Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2016, 06:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
HF Support

Default AMA - FAA Registration Update 2016-01-19

[THE WARNINGS ARE RESCINDED, BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO BE NICE AND ON TOPIC]

NOTE: This is a HF Support thread for the discussion of the AMA recommendations on FAA SUAS registration. Political comments, political blame, red vs. blue, personal attacks and grand standing comments will be moved and you will be infracted.

Remember: Fun, learning, friendship and mutual respect.

Sent via E-mail

Members required to register with FAA

AMA members are now required by regulation to register their aircraft with the FAA to avoid federal enforcement and potential penalties. All Radio Control modelers must register aircraft weighing greater than 0.55 pounds online no later than February 19, 2016. The registration fee is $5. However, FAA is offering free registration when registering on or before midnight EST on January 21. Online registration can be accomplished on the FAA webpage at, RegisterMyUAS.faa.gov . Several AMA staff members and AMA leaders have been working with legal counsel and the FAA to find a solution for our members on the registration rule. To date, FAA has agreed in principle to several proposed initiatives that will help ease this process for our members in the future. Visit modelaircraft.org/gov to learn more.

Link to Previous (2016-01-11) Update

Link to FAA Registration Screen Captures
Helis and MRs wrecked while-U-wait since 2008-05-27

Last edited by Creaky Cactus; 02-19-2016 at 08:29 AM..
Creaky Cactus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson
tstivers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2016, 07:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

AMA - FAA Registration Update 2016-01-19
NOTE: This is a HF Support thread for the discussion of the AMA recommendations on FAA SUAS registration. Political comments, political blame, red vs. blue, personal attacks and grand standing comments will be moved and you will be infracted.

Sent via E-mail

Ummm Creaky.
That E-mail notice was posted 4 days ago in the other thread ...
AMA - FAA Registration Update 2016-01-11
Just thought you should know.

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Let me see if I've got this straight. Being a member of the AMA has now insured that I am punished by the FAA should I choose not to comply because the AMA will share with the FAA the names of its members? Is that correct?
johnsma22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

********** AMA, COULD YOU PLEASE GET IT RIGHT ALREADY? Nobody is required to register their aircrart. Please stop ********* the FAA and start spreading facts instead of the same misinformation the faa is spreading.

Last edited by rovpilot26; 01-22-2016 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: Removed offensive content
kuroguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroguy View Post
GOD DAMMIT AMA, COULD YOU PLEASE GET IT RIGHT ALREADY? Nobody is required to register their aircrart. Please stop phellating the FAA and start spreading facts instead of the same misinformation the faa is spreading.
AMA members are now required by regulation to register their aircraft with the FAA to avoid federal enforcement and potential penalties. All Radio Control modelers must register aircraft weighing greater than 0.55 pounds online no later than February 19, 2016.

+1 Get this right its been talked to death and we still can't get it right.

Pilots must be registered not aircraft!!!!!!!!!!!
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
AMA - FAA Registration Update 2016-01-19

Sent via E-mail

Ummm Creaky.
That E-mail notice was posted 4 days ago in the other thread ...
AMA - FAA Registration Update 2016-01-11
Just thought you should know.
You are correct. In fact, YOU are the one who posted it first and the above is a cut and paste from your post. As this represents a change in AMA's recommendation, it warrants a new thread.

(I meant to do it a few days ago... but real life intervened)
Helis and MRs wrecked while-U-wait since 2008-05-27
Creaky Cactus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creaky Cactus View Post
You are correct. In fact, YOU are the one who posted it first and the above is a cut and paste from your post. As this represents a change in AMA's recommendation, it warrants a new thread.

(I meant to do it a few days ago... but real life intervened)
No excuses allowed from volunteers who donate their time for free to moderate and maintain the forum.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstivers View Post
No excuses allowed from volunteers who donate their time for free to moderate and maintain the forum.
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well that went downhill fast

Here's my two cents. If you feel I'm wrong or an apologist for the AMA please feel free to disregard my post for what it cost you to read it

The AMA was never conflicted. They initially wanted to see if they could get anything changed and it was a longshot at best. Had they been successful, those AMA members who chose could have their membership suffice as an alternative to FAA registration. When it became clear that even though they had an agreement in principle with the FAA there would not be time to accomplish this before February. Therefore the AMA issued the secondary statement in time to avoid paying the $5 for those who find it a big deal. Personally I'm waiting until the last moment in the hopes that at least the language on the registration page can become slightly less egregious, something again the FAA has indicated they will do. I still do not believe that there is evidence that the AMA is going to be directing individual clubs play the part of enforcer.

There will always be those who are angry and looking for someone to blame. I would simply ask any who would consider it to sit down, take a breath and consider for just a moment what the AMA has done for this hobby over the last 80 years. Even if you disagree with AMA leaderships current topical stance is walking away in anger really doing anything that helps any of us long term?

Interesting side note. If you read the history of the CAA the forerunner of the FAA that was founded in 1926 there was very similar public outcry from many of overbearing federal regulation. Personally I think I could effectively argue that overall the history of FAA and public working together has had a net positive effect on transportation safety. Even though I often disagree with current FAA practices.

