Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2015, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DS-14 or DS-16?

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of downsizing my fleet somewhat, and will only have one or two helis and the Align 690 multi. As such, I'm looking to upgrade my Tx from a DX9 to perhaps the DS-14 or 16, to have a more premium setup. Quality rather than quantity, as they say.

My helis will have the SK720BE and a BD3sx (or their new system whenever that comes out)and the Multi will be running a camera and gimbal.

What are your thoughts on a shopping list so far as which Jeti would be best and what Jeti Rx's I'd have to buy to get my fleet in the air?

Thanks in advance.

-edit- Oh, and where is the best place to purchase. I live in New Zealand
Bonkievan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2015, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm kinda in the same boat so let me share my thought process.

If you need to upgrade now, go DS14. If you want to pay more to 'future-proof' yourself and get the best, wait.

The DS24 will eventually be released (I believe the tray variant DC24 will be out this year), and if you are already committed to paying extra on the DS16 for future-proofing purposes, you would be kicking yourself for not waiting a little longer for the DS24.

On another forum ZB mentioned offhand that the DS24 price was to be around $2k. This figure was given before the price reduction on the DS16 which was attributed to exchange rate. Whether or not the supposed $2k price tag on the DS24 will follow suit and be readjusted remains to be seen.

ZB did also mention about a trade-up program, but going that route likely isn't going to be making the best use of your dollars if you're going to purchase the TX this late in the game. It caters more for people who have had the DS16 since 2013 and would like to upgrade to a new shiny unit.

Moreover, the receivers which allow you to tune the FBL units such as the Spirit via the TX while still receiving telemetry aren't out yet anyway. Additionally, it isn't like you lack a working radio, the DX9 is still functional isn't it.

And then there's the Futaba 18SX which is due soon, which will probably determine Futaba's fate in making relevant radios for today's market.

So all in all, wait! Unless you simply have to upgrade, just because.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhchoong View Post
I'm kinda in the same boat so let me share my thought process.

If you need to upgrade now, go DS14. If you want to pay more to 'future-proof' yourself and get the best, wait.

The DS24 will eventually be released (I believe the tray variant DC24 will be out this year), and if you are already committed to paying extra on the DS16 for future-proofing purposes, you would be kicking yourself for not waiting a little longer for the DS24.

On another forum ZB mentioned offhand that the DS24 price was to be around $2k. This figure was given before the price reduction on the DS16 which was attributed to exchange rate. Whether or not the supposed $2k price tag on the DS24 will follow suit and be readjusted remains to be seen.

ZB did also mention about a trade-up program, but going that route likely isn't going to be making the best use of your dollars if you're going to purchase the TX this late in the game. It caters more for people who have had the DS16 since 2013 and would like to upgrade to a new shiny unit.

Moreover, the receivers which allow you to tune the FBL units such as the Spirit via the TX while still receiving telemetry aren't out yet anyway. Additionally, it isn't like you lack a working radio, the DX9 is still functional isn't it.

And then there's the Futaba 18SX which is due soon, which will probably determine Futaba's fate in making relevant radios for today's market.

So all in all, wait! Unless you simply have to upgrade, just because.
Thanks for the informative post.
I'm in no hurry to upgrade, as you say 'the DX9 is fine at present'. I guess my only reservations on waiting for the latest and greatest, is there is is always something better around the corner in this hobby. You'd never buy anything if you waited for the next best thing. Plus the DS-16 has been tried and trusted over the past few years. Also, the DS-24 would most likely be overkill for my applications and the DS-16 is already at the top end of my budget.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkievan View Post
The DS-24 would most likely be overkill for my applications and the DS-16 is already at the top end of my budget.
Other than a nice color screen (bling) and more channels than most of us need, I wounder if the DS-24 will offer any more features that would make a difference over the DS-16? I recently bought a DS-16 and doubt that I would have the patience to wait for who knows how long now that I know what I am missing not having a Jeti radio.
FrankFuss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2015, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks FrankFuss, and I tend to agree. If it were an update/V2 DS-16 then yes, I'd wait. I think i'm leaning toward the DS-16.

As per my OP, I'm struggling to decipher what Rx's I'm going to need for my fleet, as per above. I've not had any experience with PPM (or S-bus for that matter) so it's a bit confusing.

I'd appreciate any advice with this.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You need the Jeti Duplex EX R3 receiver for UDI input to the SK720BE or PPM input to the BD3sx. You can also use PPM for the SK720BE, but PPM is analog and UDI is digital. You might also want to check out the Spirit FBL which use Jeti EX-Bus protocol and can be programmed from the Jeti transmitter. In fact I had such good luck with the Spirit FBL on one Align 450L, I am replacing the SK720BE on my other Align 450L with one. The Spirit FBL has the same rescue functionality as the BD3sx (i.e., self level and a collective climb out). It is only $232 at Esprit Model.

The only disappointment I had with the Jeti DS-16 is the feel of the smooth throttle tension. On my DX9 the smooth throttle tensioner wheel was cast plastic and very smooth, but the Jeti's smooth throttle tensioner wheel is machined and not perfectly smooth. After smoothing the tensioner wheel and using teflon tape on the tensioner I now have the throttle tension feeling perfect.

