second tail shaft input gear. I think I have the output side adjusted properly, at least I don't see any wear on it yet.

The manual I have, doesn't really help very much. I'm having trouble getting the tail rotor set up properly. I've gotten fairly good at taking apart and getting the tail assembly back togther again. But I'm unsure of what pitch the tail rotor should have while at rest.

I'm guessing that it should have some pitch at rest so that it produces some thrust to counter the rotational forces of the main blade. Then to rotate the craft in flight, the pitch is increased or decreased accordingly. I just don't know if this assumption is correct or not... and if so, what pitch to use.

It appears as if the gryo is working... with power applied the tail rotor servo will activate to counter the rotation.

I'm also unsure how to correctly adjust the gears when installing them. Could someone please offfer some advice about that also? :?

Thanks in advance....
Peter
Sandpoint, Idaho.
peterh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2005, 04:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: Please help with tail gearing setup!?

Hi Peter,

I set my tail gears so that I can rotate the main gear without feeling any binding. The stock EF gears often are a little lopsided so you might end up with a little endplay in your tail shaft depending on where you check it with respect to the rotation of the gears. Also, make sure your tail shaft bearings are as far towards the end of the tailboom as possible. This gives the gear extra support and helps prevent it from whipping.

I set my blade pitch by aligning the control arm perpedicular to the tailboom. I'm not sure what the actual pitch is but this has worked for me.

Jeff
jbiter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2005, 07:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jeff! Thanks for the reply! It's 0530 Sunday morning and a reply is the first thing I checked for!

I guess I need to take things apart again. I had a passing thought about bearings in that tail shaft so now I'll dig into it to see if how to determine their condition and location.

After reading another thread, I also suspect I still need to reverse the tail servo.

I'm still a little confused on the tail rotor pitch. I understand what you mean about setting the control arm... however, the problem is that the tail rotor hub set slides along that tail output shaft until it is locked down with the allen head screws in the tail rotor hub shaft. So I don't know if it should be locked down at the very end of the shaft or somewhere further in, towards the gear. That decision changes the pitch at the resting position.

I'm on my last set of parts that I have on hand but its Sunday so I'll give it a try... won't get to try again till next weekend anyway and by then more parts can be here.

Thanks, and if you or anyone else has more thoughts on this, please post away!

Peter
Old 06-05-2005, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Peter,

I just measures my Shogun's tail pitch. It looks like it is about 7 degrees in the nose right direction. If you can't measure the degrees try folding the tail blades towards one side, the distance between the blade centers looks to be approx 7/8"

Hope this helps

Jeff
jbiter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2005, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi, I've finally got all the new parts in and installed. I'm still not certain I have the tail rotor adjusted correctly. I've posted a picture to illustrate how I have it now. If I fold the tail blades back so they are as close as possible, the tips are about 1 inch apart. Does that indicate a correct, or near correct angle? I think it is presently set for neutral. Meaning the servo is at the center position. Please reply if you think I have this set correctly or not.

Thanks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tailrotoradjustment1.jpg (66.2 KB, 168 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in