Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50 > Titan X50

Titan X50 Thunder Tiger Titan X50 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
It doesn't. But you would control the governor with either the Gear or Aux2 channel (using programmable mixes), whichever one you're not using for the gyro gain.

I normally have a free aux2 channel available. Will I need to set up a program mix to operate the rev limiter built into the 7100R? I'm down loading the AR7100R manual now to study up on it a bit.
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #22 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladecpnitro View Post
I normally have a free aux2 channel available. Will I need to set up a program mix to operate the rev limiter built into the 7100R? I'm down loading the AR7100R manual now to study up on it a bit.
Yes, programmable mixes. The procedure is described in the manual. If the basic setup isn't enough, there are some write-ups here that show how to do more and tie the mixes to the flight mode switch.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I down loaded the Ar7100R manual and read through it. On a Trex 600 they were using JR 8717s on cyclic good for 6 volts with a 2S 7.4 v 2100 mah lipo. If I understand correctly 7.4 v goes strait through to the cyclic servos. They didn't say if they used an additional regulator anywhere.

This is the Spektrum staffs setup and milliamps used per flight.

Helicopter -T-REX 600N
Servos - 3-JR8717’s, 1-8900G (rudder), 1-8317 (throttle)
Batteries - 1- 2100mAh 2-cell 7.4-volt LiPo
Engine - YS50
Flight envelope - Aggressive 3D
Average current - 1.15 amps
Peak current - 3.33 amps
Milliamps used per 8 minute flight- 173mAh
Old 01-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #24 (permalink)

My HF Map location

True that whatever voltage you have going into the receiver will be what the cyclic servos will receive.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:33 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That looks about right for flybar, add about 100 to 150Mah for fbl!
My X50 with AR7100R, GT5 and Spektrum H6040 servos uses about 280 to 320Mah in a ten minute flight depending on how hard I smack it!
I have done ten flights on my 3600Mah Kongpower packs with no noticeable voltage sag due to the low current draw relative to the C rating of the pack and the bullet proof high current power bus of the 7100R. Not good for the pack though!
Ely.Q Vision 50
NitroAl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Bob O, are you talking about HV Turnigy servos? I was trying to find exactly the servo your talking about.

I suppose you can run a 2S 7.4 V lipo with no regulator on the HV servos. If I did go the regulator route and 7.4 V Lipo what would be a good light weight regulator??? Or do I just need a BEC??

I just saw The Heli I want go for 500.00 on RCgroups, hopefully another one will come down the pike when I get some change scraped up. It has over $500.00 worth of servos and gyro on it.

For Sale Titan X50

Comes less reciever and battery
redline 53 with smoothie pipe
solid g gyro
atg governor
9253/54 tail servo
4x bls 451's
Black carbon align blades
Carbon boom
canopy Is ok
One skid Is cracked
500.00 shipped In lower 48
Old 01-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #27 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I didn't mention a specific HV servo, just that I wanted to go with HV servos this year.

I just scored a full set of Torq HV servos last night, so I'll be running straight 2S LiPo into my receiver this year.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I see, your talking in general High Voltage servos like this Hitec HS 5685 MG
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LH7859
works with 7.4 v lipos strait no regulator. 0.17 sec/60° @ 7.4V

The Align Ds 610 is much faster though than the Hitec HV at only 6 volts, its 0.08/ 60deg.

Quote:
I didn't mention a specific HV servo, just that I wanted to go with HV servos this year.

I just scored a full set of Torq HV servos last night, so I'll be running straight 2S LiPo into my receiver this year.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #29 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Well, that particular Hi-tec HV servo isn't a fast one.

Take a look at THIS one.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is fast ............Speed (6.0V/7.4V):0.07 / 0.06 . The Heli would flip on a dime with those servos.

I've heard of people using 10 amp Castle Creations BEC's to regulate their Nitro Heli also making it possible to use 5v to 25v - 2S to 6S lipos. Have you heard of or know anyone doing this? One guy I read about was doing pitch pumps on the ground and made his RX shut off so elected not to use it but others say they have used one over a year with no problems. I guess its weakness might be the amps it can handle. If you had 3 servos at 8 v working really hard it might draw too much amperage.

Looks like this is the deal here. The Arizona Heli Regulator is rated to provide around 17.5 amps when supplying 6v output
http://heligeek.com/wordpress/?page_id=311
I'm a good ways from needing this type of stuff but its interesting to learn about.

