Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50 > Titan X50

Titan X50 Thunder Tiger Titan X50 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
I have a friend who uses 20% on his T-Rex 600 w/ OS-55. He does mild sport flying and hovering, that's it. 20% gives plenty of power for that. Plus at the lower HS he runs, he gets longer flight times. So, cheaper fuel and longer flight time is good.

Speaking of head speed, depending on the motor you use I suppose you have to use various types of gearing on a Nitro just like you do an electric?

I haven't thought about that much but what is a good head speed for the Titan X50?
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #62 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladecpnitro View Post
Speaking of head speed, depending on the motor you use I suppose you have to use various types of gearing on a Nitro just like you do an electric?

I haven't thought about that much but what is a good head speed for the Titan X50?
AFAIK, the gearing on this model is not adjustable. On the Velocity 50 I had, there was a main gear option (186T and 188T) so you could use the gear that best suited the engine you were using. The frames had slots for the motor mount and clutch stack so you could adjust the gear mesh properly.

What HS you end up running depends largely upon your flying style. I suspect 2,100 RPM would be good for all-out performance as with most 600 nitros.

The X50 has an 8.5:1 gear ratio, so you can determine your engine's RPM if you know your HS. 2,100 HS with this ratio will have your motor spinning 17,850 RPM. So it helps to know where your motor makes it's peak Hp. With the OS-55, that would be 17,500 RPM. I've never had a problem running my OS-55 a bit above peak. Heck, Bert Kammerer was and maybe still is running his OS-55 at around 18,900 on the Velocity 50N2.

If you're just sport flying or doing orientations, etc., a lower HS would be in order. I have Stunt 1 and 2 set for different head speeds. I have Stunt 1 set for 100 less HS than Stunt 2. I use Stunt 1 for sport flying, mild 3D, and upright and inverted FF and RF work.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It may be possible that the 8.7:1 option gears for the raptor will fit but I don't know that I would bother. At 8.5:1 most 50 size motors will be happy between 1800 and 2250rpm head speed when well tuned!
If the power is higher in the rev range just run a higher head speed and less collective and it should hold OK!
Ely.Q Vision 50
NitroAl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Titan X50 autorotation pitch settings

How are you guys setting your Throttle Hold pitch curves to do autorotations on the Titan X50?
Old 01-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #65 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Normally you would want a linear pitch curve for TH, 0-25-50-75-100. This way you get the full negative collective range in case you need to speed up the head during the auto.

That's what I used last year and will continue to use. When I first started doing autos from up high (200+ feet), I would literally look at the collective stick to make sure I was into the negative. It's too easy to just lower the stick and think you're in the negative when actually you're just at mid stick (0 degrees), which isn't good enough to maintain HS in an auto.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

What does it take about 25% throttle stick for upright and 75% for inverted autos?
Old 01-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #67 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Maybe 2 or 3 degrees upright, depends upon angle of attack, forward speed, rate of descent, etc.

I don't do inverted autos yet.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just use a linear pitch curve like BobO but it can be a trap if you are just learning auto's!
Check out the SmackTalk video on auto's, Bert and Bobby cover all aspects of auto's including throttle and pitch!
Ely.Q Vision 50
Old 01-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
Maybe 2 or 3 degrees upright, depends upon angle of attack, forward speed, rate of descent, etc.

I don't do inverted autos yet.

Thats like barely having the stick below the 50 % mark then maybe closer to 40% throttle for upright idles. I may check that with a pitch gauge and see where the stick should be to get 2 to 3 degrees of negative pitch.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroAl View Post
I just use a linear pitch curve like BobO but it can be a trap if you are just learning auto's!
Check out the SmackTalk video on auto's, Bert and Bobby cover all aspects of auto's including throttle and pitch!

I will watch that. I saw a vid featuring Bobby Watts demonstrating 20 something ways to auto the other day that was amazing on You Tube.

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

I practice autos every day on Phoenix sim but the sim doesnt' seem to be dead on with autos. Ive seen folks come in upside down close to the ground and still jump up pretty high to flip back over and the sim just barely lets you get back over if at all if you come in low upside down with the Aurora Ultimate 90.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I planned to use a Quark gyro but what is the best gyro to use on these Titan X50 Helis? I basically had heard all the good reviews on Quark gyros and saw the gyro poll here on Helifreak to make that choice but noticed in the following comments that some people don't like MEMS gyros on Nitro Heli's.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I can't say that I have ever had an issue with a MEMS gyro on nitro, Although I prefer the GY520 (just set it up and fly) and SolidG the Quark is an awesome gyro and most I know who have tried it are happy!
Ely.Q Vision 50
Old 01-29-2012, 05:34 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey NitroAl, the Futaba 520 is a nice looking small and maybe the easiest gyro in the world to setup from what I've seen, plus they handle digital and analog servos. Thanks to so many people going FBL, Futaba GY 520's are going for 70 bucks in the classifieds. I may try one of those. Thanks
Old 01-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #74 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Both are top notch gyros. I've used them both, the GY520 on the 600N I had. And the Quark on the Velocity 50 I had. Both performed flawlessly.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Quark is for digital servos only isnt Bob?
Old 01-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #76 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
The Quark is for digital servos only isnt Bob?
Correct.

http://www.spartan-rc.com/resources/...22&category=22
Old 01-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Bob the Futaba 701 gyro/gov combo will work with spectrum won't it? I use a DX7 currently.

On my HK 250 I have a Spartan Quark with an MKS 480 Mg servo on rudder and love it. It was really easy to set up and flies pretty darn good in rate mode too. In fact I flew it in rate mode a week before I knew it since the manual suggests starting at 30 gain and that a setting above 45 should not be needed. Maybe they were referring to mechanically adjusting the rudder linkage in rate mode. I'd love to try one on the Titan X50.

More Synergy E7 / Futaba CGY750 - Kyle Stacy (4 min 59 sec)
Old 01-31-2012, 09:31 AM   #78 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Hey Bob the Futaba 701 gyro/gov combo will work with spectrum won't it? I use a DX7 currently. SNIP
According to the manual, you can connect it to a regular receiver or an S.Bus receiver. It didn't specifically mention Spektrum, but it didn't say Futaba only.

My guess would be that it would work with other systems.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am only few days from ordering X50 kit.
Going with belt version (likely).
Full Savox build (SC-1258 - cyclics; SC-1257 - throttle; SH-1290MG - tail).
Gyro probably Futaba GY520.
No governor i will try using curves.
Only battery and BEC i am not sure yet.Originally i want LiFe and no BEC.

@Bladecpnitro : did you order parts yet or are you building it yet? Or still planning phase like me?
Old 02-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm still planning and saving right now KouDy. The Titan X50 is definitely what I want. I'd buy a good used one if I see one come up with the stuff I want on it but I'd rather just build one and put what I want on it.

Are you going to use a more basic RX or get the AR 7100R with a built in rev limiter?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in