If this is too much of a political statement I'll gladly take it down
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2016, 10:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Graham View Post

Here's my two cents. If you feel I'm wrong or an apologist for the AMA please feel free to disregard my post for what it cost you to read it

The AMA was never conflicted. They initially wanted to see if they could get anything changed and it was a longshot at best. Had they been successful, those AMA members who chose could have their membership suffice as an alternative to FAA registration. When it became clear that even though they had an agreement in principle with the FAA there would not be time to accomplish this before February. Therefore the AMA issued the secondary statement in time to avoid paying the $5 for those who find it a big deal. Personally I'm waiting until the last moment in the hopes that at least the language on the registration page can become slightly less egregious, something again the FAA has indicated they will do. I still do not believe that there is evidence that the AMA is going to be directing individual clubs play the part of enforcer.

There will always be those who are angry and looking for someone to blame. I would simply ask any who would consider it to sit down, take a breath and consider for just a moment what the AMA has done for this hobby over the last 80 years. Even if you disagree with AMA leaderships current topical stance is walking away in anger really doing anything that helps any of us long term?

Interesting side note. If you read the history of the CAA the forerunner of the FAA that was founded in 1926 there was very similar public outcry from many of overbearing federal regulation. Personally I think I could effectively argue that overall the history of FAA and public working together has had a net positive effect on transportation safety. Even though I often disagree with current FAA practices.

This is pretty much my take as well.

As far as registering pilots vs drones, I'm pretty convinced at this point that the long term plan is to have us include models into the website then all the written stuff will be magically correct. It just seems too coincidental to me the site is called "Register my UAS" and the button is labeled "Register my Drone".

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2016, 10:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

At this point I believe all viewpoints have been expressed and/or vented.

If you had something important to say, hopefully you were constructive about it and sent the FAA your comments, or contacted your congressman or anyone else in a position where they could influence the rule making.

To those of you who used all means available to you to help influence the outcome, I thank you!

To those of you who feel the need to continue to vent, I hope that you can find peace and move on. If not I hope that you realize that continuing to express your displeasure just makes HF a less positive place to visit.

We are here hopefully because we really enjoy RC Helis and everything about them. In that context the sooner we can move on and go back to just enjoying this hobby the better.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
At least the benefits are good...if you're a masochist.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2016, 10:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Graham View Post

Regardless of what they've done in the past, the fact is they're helping to enforce something that I disagree with, regardless of whether they're doing it on purpose or not.

I'm entirely hip to the idea that they may be cooperating simply because not cooperating could have negative consequences such as fields being shut down etc.

It's not walking away out of anger. It's choosing not to support someone who's helping to enforce a rule/law/regulation that I disagree with. I'm angry, for sure. But I doubt the AMA wrote the law. Therefore, I'm not angry with the AMA. I'm angry with the FAA.

I'm sure the NSA has done things to help the country in the past as well. But the fact is the NSA is currently monitoring almost all internet communications and traffic. Should we excuse their blatant disregard for privacy just because they've done good things in the past?

I bet if you dig into it, a good part of the reason the FAA has had a net positive gain in the past, rather than just running things however they see fit, is because the public fought for what they wanted. The public probably didn't just lay down and let the FAA make the rules. The public fought for what they wanted, and made the FAA change things to be more acceptable. That's how a democracy works. That's why we have the right to protest.

That's why we should choose not to follow laws that are unjust. You can only enforce a law if the majority of citizens decide to follow said law. If the majority of citizens disobey an unjust law, it becomes very difficult to enforce, and the law must be changed so that the majority will accept and follow it.

I don't want to get too deep into politics here, but part of the reason the government is in it's current state is because too few citizens understand the power of peacefully disobeying unjust laws, and too few are willing to protest and fight for what they believe in or feel is right.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone made a petition on Change.org at least? That would be the first step in getting this noticed and something done to change it. If nobody else has made one or is willing to, then I'll go ahead and make one.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Has anyone made a petition on Change.org at least? That would be the first step in getting this noticed and something done to change it. If nobody else has made one or is willing to, then I'll go ahead and make one.
Yes.

https://www.change.org/p/federal-avi...t-registration
Graupner MZ-32

Old 01-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
Did you create the petition?

Is there a thread on HF about this petition? Is there any chance we could get this included in the OP of this thread? I think it would help turn this into something more constructive than a bunch of people arguing over whether or not we should follow the law, and whether or not the AMA has worded things correctly.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Did you create the petition?

Is there a thread on HF about this petition? Is there any chance we could get this included in the OP of this thread? I think it would help turn this into something more constructive than a bunch of people arguing over whether or not we should follow the law, and whether or not the AMA has worded things correctly.
No, I did not. And the petition was started by someone who was banned at one time. I don't recall if we let him back in.

Go ahead and start a thread about it if you're so inclined. I'll sticky it.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 01-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
No, I did not. And the petition was started by someone who was banned at one time. I don't recall if we let him back in.
Well if anyone has a way of getting ahold of this person, I feel a few things should be added to the petition.

Why the law is ineffective and should be changed. Such as the fact that forcing law abiding pilots to register is not going to do anything to stop unlawful pilots from causing harm/damage.

And the fact that the legality of what the FAA is doing is questionable.

Those two important facts seem to be missing from the petition, and those are the main reasons why the law should be changed. Without them I feel like the petition won't be very effective.

Also, what section would this thread best be put in?
Old 01-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I created a thread in this section. If it should be moved then feel free to move it. But I feel the only place it's going to get any exposure is here so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in