Also the Align B6T 2 in 1 is nice with its remote glow wire which eliminates the need for an external glow plug igniter. There is a button to press that will ignite the glow plug for 15 seconds. Way cool!!
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tage-Regulator

Here is the manual for it http://www.freakware.de/technik/Alig...gulator_en.pdf, it would be nice if I could use my 2200 mah 11.1v lipos that I use on my EXI 450 but its limited to 2S packs. The Arizona may be better even without the glow wire.

Quote:
Take a look at THIS one.

Last edited by Bladecpnitro; 01-09-2012 at 07:07 AM..
Bladecpnitro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Wow! I found The Perfect Regulator

LOl ! Here is the perfect regulator. http://helidirect.com/perfect-regula...or-p-18844.hdx And ironically is actually named "The Perfect Regulator". It handles 2 and 3 cell lipo's, 7.4 to 11.1 V lipos and regulates from 5.2v to 8.5v. @ 10 amps. That means I could just borrow a battery from my EXI 450 when I'm flying the Nitro and not have to buy more batteries for my Nitro. Actually I have 2 - 11.1 1300 Mah lipos from my retired Blade SR that I could use too.

Its a little pricy but it frees you up to use some of your existing lipos. Has anyone tried one?
Old 01-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #32 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Only problem with using 3S 2200 mAh batteries is the added weight, unless that doesn't matter to you. Regarding the 1300 size, depending upon how many mAh you use per flight, you might only get 1 or 2 flights per small pack.

Not sure about canopy clearance on the 600N.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh yeah that extra cell adds a lot of bulk and weight to the battery doesn't it? An Align3S 11.1 V 2250 /40C weighs 170Gr, and a Pro-Tec 2S 7.4V 2300 receiver battery weighs 87 gr. That may be why they stick to the 2S lipos, you can have more mahs with less weight.

To run 8.5v+ you have to use an 11.1v lipo with this Perfect Reg though. I guess one could use smaller ones and change them out a little more frequently. Even a 1500 mah 3S lipo weighs around 135gr.

I like the idea of no regulator, HV servos, 2S 7.4 v lipo with the Ar 7100R the best. Even though I've heard of people running their Align DS 610 servos with a 7.4 battery hooked strait to the receiver with no reg and no problems , some have burned them up instantly. Somewhere I heard Alan Szabo runs his Align servos at 8v, he said its sort of a do at your own risk thing.

A 123 life battery like this with the AR7100R would also run the Align 610s with no regulator right?
http://www.hobbypartz.com/a1syrx62slil.html

Its a pretty neat flexible regulator even for the guy with minimum volt servos, you can use (Ni-Cd, Ni-Mh, Li-Ion and Li-Po with it. Here is a link to one at Amain Hobbies
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...or-16awg-Deans
Perfect Regulator Specifications

• Minimum Input Voltage: 7.4v
  • Suggested Input Voltage: 7.4v - 11.1v
  • Main Output Voltage w/7.4v: Adjustable 5.2v - 6.5v @ 10A
  • Main Output Voltage w/11.1v: Adjustable 5.2v - 8.5v+ @ 10A
  • Gyro/Tail Output Voltage: 5v @ 1.5A
  • Max. Main Amp Rating: 16A
  • Max. Gyro/Tail Amp Rating: 3A
  • Heatsink Material: Aluminum
  • Length of Lead Plugs: 6" Each
  • Plug Type: Universal
  • Size: 60mm x 30mm x 9mm
  • Weight: 33.5g
Old 01-10-2012, 01:05 AM   #34 (permalink)

My HF Map location

The A123 is another heavy battery. If you're going to run HV servos, the best bet is to just run straight 2S LiPo.

If you're going to run 6V servos, I would still use a 2S LiPo to keep weight down, and regulate the voltage going to the receiver.

Weight is a huge consideration here because the battery is placed in the nose of the bird. It doesn't take much weight in either direction to make the bird nose or tail heavy.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #35 (permalink)
dch
Registered Users

Default My Titan X50 TT Project

After I finish maintenance on my Raptor 30 V2, I have a Titan X50 waiting to be built with the following setup:

Engine: OS 55HZ-H
Receiver: Spektrum A7100R w/ Rev Limiter
Cyclic Servos: Hitec HS-5685MH (3)
Throttle Servo: Hitec HS-325HB
Tail Servo: Savox SH-1290MG
Gyro: Futaba GY-701 (used from a fellow RC Heli Pilot who went flybarless)
Receiver Power: Thunder Power 2s 7.4v 2100mah G6 Pro Lite 25C Lipo
Main Blades: Mavrikk 600mm G5 Pro VST Flybar (eventually)
Tail Blades: stock
Transmitter: JR 9503 Heli Version (Christmas gift)

The Raptor 30 V2 is my first nitro heli after flying several electrics and I started it on a budget but with the Titan X50TT, I wanted to go balls to the wall. I mostly fly scale and aerobatic style not 3D but if I decide to fly 3D, the X50 will be ready for the challenge.