Last edited by FrankFuss; 03-17-2015 at 12:05 PM..
Old 03-17-2015, 02:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great. Thanks for the info, just the confirmation I needed. The more I read and hear about the Jeti, the more impressed I am with how versatile it is

I guess spending a premium does actually mean 'you get what you pay for' for this Tx.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only thing I could add to the posts above is this. I am certain that if you offered to give any DS-16 owner the full purchase price back, and give them a DX9 or some other radio ( let's keep the $3000 JR out of this, I don't know anything about that one) for free, no charge at all, they will all turn you down. Going backwards after owning a JETI just isn't an option. It's like trading your smartphone in for a flip phone. Waiting in the the times we live in for the "next" newer model is a trap also, as many times you get caught on the bleeding edge. I imagine the new Jeti radio will be sold at a high price for the first year. But either way, that's a year you could have enjoyed a fantastic DS model. You'll be happy as long as it doesn't hurt you financially, and only you can answer that.
Logo 800 // Logo 700 12S/14S// Logo 690 // Logo 400 // Mostro 700E's// Whiplash 700E// Gaui NX7 // Gaui NX4 // Gaui X4 // Gaui X3 //Goblin 570 // Trex 250 // TBS Discovery /Naza M2 // Jeti DS-16 // V Control // Jlog // BD3SX// VBar Neo// Lifetime AMA
guyguerra is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guyguerra,

Appreciate the advice. No, finance isn't an issue(to a point) but I did budget this money for good electrics in a new heli. However, I bought the multi camera platform in between time and would like a more capable Tx for its full operation. The Heli can wait, as I've already got 2.

Again, thanks for your post.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

I bought my DS16 used and became so attached to it that I sold it and bought the Air Force model. I am really done buying heli stuff other than small things as I have too much and my good Helis are as good as they can be, but this radio floored me. I have been saying "this is my last" big purchase, and I believe it every time I say it. I laugh at myself when something happens like this, but this is a hobby to bring joy to us, and a premium radio like this certainly does.
All the best
Guy
Logo 800 // Logo 700 12S/14S// Logo 690 // Logo 400 // Mostro 700E's// Whiplash 700E// Gaui NX7 // Gaui NX4 // Gaui X4 // Gaui X3 //Goblin 570 // Trex 250 // TBS Discovery /Naza M2 // Jeti DS-16 // V Control // Jlog // BD3SX// VBar Neo// Lifetime AMA

Last edited by guyguerra; 03-19-2015 at 09:09 AM..
guyguerra is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have purchased all of my Jeti equipment from Esprit but there is now an agent in Australia. Not sure how the exchange and shipping work out for you between Oz and NZ vs USA and NZ but it does give you another option.

https://www.hyperionaustralia.com.au.../JETI+PRODUCTS

//Dennis.
Jrami608 likes this.
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks ThunderFighter. I'll take a look.

-Edit- Wow, you guys in aussie pay quite a bit more than elsewhere. It will cost me a little over $2000nzd shipped from the states. If I buy from aussie it will be $2450NZD.

Last edited by Bonkievan; 03-19-2015 at 04:33 PM..
Old 03-19-2015, 07:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
EspritModel.com

Quote:
Thanks ThunderFighter. I'll take a look.

-Edit- Wow, you guys in aussie pay quite a bit more than elsewhere. It will cost me a little over $2000nzd shipped from the states. If I buy from aussie it will be $2450NZD.
And it gets better, we would gladly trade you for that "special" ring of yours I think made in Mordor.

Zb/Jeti USA
Esprit Model is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2015, 01:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
And it gets better, we would gladly trade you for that "special" ring of yours I think made in Mordor.

Zb/Jeti USA
I've got other 'things' to trade if you give me a good deal
However, unfortunately I pawned the ring off to pay for this months cell phone bill.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
......... if you give me a good deal
I take the silence as a no
Old 03-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
EspritModel.com

Quote:
I've got other 'things' to trade if you give me a good deal
However, unfortunately I pawned the ring off to pay for this months cell phone bill.
Bad move, I guess no flying for you.
You will spend tons of time in the dog cage
Never ever take anything back from your women.

Radio is already super affordable.

Zb/Esprit Model
Esprit Model is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

It sounds like a complicated problem, it is not a matter of what brand of radio, the decision is what model of Jeti transmitter.
TopSecret is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The EX R3 is a three channel receiver, is that enough channels to connect the SK720BE? 3 cyclic, 1 rudder, throttle hold, bank switching. That's six channels at a minimum. Not sure I understand that. Does UDI give access to more than the three channels of the rx?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankFuss View Post
You need the Jeti Duplex EX R3 receiver for UDI input to the SK720BE or PPM input to the BD3sx. You can also use PPM for the SK720BE, but PPM is analog and UDI is digital. You might also want to check out the Spirit FBL which use Jeti EX-Bus protocol and can be programmed from the Jeti transmitter. In fact I had such good luck with the Spirit FBL on one Align 450L, I am replacing the SK720BE on my other Align 450L with one. The Spirit FBL has the same rescue functionality as the BD3sx (i.e., self level and a collective climb out). It is only $232 at Esprit Model.

The only disappointment I had with the Jeti DS-16 is the feel of the smooth throttle tension. On my DX9 the smooth throttle tensioner wheel was cast plastic and very smooth, but the Jeti's smooth throttle tensioner wheel is machined and not perfectly smooth. After smoothing the tensioner wheel and using teflon tape on the tensioner I now have the throttle tension feeling perfect.
sctholson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2015, 12:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctholson View Post
The EX R3 is a three channel receiver, is that enough channels to connect the SK720BE? 3 cyclic, 1 rudder, throttle hold, bank switching. That's six channels at a minimum. Not sure I understand that. Does UDI give access to more than the three channels of the rx?
Yes, UDI gives you at least seven channels, which is all you need for the SK720BE.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Scott?? Jeti?? What's going on here? [emoji3]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in