Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 60/70/90

Thunder Tiger 60/70/90 Raptor 60/70/90 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Raptor 70 tail servo twitching

I have an older Raptor 70 and having a problem with the tail servo twitching approx. 1/4 inch. The other servos are rock solid. I switched out the servo for a different one and got the same result so its not the servo. I am using a CSM 540 gyro that is probably 10 years old, a 6v lipoly with a regulator, and not using a govenor. I suspect the gyro due to its age, but not sure. Any ideas?
Thanks!
raptorpilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not familar w that gyro but my friend had one on his 600 and said the same thing (tail twitching) He ended up buying a new gyro and tail servo $$$ problem solved. I wouldn't have the money for that but that gyro is pretty old right?
djaypro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

yeah, the gyro itself if probably at least 8 years old. The CSM gyros are popular in the UK, and are supposed to be pretty good gyros. I think this one has seen better days. I bought the heli used and got a good price on it so can't complain too much. I think I will just replace it with a futaba 401.
thanks for the reply.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 401 is also old but still good I have a 401 with a9253 on the tail ,9202 on cyclic my heli is all old stuff still working on some of the issues with my cyclic.To slow for my flying style. Im thinking about moving the balls on the horn to speed it up, ""not sure".
I have a few other helis all have the 401 (except for my 250, 780 stock gyro I think) I have had problems with learning the setup and doesn't hold as well on my 450 but i see other friends fly with more exspensive gyro's and have the same problem. Make sure you use the right gyro tape. Thats been one of my problems. I fired up my R 70 today with the new mavrikk 680 blades on it. Was good fun.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

After ruling out several other things as the source of the problem, I have a new 401 ordered. I was planning on using the stock double sided foam tape that it comes with. What is the best way to mount the gyro?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have had several issues in the past with proper tape. I mount mine on the back above where the boom slips in the frame should come with some double stick GYRO TAPE. I always make sure I clean booth surfaces before putting the tape on. Try to do it in one shot so the adhesive on the tape is not compromised. If for any reason in flight your gyro was to come off you wouldn't be able to control your tail.
Hook your wires up to the receiver and your ready to set your sensitivity up. Look up the 401 in finless bob set up for that
Old 07-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the help! I should have it installed and test flown this weekend. I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The twitching servo problem is now completely resolved after replacing the gyro. Thanks for the help DJAYPRO. Now my only problem is a bad tail vibration. I was hoping it was the cheap blades but after replacing both main and tail rotor blades with good carbon fiber blades the problem continues. Any ideas on what to replace next?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My guess is this "bad vibration" was the root cause of the original tail wag.

I had a similar situation - replaced the servo, the gyro etc and it never went away.
It turned out it was a bad main shaft.

For you, I'd check the run out on the tail rotor shaft (is it bent?), bevel gears (are they chipped or the bearings shot) and the TR shaft bearings.
Also check the torque tube & the torque tube bearings.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 11:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Actually, the servo twitch was from the bad gyro. I suspected that since it would twitch on the ground without being started. As for the vibration, I have replaced the blades for good carbon fiber blades, and replaced everything from the boom attachment back. Still have the vibration. Must be something on the head. Just not sure what to start replacing first on the head.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Update, after replacing several parts on the raptor 70 (probably needed to be replaced anyway) I finally got to the root of my problems. Here is what I found:
Rudder servo twitching was from bad/old gyro, replaced it with futaba 401
Tail vibration was caused by head speed being too low since the engine was too rich.
The heli flies GREAT now with no vibration or bad habits!!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

What head speed did you bump it up to?

BTW: When ever my engine starts to act up, I see it in the tail first.
Too rich on the engine causes a yaw vibration as the engine sputters (almost undetectable from the sound the engine is making) and the gyro / fbl controller tries to compensate.
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in