Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics

JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics JR and Spektrum Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New DX6 vs. DX7, DX8, DX9?

As far as I understand, the DX6 is a step up from the current DX7 and DX8 in terms of telemetry, voice, and advanced programming. Is that correct? The only down-side is the loss of the extra channels.

As far as I can tell for heli flying the extra channels are not needed. Even for bank-switching/bailout FBL units like VBar and IKon allow you to use the gyro channel for bank switching (though it does add a bit of work to tune gyro gain since you need to do that in the banks using the SW). I think I can live with that (though someone let me know if they have a different opinion).

The second question that I have is if anyone knows about the internals (gimbals/pots) in the DX6 vs. the DX7, DX8, DX9. I have not been able to get a straight answer on that.
ryanha is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
DPW
Registered Users

Red face Telemetry, Gimbals, Pots Channels

I own /use 6i 7 7s 8
The 7 is history its no longer to be made (RIP) due to Tx failure issues. The only thing the 7 had that was its charging is light years better than all the rest with no internal charge circuitry. That allowed you to plug in a charger directly into the Tx and the charger controlled charging.
Telemetry
6 7s 8 9 all are the same and equipped with a built-in telemetry
Gimbals
6 7s 8 9 all have bearing gimbals on the 7 they were bushing but for 3$ I upgraded it to bearing.
Pots
I think they are all about the same pots. I have never seen a post stating the 6 7s 8 and 9 have better or different pots. Some Tx have more point curves but that is a programming function not a pot function.
Channels
I have 4 different 450 FBL controllers and I need more channels than the 6i or 6 to run my FBL controllers.

Last edited by DPW; 10-02-2014 at 07:50 PM..
DPW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I currentlt use a DX6, which has enough channels to fly all my FBL helis. The DX6 allows for four flight modes, including THold. The DX7 and 7s only allow for three including THold. The DX6 also has a backlight. The DX6 has three 3position switches, I use one for normal, st1 and st2 modes and another has three rates in for my giro so I can paly with different gyro settings without changing flight mode. All switches in the DX6 can be assigned to do different things, or everything can be assigned to one flight mode switch. The DX 6 has the same airware as the DX9 and can be updated via a SD card. The DX6 also boasts a 250 model memory that can be expanded using SD cards, each SD card can hold upto 50 models.
andycrazy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like the New Dx6 and the Dx9 have the upper hand. Now that I'm building a 550 heli my I'm finding my Dx7s a bit lacking. However I would never buy a 6ch radio for a heli, I always like to have a spare channel or 2 for future/larger setups.

The Dx7s and Dx8 are due for a refresh I think.
Jasons9 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2014, 02:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

just out of interest, why is the dx7s lacking ?

the only things i can think of is only having one idle up position and no backlight. but you actually only really need one idle up position and having a back light is over rated IMO. only the (really expensive) dx9 conclusively beats the dx7s (new dx6 hasnt the 'comfortable' minimum of channels needed...they should have made it 7 channels, but is more expensive, and the pricey dx8 (even used) is virtually the same as the much cheaper dx7s...and you dont need 8 channels for helis. so overall, i think the dx7s is the best of the bunch in terms of bang for buck...especially considering you can get a used one for not much more than a used dx6i
Old 10-22-2014, 06:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
DPW
Registered Users

Red face Color Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverland View Post
just out of interest, why is the dx7s lacking ?
+1 on DX7s
No need to up grade Tx once you own a 7s.
Own / Use 7s and 8
7s was a big jump from my 6i and 7. Dx8's LCD Backlight made a huge difference and I stopped using my 7s.
Recommendation:
If you own or are considering buying a 7s.
Buy
Turnigy 9X LCD Backlight Kit - Blue or Green (DIY) $4.99
470 ohm 1/4 watt resistor 5 for $1.50

After a 20 min blue Backlight Kit super simple 100% reversible install I now use the 7s as much as I use the 8.
but
Whats really a neat trick is LCD color. You can get red green blue orange white yellow violet kits for around 5$ and that trick hands down beats the 6 8 or 9 radios.

Last edited by DPW; 10-27-2014 at 05:38 AM..
DPW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New DX6 vs. DX7, DX8, DX9?

I've got a DX8 and the new DX6. The DX6 is great no doubt but I actually miss the vibration function as there are a lot of times when nitro engines are running (or flying with headphones for music) you can't hear the timer alarm. Also, I needed to assign Aux3 for my speed sensor and governor for my 700n DFC. Basically since I don't want to carry two radios, I went back with the DX8. My DX6 is now a backup/sim radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Baedarlboo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2015, 11:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default @ F modes?

As I recall, the DX7s has only two positions on its F.Mode switch. For me, that's a deal breaker.
Blade-T-Rex-Tarot- 450 and under-DX6-AMA#977655
intro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2015, 11:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

A big plus for the DX6 is it is way cheaper than the 7, 8, and 9's. Thr price jump just from a 6 to a 7 is stupid. I'm actually surprised they made the DX6 as good as it is...
HEXAHYDRATE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2015, 12:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEXAHYDRATE View Post
A big plus for the DX6 is it is way cheaper than the 7, 8, and 9's. Thr price jump just from a 6 to a 7 is stupid. I'm actually surprised they made the DX6 as good as it is...
Bait and switch.

Sucker you in, then you just need to have more for channels for gov (or lights, landing gear, rescue, etc...), vibrate alert, pots for tuning, etc... Now you already have Spek RX's you are loathe to switch to another brand.

You can fly most things well on a DX6, but when you are in boots and all, you just want more (and are willing to pay for it).

End of the the day, its the pilot not the TX that makes the difference. A poor pilot with a top of the line Jeti (>$2000) would still be outflown by a better pilot with a DX6. (<$200).

(I'm now a Taranis flier myself, but started with the DX line. Much longer story).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in