Bladecpnitro: Good Luck in your build.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello dch, so you plan to not use a regulator either? I think HV servos coupled with the AR7100R is the best setup going. A regulator is one more thing to fail and leave you with no servos although it probably rarely happens.

The Align B6T 2 in 1 Voltage Regulator sounds enticing with its push button glow built in. Input voltage: DC 7.4V 2cell Lithium battery that would allow for running Align DS 620's at 6v - 0.07sec/60°(6.0V)
  • Output voltage: 5.8V(Receiver/servo) 1.5V(Glow plug)
  • Max. continuous current: 6A(Receiver/servo) 5A(Glow plug)
That Savox you mentioned for your rudder servo is the fastest I've ever seen at 4.8V - Speed(@4.8V - : 0.06sec/60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dch View Post
After I finish maintenance on my Raptor 30 V2, I have a Titan X50 waiting to be built with the following setup:

Engine: OS 55HZ-H
Receiver: Spektrum A7100R w/ Rev Limiter
Cyclic Servos: Hitec HS-5685MH (3)
Throttle Servo: Hitec HS-325HB
Tail Servo: Savox SH-1290MG
Gyro: Futaba GY-701 (used from a fellow RC Heli Pilot who went flybarless)
Receiver Power: Thunder Power 2s 7.4v 2100mah G6 Pro Lite 25C Lipo
Main Blades: Mavrikk 600mm G5 Pro VST Flybar (eventually)
Tail Blades: stock
Transmitter: JR 9503 Heli Version (Christmas gift)

The Raptor 30 V2 is my first nitro heli after flying several electrics and I started it on a budget but with the Titan X50TT, I wanted to go balls to the wall. I mostly fly scale and aerobatic style not 3D but if I decide to fly 3D, the X50 will be ready for the challenge.

Bladecpnitro: Good Luck in your build.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Bob, here is where Alan Szabo said he is running 8 v to his DS 610s for over 100 flights. Lotsa folk are doing it. Thats 7.4 v 2S lipo no regulator.
http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t4...light=ds610+8v

On youtube he said later that he had gotten over 150 flights with no 610 failures. If one of his quit he can probably get it down with 2 though I imagine. I'd be screwed.

Quote:
The A123 is another heavy battery. If you're going to run HV servos, the best bet is to just run straight 2S LiPo.

If you're going to run 6V servos, I would still use a 2S LiPo to keep weight down, and regulate the voltage going to the receiver.

Weight is a huge consideration here because the battery is placed in the nose of the bird. It doesn't take much weight in either direction to make the bird nose or tail heavy.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #38 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Yeah, I know Alan Sz has been doing that for a while, same with a lot of guys without any issues. Just as with anything else though, if it makes YOU feel uncomfortable, you're not likely to follow suit. I "felt" a lot better with a constant 6V to my Align servos, which is why I ran with the regulator. With the HV servos this year, I won't use one.

Also, I'll be using a Pushglo for the igniter this year.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #39 (permalink)
dch
Registered Users

Of course the AR7100R has the regulator portion on the receiver and with the additional regulator I would have to install for a regular receiver, would be one more thing to go bad. I have a AR7000 with an Align Regulator system on my Raptor 30 V2. I just wanted to try something else on the Titan X50.

I have heard great things about Savox Servos from my flying buddies, being used in planes and helis and they love them. So why not try one.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I personally can't afford to burn up a $67.99 Align DS 610 servo and just throw another one on either to run it at 8v.

I like the idea of the Pushglo a lot, it looks really simple and light weight. I see it comes with an alligator clip to hook to the glow plug. I assume that stays hooked up at all times??
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...igator-Pigtail

Also a cheaper option is the chargeable glo driver
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFAQ8wIwAg
That would be just one more thing to carry to the field come flying time.

I need to hurry up and rake up some money so I can get my build started. I know a lot of people are leaving Nitro but there is something always wrong with electric Helis too, You fly a while and mechanic a while you know.

Quote:
Yeah, I know Alan Sz has been doing that for a while, same with a lot of guys without any issues. Just as with anything else though, if it makes YOU feel uncomfortable, you're not likely to follow suit. I "felt" a lot better with a constant 6V to my Align servos, which is why I ran with the regulator. With the HV servos this year, I won't use one.

Also, I'll be using a Pushglo for the igniter this year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in